Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 04.04.2014, 02:46 PM
New here
New here

Default Getting the LFO to start at the same place with every note?

I've owned a Virus Snow for a few months now, and absolutely love it! I've been too lazy to get the plugin working with my setup so for now I'm just controlling it via good old MIDI and recording it through my audio interface.

The only problem I've had with this setup is that I'm unable to use the LFO reliably because it seems to be synced to the Virus' internal clock and keeps starting at different points during the LFO - for example I might be using the LFO to modulate OSC volume and when I play a note it might start at 0 amplitude or full amplitude, or somewhere in between.

I suppose I could probably fix this by syncing the virus' internal clock to my DAW, but ideally I'd like the LFO to start from the same place every time I play a note without having to do that (I'm not that MIDI savvy unfortunately). Is there a way to easily do this? Maybe something like the Osc section's phase init except for the LFOs? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04.04.2014, 02:58 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Easy. There's a parameter called "trigger phase" on the LFO's edit menu. Self explanatory, works exactly like "phase init" does for the oscillators.

Don't expect it to start in the same place for each note if your LFO is set to mono, though. In that case, you'd really just be selecting the initial starting position of the cycle, but the cycle would not restart with each key pressed. It only does that when it's set to Poly mode or in Env Mode (one shot).

The Virus can receive Midi Clock information from your host as long as the settings are right both with your Virus (check manual) and your host (same). Those options within the DAW are usually somewhere on the Midi menu on the preferences. This will allow you to sync everything time-based with the tempo of the song you're writing of course.

Cheers
Old 04.04.2014, 04:12 PM
New here
New here

Thanks so much! Going to give all that a shot tonight, this has been driving me absolutely crazy for a while now.
Old 06.04.2014, 12:51 PM
Veteran
Veteran

you can also head to Access Music's website and watch the bootcamp video #10.

you need to log in, then head to support> videos and there it is. you can also find them on vimeo, if you search for access music - and it's a far better player imo. cheers
Old 06.04.2014, 01:16 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post

you need to log in, then head to support> videos and there it is. you can also find them on vimeo, if you search for access music - and it's a far better player imo. cheers
I'll check that out as well! The trigger phase on the LFO was exactly what I was looking for - I believe I tried to use it before but I set the LFO to mono, which is why I could never get it to do what I wanted lol. Thanks.
Old 06.04.2014, 02:39 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Indeed, the Virus' LFOs are really powerful compared to other synths once you grasp the features and terminology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post

Bootcamp series can also be gotten here:

http://infekted.org/virus/showthread...469#post300469