Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 28.04.2005, 10:24 PM
This forum member lives here

There is some talk on the Virus mailing list about the USB1.1 thingy. What would be quite interesting to know is how Alesis have been able to incorperate genuine USB2 on the fusion and still produce a workstation which costs less than the TI.

Just wondering.....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 29.04.2005, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
There is some talk on the Virus mailing list about the USB1.1 thingy. What would be quite interesting to know is how Alesis have been able to incorperate genuine USB2 on the fusion and still produce a workstation which costs less than the TI.

Just wondering.....

DS
good point.
access? 8O

cheers

blay
Old 29.04.2005, 07:19 AM
Veteran
Veteran

As was eloquently explained by a couple of posters on that list, Access are not going to give anyone a detailed breakdown of their development and manufacturing costs. Nor should they - it is none of our business.

As for why Alesis can do this - well, because they can.

Drop it already.

TI is USB1.1
Old 29.04.2005, 07:55 AM

Ben, Ive just read those reply's on the list. Truth is....do I give a shit about USB1.1.........no of course I dont! For the past 35 years we've been using analog outs......

Of course...the TI will allow some users the opportunity to stream some audio directly into their application. But for me (and probably quite a few others) the biggest use of the USB will goto using the programmable ARP and patch librarian etc etc.

Since I believe its bad to use more than 2 or 3 sounds from any one synth in a song.....the USB1.1 isnt exactly a groundshaking limitation. As I said before....most sounds should be recorded in mono (esp basses and leads, blips and bleeps) and only pads and a few other sounds really benefit from stereo. Hmmm and you people sometimes wonder why you cant get everything sitting in you mix neatly. Well your sure making life hard work by recording everything in stereo.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 29.04.2005, 09:18 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah - sorry for the somewhat curt response, but to be honest that whole topic on the mailing list has become tiresome in the extreme.

Ultimately, the reasons behind any of Access' design decisions are destined to be known by no-one except Access themselves. However, they have at least responded to the 'why not usb2?' question by stating it has to do with keeping the TI at a particular price-point.

The thing is, Access are sometimes very communicative with their customers. This is of course a good thing, but it has a down-side - that is, people expect them to be as forthright about every aspect of their business. If this was a product from any of the 'big 3' you could be certain of a complete wall of silence from day one.
Old 29.04.2005, 09:42 AM

^ Very true

Manufacturers such as Korg and Roland are very impersonal these days. Ive tried asking them questions....and do I get a response....nope.

Dont worry Ben about your response. No apology needed.....hell thats the beauty of this forum. You can say what you like....and its good to have this freedom. At the end of the day there is a bloody fine line between selling a ?1500 synth (and selling decent numbers) and selling a synth for ?1700 and shifting half the numbers. Ive done business at A-Level....so I am all too aware of the factors involved in making a finanacially viable product. This was partly Waldorf's downfall.....they didnt quite hit the pricepoint customers were prepared to pay.

At the end of the day, the new features of the TI are great and there *is* nothing on the market to compare it too. I for one have ranted abit recently (I think at some point everyone has/does)....but have I gone out and bought a ?800 NL2x....nope! I know at the back of my mind I'd regret the decision...and like most things in life....you goto sometimes wait for things worth having.

So, in the meantime...im just biding my time

DS

Old 29.04.2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingPoint
The latest ETA on zZounds.com is end of June (had been end of April). I'm not saying it will be here by then--rather, it will definitely NOT be here before then.
I believe this info is no more reliable than any other dealer's estimates, early or late.
Speaking of which...

I have some new info my distributor!

It seems the paint IS dry on the trucks and shipping will commence shortly!

Now there is a few glitches however...

It seems the first shippment will be without an OS at all. Of course you can switch them on and look at the blank screen. Maybe you could make the sounds with your mouth while waiting for the OS to arrive via email though.

USB will be dropped to make way for CV. This will make the TI backwards compatible. Far far back....

My distributer is very reliable and I trust him completely, so things are finally looking up for you guys who are waiting. Your blank soundless CV box will be arriving shortly!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 29.04.2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
USB will be dropped to make way for CV. This will make the TI backwards compatible. Far far back....
LMAO....hurray!!!!

DS

Old 29.04.2005, 03:51 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Simonb

I went to turnkey today and i noticed on the pre-orders that they have 71 TI desktops about 50 kTI's. Their ETA date is 3rd/may/05 and the guy said in the shop that it hasn't changed for a while.

Just a boring fact.
Old 29.04.2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb
Just a boring fact.
no, just more propoganda

cheers

blay