Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 14.01.2004, 08:40 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default Audio production noob

just thought I would upload my very first real effort with my spanking new Indigo 2, its a 4 bar clip, designed to be played in a loop really.

The thing is, I have little clue about production values, my approach so far has been to just hammer stuff in and see how it turns out. Could anyone give me some hints as how to get your music from this level (straight midi, very little in the way of plugins etc.) up to professional production standard?

If I'm not being to confusing or vague.. :P

Linky:
http://www.liquidgalaxy.com/ShortMixdown.mp3

-
Old 15.01.2004, 01:46 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon
Default Re: Audio production noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash
just thought I would upload my very first real effort with my spanking new Indigo 2, its a 4 bar clip, designed to be played in a loop really.

Could anyone give me some hints as how to get your music from this level (straight midi, very little in the way of plugins etc.) up to professional production standard?

-
Well, first off, it really doesn't sound like your clip is 4 bars. Sounds like it's 8. Usually defined by the kick on 1 & 3 and the snare on 2 & 4....

About the production side of it...the best thing to do would be to read a book on modern production, there's a boat-load of them available. Also, magazines like computer music and future music are useful. And then just a lot of experimentation and practice...it usually takes most people a little while before their tracks start to sound polished and well-produced. That said, certain genres of music lend themselves easier to computer production processes than others, as well. It's really a hard topic to quickly answer.....
Old 15.01.2004, 11:44 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I wouldn't touch those magazines you mentioned anymore. I'd go with Sound-on-Sound magazine. If I knew, I'd say that was the best. There is also a link somewhere in this forum too for all parts of music production. I just don't know what it is.
Old 15.01.2004, 11:54 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hmm... A very basic sound on your clip. Ok mixing, but it did sound a bit metallic/thin.

Go and search books about production techniques. Some magazines offer good articles concerning production, but usually books have that "newbie" aspect seen on magazines and then go much deeper (+ one book contains same amount of information than dozen articles). There should be dozens of production books in your local library. Start checking them out from the newest to oldest (some of the basic laws of production have been the same for decades, but technology is developed and that's why a book from 1976 isn't the best choice). Take a book and leaf if through quicky to get an overall image of what the book has to offer. If it's all about positioning mics, it might not be the book you're looking for. Try to find a book which has extensive chapters about compressing, EQ, mixing and some other various/optional tips & tricks.
Old 15.01.2004, 04:30 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Thanks! I've always found people in this forum to be helpful
Old 18.01.2004, 12:41 AM

just took a listen...

i have to agree with some of the earlier comments...the production is quite thin, but i do like the little melody...

once you have the production side sorted out a little more id really like to hear the whole finished track....
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut