Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 12.03.2005, 12:56 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by c mode
Well basically you are right. Second hand gear here is fairly cheap and generally excellent quality. Theres some great stuff in Akihabara as I'm sure you know.
For sure! Some of the better ones seem to be in the "cooler" towns though I rekon.

Quote:
The Classic prices I quoted were for new ones from shops in shibuya. Ishibashi and Rock on actually. They throw on a hefty profit for sure. Still I can make a buck or two myself I think.
Yep, Ishibashi does crank up prices (in Tokyo specially), but I bought my Roland HPD15 drum from them (shibuya store) and pushed them down 14000yen - took work though!.

Quote:
I saw an sh101 second hand at Ishibashi for 30 000yen. Seemed an ok price for such and old (but still handy) synth. Don't have the table top space tho..
Not a bad price, but they go for much cheaper on the auctions and stuff. 101s have risen in price by double since I've been here. 8O But Junos have dropped sharply.

Quote:
Anyway let me put your offer on hold till I get the classic. I'll see what its all about, then if I outgrow it I'll hit You up for the C. I'm guessing you'd like to upgrade to a Ti?
No problem. The quickest thing to out grow will be the voices - even on the C there isn't enough. Then there are the filters (that's more personal taste though). If you put on an extra 1man yen, I'd even bring it to tokyo for ya.

And yeh, upgrading to a TI would be nice. Not sure if I could do that straight away though - I'd wait for a year to see if the bugs get ironed out first.

Quote:
Do you know the japanese list price btw?
No I'm not sure now. The only price list I had was for when I bought mine. The prices were very inflated on that list though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS
HC...if u hadnt of bought the VC...what would you have bought? Im guessing a Jupiter 6 for starters. THey are cheep in ur neck of the woods. Japanese analogs go for alot more over here in the West. Just as the american poly's (sequential, oberheim etc)....go for alot in asia.
Outboard, outboard and then a little more outboard. I may have grabbed an MS2000 and ION in there too though.

To buy good condition older analogues, it's more a waiting game. If I see good ones pop up I'll grab them any way. I could sell them at home for much more, so it's like investing.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 12.03.2005, 01:12 AM
Pro
Pro

My comments on the topic would be:

If ya lookin to save some cash, get a second hand B rather than a new classic. Basically the same synth for less than half the price (sometimes) then either wait for the TI or spend the balance on other gear.

I don't really need any more that 24 voice polyphony as I only make the virus do one thing at a time so the C just isn't worth the extra money to me just for eq (can do that with the desk) and a moog filter (which would be nice, but not as useful as a whole new synth for the same money)

I'm personally going to keep my B even if I get a TI one day because I guarantee they will be different sounding machines. And might actually compliment each other really well.

Besides, I'm a collectaholic and I like owning old school gear.
Old 12.03.2005, 01:16 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
If ya lookin to save some cash, get a second hand B rather than a new classic. Basically the same synth for less than half the price (sometimes) then either wait for the TI or spend the balance on other gear.
Yeah true that. B's are going pretty cheap. Actually it's real tempting to spend the money I would save on more gear. At the moment I'm trying really hard to keep my set-up small, minimal, and good quality. Generally the more gear I get the more I waste time messing around without getting anything done.. but it's hella fun.

Quote:
I don't really need any more that 24 voice polyphony as I only make the virus do one thing at a time so the C just isn't worth the extra money to me just for eq (can do that with the desk) and a moog filter (which would be nice, but not as useful as a whole new synth for the same money)
I kinda work the same way. But I'm hoping to get more into tweaking things on board a little.
Old 12.03.2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
I don't really need any more that 24 voice polyphony as I only make the virus do one thing at a time.
I don't use the C in multi-timbral mode much either. But alot of voices are a must for the Virus synths. If I'm making a bassline or lead sound, I'll run heavy unsion with no detune or pan spread just to get a more powerfull sound. I couldn't imagine having less voices than the C actually - at least sometimes I can layer a few sounds together .....Infact voices are one of the nicer points with the new TI.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 12.03.2005, 02:33 PM

Id have to agree with HC on the voices. The Virus really does benefit from unison mode......pads, leads and bass all require it imho.

On the 24 note versions you can easily find yourself with 8 note poly for pad sounds.....thats a little tricky if your using long sustaining tri chords or whatever you call them.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....