Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 08.03.2010, 04:25 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default A bug that prevents pro music making on PC's. (on practically all TI OS)

Now this has come to the stage, where I feel that other PC users need to know this aswell.

When the VIRUS TI is connected to a PC, it does not, and has not ever been able to remain its pitch - so the pitch will not remain constant, during a songmaking session.

Everyone here can test this for themselves.

1. Open Cubase
2. Set Oscillator balance so, that there is only osc 1 playing.
3. Set Oscillator to Sine wave, and play that from as high a key as possible.
4. (while pressing that high not) Open Devices (Go to Devices Setup) -> VST Audio System - menu, press "Reset ASIO Driver" some times, [..1-15 times will tick the Virus TI off its tuning, and it will start to wander all over..].

Now this is the reason you neither might not have been able to finish your songs with PC - or are not satisfied with the results.

I noticed this only due to having to constantly finetune and retune the instruments in my songs..

This does not ever happen on a MAC and it does not happen ever when the USB cord is not used (..standard MIDI..) - so we are talking about something serious.

I have emailed about this to ACCESS for about a year now, and am only met with ignorance and the unwillingness to sort this thing out. They also have stated that they are not either able or willing to fix this, so that PC users could make music with constant tuning of their synth.

I have tried to help ACCESS fix this behind closed doors, because the way I see it this is mostly embarassing for a synth developer - and I have had the most respect for this company.

Their official explanation has held 2 variations.

1. This is "phase drifting". (Only phase drifting for a single sine wave is virtually impossible)

2. This is analogue emulation algorithm (which for some reason does not happen on a MAC or in Stand Alone mode)

This resembles the companys overall attitude, and ignorance concerning this thing.

..A synth needs to hold its tune - this is the most basic functionality..
Old 08.03.2010, 04:58 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

[quote=Jussi;295773]
4. (while pressing that high not) Open Devices (Go to Devices Setup) -> VST Audio System - menu, press "Reset ASIO Driver" some times, [..1-15 times will tick the Virus TI off its tuning, and it will start to wander all over..].
quote]

Must the Virus driver be selected or the soundcard driver selected?
In both cases nothing happens here on WinXPsp3 & Cubase 5
Old 08.03.2010, 05:14 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

You are right, When I transpose my keyboard 3 times and play the highest note as possible, after hitting the reset button several times and hit and release the key several times, the pitch changes and is not constant
Old 08.03.2010, 09:30 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

This is interesting, but i've haven't found it with my setup. XP SP3, Ableton, Mbox 2.
Old 08.03.2010, 10:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran

just out of curiosity, in which case would one reset the driver without a good reason anyway? i mean a good reason as in "something is entirely wrong".

marc

Follow the Virus on Twitter: http://twitter.com/accessmusic
Watch the Virus on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/accessmusic
Become Infected friends on Facebook: http://facebook.com/pages/Virus/77569453701
Old 08.03.2010, 10:26 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
just out of curiosity, in which case would one reset the driver without a good reason anyway? i mean a good reason as in "something is entirely wrong".

marc
Kinda what I was thinking.

Only problems I've had in the last couple years with Cubase and the TI in regards to tuning was when Cubase hiccups and drops the sampling rate down...of course that's not really a tuning issue, and has nothing to do with the Virus, but it's the only issue I've had that comes close to what the OP is describing. You'd think if this was as big of an issue as the OP is trying to make it out to be, that you'd hear a lot more fuss about it by now.
Old 08.03.2010, 10:28 PM
Pro
Pro

Sometimes I will get pitch drift if Cubase has been running for 4 or 5 hours in a complex project or I have been tabbing in and out of Cubase to other applications - if that starts to happen - I save project, turn off virus, and do a soft reset with the arp edit combo - fixes it back to normal. I too am also curious why you would hold down a note on a synth then keep resetting a driver - would you really expect it to keep working? Shouldnt you be stopping any audio information so the driver can reset correctly?

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 08.03.2010, 11:29 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Bug?? You mean Feature!! Pitch drift just shows how dedicated Access is to true analog modeling
Old 09.03.2010, 11:51 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:

marc
I never noticed it and I never reseted the driver before. It also does not "prevents" me of making music. (But I doesn't make pro-music )

BR

Last edited by HUEY : 09.03.2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11.03.2010, 07:06 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:

marc
Yeah,

well, it is not just the Reset ASIO driver.

All ASIO programs reset the ASIO driver on multiple instances, when opening VST plugins for instance.

Reaper - as an example - resets the ASIO driver every time "play" is pressed.. In that program it does not take 30 minutes of songmaking or more to notice - as it is with Cubase.

This is the problem.

It goes offkey for zillions of reasons..