Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 09.03.2010, 02:27 PM
Pro
Pro

Default a few questions about workflow

Before getting the Virus ti snow, i only used to use soft synths...
I am finding the new workflow a little distracting . I need to record/bounce each sound,lead etc as soon as i am done making it on the virus. The snow is only 4 part multitimbral.
What is your workflow while using a hardware synth ? do u save patches incase u need to come back to them to make changes after recording the part ?

- I have an analog console and a 4 in 4 out interface. Is it a good idea to use the analog outs on the virus > into the line inputs on the console > out of the busses >into the Interface > record in sequencer....or should i go straight from the virus outs into the interface....
Is it a good idea to run the signal through an analog console ? is it unnecessary? why do electronic producers run the signal through a console ? does it add fatness or warmth to the sound?

- is it better to use USB outputs?
I work on one sound at a time.... so i only require one stereo output at a time...is it better to use the analog outs through a console? or analog outs straight to interface or USB outs...

thanks...
Old 09.03.2010, 09:04 PM
New here
New here

I tend to just stream down to wav once I nail the sound that I like, using the 1/4" outs on the virus into my audio interface. I then mute the MIDI information, but keep it present in the song file. That way I can always come back and make changes to the sound if I ever need to. I find that depending on multi track audio from the virus through the USB to be worthless eventually, since there is a limited number of voices that you have to work with and some sounds will cut out.

It's really no big deal for me to stream down though! I love working with .wavs in Cubase. Wouldn't have it any other way, really.

Purveyor of Funk
Old 09.03.2010, 09:18 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I tend to wright the song before I bounce to audio, You never know the individual patches will react to each other. I dont have to many problems with voices and I like to be able to change peramiters throughout the prodject.
Old 09.03.2010, 11:56 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I use the TI just like another hardware synth, with the advantage that the sound gets into my computer via USB and therefore it doesn't have to go through a mixer and/or audio interface to be digitized first. I don't want to deal with possible polyphony limitations and the vagaries of multitimbrality. Basically, I record one track, edit it for corrections, bounce it to audio and then add another track. However, I rarely use the TI on more than one track (I have a rather large collection of hardware and software synths.) For this reason, I purchased the Snow instead of the more expensive TI or TI2.

As usual, your mileage may vary.
Old 10.03.2010, 09:48 AM
Pro
Pro

Save your midi files and automation for the track, then put them in a folder Eg USED VIRUS TI TRACKS, minimise it when not working with them, whenever you bounce down to audio - as soon as i start going over say two - three VC tracks I will bounce down a couple, rinse and repeat.. If you need to go back all the parts are sitting there waiting for you. Dont forget you can save configured presets to extra folders as well in VC.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 10.03.2010, 09:54 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

It depends on the track. While I'm writing I'll usually just run the seperate midi channels into the virus and run the audio in via USB if I'm only using it for a track or two. If I end up pushing the poly, then I'll bounce what I need to an audio track. It also depends on what, if any, effects I want to apply to a track.

Once I'm done writing, ready to lay down the final tracks and start mixing, then I'll plug in via the physical outs and record each track manually through my outboard gear. You just have to find what works for you.
Old 11.03.2010, 07:26 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Send a message via ICQ to tranqui

in ableton, I usually open VC on one track and add two tracks with "external instrument" devices on them so I can work on / listen to 3 patches at a time (using the USB outs). I save every "important" version of a patch to a free ROM slot so I can quickly listen to the same part of the track through different versions of the patch. I only bounce sounds which I consider finalized, the others remain accessible at all times. depending on the complexity of the sound, I automate some mudulations, but when the arrangement is done, I always record a "live" version first which is usually 4-5x longer than the actual track because I loop the important parts and try out different modulations.

when I'm done, the premix goes on the ipod where I usually listen to it on repeat for a day, taking mental notes which parts need to be improved and which ones will be discarded. then I sit down again to finalize the arrangement, at which point I usually get lost in jamming again and nothing ever gets done...
Old 12.03.2010, 04:44 AM
Pro
Pro

hey...

i forgot to ask earlier....what happens to the automation you create for parameters.....what i mean is...after i bounce down to audio and then go back to the virus to create the next sound or next set of 4 sounds
(virus snow ), all the automation from the previous sounds is still there....the knobs are moving too.....
how do i reset of really quickly delete all the automation for all parameters...?

thanks..