Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 11.09.2009, 01:51 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default white noise sweep?

does anyone know how to make a white noise sweep on the ti? is there a white noise osc? (might have terminology wrong lol)
Old 11.09.2009, 07:55 AM
New here
New here

id love to know as well ;]
Old 11.09.2009, 07:18 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to HiEnergy Send a message via AIM to HiEnergy Send a message via Yahoo to HiEnergy

There's a slider for adding noise of adjustable color next to the oscillator balance, I guess (don't have my TI right here...)
Old 11.09.2009, 08:47 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

found it! thanks!
Old 14.09.2009, 09:57 AM
New here
New here

Is there a way to generate noise from the TI while muting any other oscillator (osc1-osc2-osc3) at the same time to create whoosh-type effects?
Old 14.09.2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Yes, there's a noise generator. Dive in to the oscillator menus and turn Noise Volume up.

Now turn the Osc Vol knob down (it's the same knob as used for saturation intensity).

You should just be able to hear white noise at this point. You can also try altering the Noise Colour by going into the oscillator menu again to look at the Noise Generator settings. Negative Colour values will make the noise deeper and thunderous, while positive values give you a brighter, higher noise.

Now the sweep: In the filters, keep the resonance fairly low, otherwise it might be too piercing (or narrow, especially if band-pass is enabled). Low pass or band pass filters (with no resonance) are best for wind/sea noise type stuff.

Modulate the filter cutoff using a standard triangle LFO for a simple sweeping effect, or use sample&glide LFO for natural random sweeps. Using LFO2 is best as it's already linked to the Filters.

Or you can use the Filter Env to create fading filter sweeps by pressing keys on the keyboard instead.

The Phaser effect is pretty good on wind/sea noise, too. Change the number of phaser Stages for more natural or unnatural effects (fewer stages = more natural/subtle).

Hope this makes sense....
Old 15.09.2009, 11:09 AM
New here
New here

Amazing, thanks for the tips! I overlooked that Osc Vol controls the volume of the 3 oscillators but NOT the volume of the noise oscillator.

Thanks again!!
Old 15.09.2009, 02:14 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_kay View Post
Osc Vol controls the volume of the 3 oscillators but NOT the volume of the noise oscillator.

Thanks again!!
and NOT the volume of the ring modulation
Old 15.09.2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_kay View Post
I overlooked that Osc Vol controls the volume of the 3 oscillators but NOT the volume of the noise oscillator.
Must admit I did too, until Howard Scarr pointed out the osc volume knob to me a few years ago (I thought it was just a saturation/drive knob). Before then I had a considerably more long winded arrangement to get the noise on its own, using oscillator routings, split filters, blahdy blah.