Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 16.07.2013, 06:59 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
thanks for the listen man. Moby was the first artitst to rip this off in one of his very first hits "Go" & has made a ton of money ripping off other people ever since. Being a DJ & huge samplist I have no problem using other people's stuff for my own evil intentions & this synth part fit the bill perfectly (add evil Vincent Price cackle here)
Funny! May I ask how people such as Moby side-step copy write infringements with say David Lynch when blatantly swiping original samples? Are they limited to how many bars used? Is the original simply augmented/diminished or key signature change to carefully side step? In a DJ setting, (which I did a side job while stationed in Iceland...way too many free shots ), I can understand the DJ would have A LOT more creative freedom but when someone such as Moby crosses the DJ to recording fartist (did I say that ), just how is this done without worrying about a litigiously ruinous situation?
Understand I am not faulting anyone, these are serious questions. (and please do not tell me David Lynch does not give a frack)
Old 17.07.2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Funny! May I ask how people such as Moby side-step copy write infringements with say David Lynch when blatantly swiping original samples? Are they limited to how many bars used? Is the original simply augmented/diminished or key signature change to carefully side step? In a DJ setting, (which I did a side job while stationed in Iceland...way too many free shots ), I can understand the DJ would have A LOT more creative freedom but when someone such as Moby crosses the DJ to recording fartist (did I say that ), just how is this done without worrying about a litigiously ruinous situation?
Understand I am not faulting anyone, these are serious questions. (and please do not tell me David Lynch does not give a frack)
You can quite legally use a sample from anyone's work IF you obtain permission & license it properly. This is when both party's agree on a small percentage of the sales of the record to be given to the original copyright owner of the track & of course the record company usually takes a cut. You would be surprised at how many people will let you use a sample of there music for a small fee...it's all gravy for them as it gives old tracks new life & usually boost sales of long forgotten tunes. There are thousands of old tracks that have re-emerged because they have been used in other peoples music, commercials etc.
There is a very short time limit however as far as sampling is concerned where you dont have to pay ANYBODY. Go onto somewhere like Beatport & see how many 2 bar samples you can spot from old house, jazz & disco tunes that are called something else entirely. Theft is virile at the moment.
Old 17.07.2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

So as this track seemed to be quite popular I thought I would make a video for it. It's quite trippy & dark in the spirit of the Twin Peaks theme. You can check it out here...
http://youtu.be/8OP6z-GCj1I
Any comments welcome!
Old 18.07.2013, 12:56 AM
Pro
Pro

Lovely! Images from "Twin Peaks" and animation just work, seamlessly! David Lynch's college thesis movie project, "Eraserhead", is another total mind warp to watch and listen to and my brain still is yet to wrap totally around "Mulholland Drive"....a true master at modern surrealism, whom you have given great justice and honor to!!
Did you know that David Lynch's film version of book, "Dune", he actually commissioned "Toto", yes, the 'synthy band' from that era? THAT would also make for some awesome sampling and give it your Berni twist....hint, hint!!
Those images, combined with music really made my low-moment of a night, reach a peak high! Thanks! (it's hot as hell here and living in central air)
Old 18.07.2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Lovely! Images from "Twin Peaks" and animation just work, seamlessly! David Lynch's college thesis movie project, "Eraserhead", is another total mind warp to watch and listen to and my brain still is yet to wrap totally around "Mulholland Drive"....a true master at modern surrealism, whom you have given great justice and honor to!!
Did you know that David Lynch's film version of book, "Dune", he actually commissioned "Toto", yes, the 'synthy band' from that era? THAT would also make for some awesome sampling and give it your Berni twist....hint, hint!!
Those images, combined with music really made my low-moment of a night, reach a peak high! Thanks! (it's hot as hell here and living in central air)
Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed. Up to this point I have been using iMovie for my vids which is OK but not very pro. I noticed on Apples site that you could get a 1 month free trial of Final cut pro X so I thought what the hey & grabbed it. It's kind of like iMovie on steroids with a lot more features, FX etc. Only had it since Monday evening & already managed to crank out this vid with it. Still a lot to learn with it but having a blast doing so.