Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 24.11.2005, 09:32 AM
New here
New here

Default I know a fairly authentic piano sound is possible, but how?

Hi, I'm new here.

Occasionally when playing around with the Virus, I come across a sound which is extremely close to a real piano sound, probably about 95% of the way there. I am sure that with some editing that a decent piano sound could be created, but being fairly new to the Virus I'm not that great at programming it (to be honest I have no clue yet).

Is there a decent piano sound anywhere on the internet that I could load into my Virus? Or have one of you guys managed to create one?

I know the Virus is not supposed to excel at real acoustic sounds, and getting them from a virus may not be easy, however I am certain it is possible with some work.

Thanks very much in advance!
Old 24.11.2005, 04:03 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Piano-like sounds are possible, but a even slightly realistic piano is unfortunately no-can-do. If you long for a acoustic sounding piano go for free sampler plugins & samples. Only "realistic" piano stuff Virus can do are electromechanical pianos, like Rhodes and Wurly.
Old 24.11.2005, 09:51 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Default Re: I know a fairly authentic piano sound is possible, but h

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8jweb
Hi, I'm new here.

Occasionally when playing around with the Virus, I come across a sound which is extremely close to a real piano sound, probably about 95% of the way there. I am sure that with some editing that a decent piano sound could be created, but being fairly new to the Virus I'm not that great at programming it (to be honest I have no clue yet).

Is there a decent piano sound anywhere on the internet that I could load into my Virus? Or have one of you guys managed to create one?

I know the Virus is not supposed to excel at real acoustic sounds, and getting them from a virus may not be easy, however I am certain it is possible with some work.

Thanks very much in advance!
Don?t bother trying. You won?t even get close. You won?t be able to get a realistic sound of the strings. The string are of different thickness, there?s 3 different types of strings and there are only 2 string in the low end but 3 in the mid and high end and besides all this the strings of one note are tuned slightly diffent. A real piano also sound very different at different velocities and you won?t be able to get the tiny differences that does the final touch (the key is pressed, the hammer slams, the reconance of the piano-case, etc.)...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 25.11.2005, 09:31 AM
New here
New here

ok fair enough Thanks for your replies.
Old 25.12.2005, 07:35 PM
Newborn
Newborn

You may find this article interesting:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Oct0...hsecrets10.asp

it very comprehensively explains why you can't subtractively synthesize realistic acoustic pianos.