Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 09.03.2010, 09:23 PM
New here
New here

nothing is better than the sounds you make by yourself, all of these soundsets are cheap and commercial, they were synthesized to fit exactly in the ear of people who dont know much about synthesis and production.
i tought it was good too... before i realised that its just a delusion after i learned to synthsize.
its just another easy way for them to make money, people who make really good sounds dont sell them.
Old 10.03.2010, 12:07 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingear View Post
I disagree - I bought the Polar knowing very little about subtractive synthesis and the ability to look at what the settings are on patches has taught me so much about what parameters change what types of sound instead of blindly fumbling in the dark - the ability to buy a professional sound set and have a look at those sounds/edits as well is worth the price of admission alone.

Consider it the same way you would a piano lesson - a bit of money, for the ability to pick up new information you likely would not learn on your own.

Also it seems to me a fair few people post music on the forums, perhaps you just dont notice.
You can learn how to create your own sounds by studying the patches that already come with your TI. No need to spend any extra money, IMHO.
Old 10.03.2010, 09:59 AM
Pro
Pro

Thats exactly what I said?

"I bought the Polar knowing very little about subtractive synthesis and the ability to look at what the settings are on patches has taught me so much about what parameters change what types of sound instead of blindly fumbling in the dark - the ability to buy a professional sound set and have a look at those sounds/edits as well is worth the price of admission alone."

If I was dead keen on making exactly the same sounds as the ones in a soundset for my instrument, I would pay the cash - as it stands there are no banks that I would consider a must buy for the educational experience.

As I said, consider it a form of a lesson.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 10.03.2010, 02:29 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

init patch for me thanks
Old 10.03.2010, 09:09 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

This can go on for days, you can create your own patches all day long but somewhere along the lines someone is going to come up with a patch that either you never came up with yourself or never even thought of. And Im sure somewhere along the lines you guys have all used a preset on the virus weather you changed something mildly or durasticly and wrote a song or practiced your chops. Obviously if you dont want to buy them dont but others would and Im sure they dont appricate being told that if they do they arnt real synth enthusiasts. I wright new patches every day that I persony feel are of high quality but if the Depech Mode or Noisia or Deadmau5 came out with a patch set I would gladly purchase just as I have with the Ummet Ozcan and others. I bet every now and then even they have modified presets poping up in there songs and I dont think any less of them. Do what you want we all forked out a couple grand for our synths that we are all proud of.

Last edited by ShortBus : 10.03.2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10.03.2010, 09:40 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

@ ShortBus

+1
Old 11.03.2010, 12:02 AM
Pro
Pro

Does make me wonder why people buy patches, what if an original commercial patch was leant to someone and they changed it, tweaked it and never used the original. Would that be allowed/? and who would know where your patch derived from!
In short if someone was to, for arguement sake, purchase a pack, tweak it and redistribute it as there own where would the legalities fade and the legitamacy kick in!?!??! If i sample someone elses Steinway piano and am allowed to play that commercially or in public with no reprecussions, but take someone else playing a steinway in a tune would infringe copyright.

Overall i can see that people have a natural flare for replicating or creating patches to sell, some people have made a name for themselves doing this.
I agree with shortbus as someone else patch can prove influential in a song or the foundation for a new patch.
However I am also in the same mind as Bernie. Why use someone elses patch unless you want to sound or replicate someone else 'sound'.

What I am saying is a patch is not a sample and if sold, copied or leant it is totally uneforceable if not hyperthetical!!!

UNDERSTAND ME?

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx