Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 14.03.2010, 04:06 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default Ableton midi channel help needed

Hey all,

Does anyone know how to control multiple midi channels with only one midi channel input at the same time?

I have a bass that has 4 layers, outputting out the 3 usb outs on my Virus, I currently have to copy midi notes into each midi channel after I play it. Does anyone know how I can control all lines at once? Im using ableton 8.

Hope this makes sense,

Weka

Last edited by boborulz : 15.03.2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 14.03.2010, 03:05 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Midi map the arm butons with a button on your midi controller or key on the keyboard and they should arm and when you arm another chanel the first one will still stay armed untill you turn it off. If you have an apc 40 you can push multiple arms at the same time. I will only record on one track but it will play all the tracks that are armed so you will hear all layers at the same time.
Old 14.03.2010, 08:19 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborulz View Post
Hey all,

Does anyone know how to control multiple midi channels with only one midi controller at the same time?

I have a bass that has 4 layers, outputting out the 3 usb outs on my Virus, I currently have to copy midi notes into each midi channel after I play it. Does anyone know how I can control all lines at once? Im using ableton 8.

Hope this makes sense,

Weka
It's not clear what you want to do, but it sounds to me like you have multiple sounds stacked together and you want to trigger one or another depending on key velocity. If that's what you want, it's not too hard to do. I don't use Ableton Live and I'm not familiar with it, but in other DAW's it's quite easy to set MIDI filters restricting the range of velocities that trigger one MIDI event or another.
Old 15.03.2010, 08:59 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Midi map the arm butons with a button on your midi controller or key on the keyboard and they should arm and when you arm another chanel the first one will still stay armed untill you turn it off. If you have an apc 40 you can push multiple arms at the same time. I will only record on one track but it will play all the tracks that are armed so you will hear all layers at the same time.
Hey thanks for that,

Care to clarify that a little more? It sounds like the right idea, just quite can't get my head around it.

Also don't have an APC 40. But my Axiom 49 has pads on it I can use.

Cheers
Old 16.03.2010, 12:19 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Also someone mentioned instrument racks in ableton for this, anyone know anything about this?
Old 16.03.2010, 08:39 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Heres an easy way, up in the top right corner of ableton is the midi map and key map buttons you can push the key map buton click the red (arm record activate) button at the bottom of you midi chanel and press a key on your computer kybrd (like 1,2,3 and so on) to map it two then repeat with your other midi chanels to other keys, once different keys are maped to different chanels you can activate each chanel with each button. Press multiple keys at the same time to activate multiple chanels at once. It will play all active chanels with each note you hit on your midi controller and will also allow you to layer the virus with other synths and plugins as well. Sorry I ve been tied up with work and havent had a chance to get back to your pm but I will.