Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 13.02.2006, 12:00 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Default Virus TI - pseudoTrance - need advice on mixing

Hey folks,

My first Virus TI enabled track is up and running, but I need some advice on mixing if anyone can help.

Please ignore the lack of attention to composition and embellishments throughout as it's unfinished. I want to get the sounds well balanced, and then bounce them into a sample sequencing engine I wrote with SuperCollider to create something more interesting than the usual trance fare.

Trance sounds are what do it for me, so this mix is the starting point...

http://www.electroniclife.co.uk/pseu...rator_r404.mp3

Any tips on getting sounding clearer/fatter ?

Thanks in advance,

pseudo
Old 13.02.2006, 04:59 PM
This forum member lives here

for clearer sounds, just slap an eq on your sounds. It sounds muddy because ther eare too many mid tones. you need to eq and cut some out on sounds. pan is also a good friend when used right.

Search the SOS archives, I am sure they have tutorials on mixing.

Good luck. It is the hardest part to learn. And there is no right or wrong way, just guidlines to follow.
Old 13.02.2006, 06:26 PM
Amateur
Amateur

If anything the hats are to bright thin. Nice reverse loop Sounds are nice I like the bass and kick. What style of trance are you looking to produce? The bass and kick are fat BTW if you want warmth use a real analog or process it through a tube even. Use your imagination and ears. Sometimes lowering the levels on the mix and allowing more room for transience can make the mix sound more clear!

Keep it up 8O
Old 14.02.2006, 12:13 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

ta guys,

I think lowering levels is going to help. I can't seem to get a handle on the bass. I want it to resonate nicely, but I keep judging it differently from one minute to the next. I know my monitor speakers are shit, and the acoustics in the room aren't the best. Am I attempting the impossible to control the bass without proper acoustics?

Thanks again!

pseudo
Old 14.02.2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I can't seem to get a handle on the bass. I want it to resonate nicely, but I keep judging it differently from one minute to the next. I know my monitor speakers are shit, and the acoustics in the room aren't the best. Am I attempting the impossible to control the bass without proper acoustics?
One thing you can do is play the mix on a variety of different monitors, in different places. Check the mix in the car, on a stereo, at a friends place...

Figure out what is wrong with your room, and compensate. As long as you know your monitors well, and know their shortcomings, you should be able to get a good mix from them.

Edit: Finally got a chance to listen. Nice track. I like the minimalist feel. The mix sounds OK here in regards to bass. The kick really stands out, nice and thumping. I like the way the track builds and builds, without adding anything too noticable

Sweet!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 15.02.2006, 12:48 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Great!

Thanks.

I've had a cloud of depression over me - this is the first track I've worked on for about 4 years (after detouring to secure a career in I.T.), so there's a lot of emotional baggage that comes with it..

... I *have* to get it right, get it pressed, and get it played...

I think maybe I'm being too critical, and should let the mastering engineers work their magic when it's compositionally finished.

Cheers again,

pseudo
Old 15.02.2006, 01:08 PM
New here
New here

Send a message via MSN to rhys

i aint gonna dish out advice to you mate cos i got a post running asking about the quality of my tracks also.but i will just let you know that i thought it was pretty awsome,loved the techy feel and the flow of the bassline.i never usually use kicks like that because i just cant seem to make them work,i find they take up a bit to much room in the mix but i think it worked just great in this track.

www.soundclick.com/rhysgriffiths

www.myspace.com/15812572
Old 15.02.2006, 01:23 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

thanks man!

just looking for your thread now to see if I can help!

pseudo