Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 20.06.2007, 07:42 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default high frequency clicks on pad sounds

Hi
Can anyone verify my problem.

I use my TI in standalone mode sequenced by an MPC2500.

However I'm getting pops or crackles through the analog, headphone and digital outs on certain sounds (mainly pads).

Can some one try this for me plz.

1. open patch ROM-R 61 Kismet M
2. hold key C4 for about 20 seconds.
3. listen for high frequency clicks.

I've contacted Access regarding this and they're looking into it.

Altering patch level makes no difference.

Your results would be a help.

Cheers you wonderful peeps.
Old 21.06.2007, 12:03 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Yeh - got a click...
Old 23.06.2007, 05:05 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Thumbs up Cheers Khazul

Thanx for your input Khazul.

Will let you know what Access are doing as soon as I find out.

Nice studio mate and good to see you read my favourite mag.
Old 29.06.2007, 01:54 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Hi Peeps,

I own a Virus Ti Polar (my 2nd unit). What a great sounding / looking synth.

I get some clicks on those same patches as well as these:

> ROM O 127 Zeepad SV (little clicks as you play some notes)
> ROM F 19 Cremoma HS (Hold a chord down a few seconds)
> ROM B 49 Halo MS (again some clicks)

I use my Virus Ti Polar through headphones and main outputs 1&2. No USB connected - Standalone.

Os 2.0.5

Please confirm guys?

Cheers.
Old 29.06.2007, 05:31 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Default Yup

This is what I'm getting also.

I'm sure they probably are happening in other patches but because of the nature of them you physically can't hear the clicks.

I sometimes hear them via the digital inputs into the TI.

I monitor via headphones and analogue outs also!

Access have been informed of this by myself however I still have had no feedback as of yet.
Old 30.06.2007, 02:18 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Hi Steamy B,

Did you hear any pops on ROM B 49 Halo MS? Please check this for me. It does take a while to hear, so please be patient. Play some random notes and you will hear tiny clicks through headphones.

Atleast Access are aware about these clicks, so i'm not so worried. Plus i have found many decent patches that don't click, like some cool pads and leads, etc.

Some ROM banks are solid, whilst some ROM banks have a few patches with clicks (all in Standalone with no USB - i just don't get it

I have been told that 'some clicks' are expected when changing from a patch to another patch (due to parameter changes), and also some clicks appear when moving any 'knobs' due to digital parameter changes.

But...some say that OS 1.2.3 was click free, which i have not tried yet! If this is true, then it has to be a software problem and not a hardware one.

Stay in touch.

Cheers.
Old 30.06.2007, 01:18 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Default Clicks on ROM B 49

Yup you're right Groove66

Although this patch is very temporamental.
It took ages to get clicks but they became evident using key velocity.

I've rolled back to 1.23 but I still got the same clicks however I didn't originally notice them till after version 2.0 was released.

I wondered if it had anything to do with the new oscillators however I ruled that out as the roll back to 1.23 didn't remove them.

I also get the clicks on inputs into the TI via S/PDif

I'm still waiting for a reply Access!!!!!!

Will keep you informed Groove
Old 02.07.2007, 01:08 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Thanks Steamy B for confirming this.

It seems that we have a bunch of TI users who are a little too protective about bad rep, those who seem to stand by thier Virus Ti's and claim to hear no pops and clicks, which is complete rubbish imho.

If Access know about it, and they claim to be able to reproduce the same clicks on reported patch names, then it seems that it's across the board on all units from desktop to polar ti.

I have asked a few users on the net, and some of them say they have no clicks, which i seriously doubt. They must be deaf honestly, i would really love to prove them wrong.

Who knows, maybe these few people work for access
Old 02.07.2007, 02:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove66 View Post
Who knows, maybe these few people work for access
I would doubt that - my experience so far has been that if they can reproduce a problem - they are open about it.

As far other users saying they had no problem - maybe thats true, or maybe they didnt try for long enough - who knows?

Standalone mode for most people isnt actually completely standalone - usb is probably still plugged in, and the TI is probably on external MIDI sync - either could be causing sufficient change in CPU use inside the TI to mean the clicks occur for one user on a given patch and not another.

The mere fact that it takes a variable amount of time to occure should tell you its perfectly possible for one user to experience the problem and not another, and of course can make it harder for Access to reproduce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove66 View Post
I have been told that 'some clicks' are expected when changing from a patch to another patch (due to parameter changes), and also some clicks appear when moving any 'knobs' due to digital parameter changes.
The 'any' bit of that statement seems a little odd. There are certain paramter changes which are almost guranteed to cause a click - changing distortion types for example - basically anything that can result in changing the overall signal path rather than just change a param of something allready in the signal path. Similar could in theory occure when moving mix/send params to/from zero on delay, reverb, chorus and phaser or switching in osc 3, changing osc type, filter modes etc or changing osc phase param as these all involve a hard signal change. Probbaly never heard on the fx mix params as the 1 value is still nearly inuadiable.

Last edited by Khazul : 02.07.2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02.07.2007, 06:14 AM

I experienced faint poping and clicking noises on most patches when i had the TI. At the time people were suggesting it was a potential clipping issue and that reducing the patch volume would eliminate it. Well in my case this made no difference at all.

I bought my TI a full 2 years after they had been released. I was suprised to find it shiped with OS1.01.......and even more suprised to find the word 'DemoSong' stuck on as a sticker and not silk screen printed onto the chassis. Yes siree.....my TI was one of the oldies......conveniently passed on to me for a premium price, courtesy of Turnkey.

The whole experience kinda reminded me of when the early DX7's rolled off the production line and the Yamaha guys stuck MIDI legends on as stickers before getting round to proper silk screening them on.

The problem with complicated equipment these days it that its getting harder and harder to trouble shoot problems. Who really knows whats causing these pops and clicks? Is it the patch volume being set to high and clipping? Is it your soundcard? Is it your computer being a silly billy? Is it your soundcard.....maybe the drivers are conflicting with you printer? Maybe you have a dirty power supply and your TI hardware is super sensitive to little spikes in the supply? Or maybe there is a little glitch in the TI OS? Maybe a glitch in the DSP code for one of the effects (the delay seems to be a culprit sometimes). Ah, but maybe its not....because ive heard clicks and pops when all the effects have been switched off. Or maybe its a little capicitor or transistor in the output stage which has the wrong tolerance....maybe thats whats causing it. Maybe its the...... ..... ................. .. . ............. ... .. ............. ................. .... .. . .. . .. ...

........and once upon a time you could switch on a synth and instantly get down to the business of making music. All this high technology......is it really worth it? It really does change the creative process. Musicians have to be trouble shooters to get their equipment to work how they want as well as being song writers.....or is it just me?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....