Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 22.02.2010, 07:58 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Default Problems with polyphony and latency

I'm feeling quite some latency on my TI2 polar, when I - for instance -play 4 tones with a trancy hook sound with voices set to 4.
You know, it's just a little, but definitely some - and too much...
And if I want to stack different sounds for really fat leads in multi-mode, it's really bad...
The feeling is... like I'm unable to play all the tones at exactly the same time, but as a trained pianist I know I'm playing it at exactly the same time...

I thought the TI2 was supposed to have lots of DSP power...

Anyone knows if this can be fixed or anything?

BTW - we're talking stand-alone mode... No USB, only audio cables to my mixer (rehearsing for a spring tour starting in one week, so I have to get the problems solved pretty soon)...

Last edited by Storm Music : 10.05.2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 22.02.2010, 08:27 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Are we talking Ti to mixer to daw and then to speakers because that would make sense but ive never had latency from the Ti itself. If so I would have that checked out. Maybe check the amp and filter attack on the patches.
Old 22.02.2010, 08:32 PM
Complete Newbie

No daw involved... (well I'm monitoring through my RME soundcard right now, but still directly in an analogue mixer the same thing happens)...
Already checked the amp and filter attacks...
Old 22.02.2010, 08:32 PM
Complete Newbie

No daw involved... (well I'm monitoring through my RME soundcard right now, but still directly in an analogue mixer the same thing happens)...
Already checked the amp and filter attacks...
Old 22.02.2010, 08:35 PM
Am starting to like this forum

that's strange...I understand you could have some polyphony problems...but it would be like some cuts, or notes ending abruptly, not latency
My personal music (classical, soundtrack, anything else): http://www.myspace.com/stefanobottarellimusic

"Everything starts with E"
Old 22.02.2010, 08:39 PM
Complete Newbie

I just came across another thing:
I was tweaking ROM-C 3 "BadCntaxHS" - and changed it from mono to poly, and suddenly it started making a whole lot of noise, when I play more than one note at a time...
Check it out:
http://www.stormclements.dk/mp3/Virus%20Noise.mp3

It's not directly related to the other problem I have experienced, but maybe they are both symptoms of a sick DSP unit or something...

And it's not the converters of my RME soundcard that are being overdriven - it was recorded at around -30db... And it sounds the same in the headphones...

This really makes nervous, 'cause something similar happened to my old virus indigo just before it crashed and totally died....

If somebody would please try to do the same thing with the same sound to see if it's not just my TI2, I would be really grateful!!
Old 22.02.2010, 08:45 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakhai View Post
that's strange...I understand you could have some polyphony problems...but it would be like some cuts, or notes ending abruptly, not latency

Tried doing some soft resets (arp edit held down) of the TI and seeing if that helps? As Alakhai said, it's more likely youd hear notes being stolen, dropping out then a latency issue. Try turning off various parts of the TI (fx etc) and see if you can get the latency reduced.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 22.02.2010, 09:14 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Try hooking up speakers or headphones directly to the headphone or analogouts of the TI.
Old 22.02.2010, 09:26 PM
Complete Newbie

Did that already.... Same thing happens...
Also tried resetting... No change...
Old 01.03.2010, 04:50 PM
Complete Newbie

i may be interpreting this incorrectly, but if you're talking about notes not playing at exactly the same time as you are inputting them when running your Virus in standalone mode (no VC), i have the exact same problem. it seems that the DSP can't handle playing back voices in time when there is significant processor load. in VC mode, playback is better because it has time to buffer (i think). in standalone, it has to do it all in realtime, and shows its true (lack of) power.

as a test, try creating a very basic patch - just 2 standard sawtooth oscillators, no effects, no fancy filters, and play with the amp env release time. should be spot on. then, try changing one of the oscillators to any other oscillator type and do the same. now there should be some noticeable delay. of course, stacking voices will further throw things out of whack.

i've talked to support about this a number of times and it is apparently a known issue, but there is no fix forthcoming. i guess they're focusing all their effort on the VC integration.

so, if you're not using your unit in VC mode, probably best to stick to using it for pads. or keep your patches ridiculously simple.

hope that helps.
cheers, paul.