Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 02.07.2005, 03:27 PM
New here
New here

Default Access C High-Pass??

Hey! I've just traded my Nova and my K-Station to get the Virus C and I'm kinda wondering about the filter on the Virus...I'm looking for that distorted, screeching, almost-white noise effect on the high-pass that I've heard done by the Novation gear and my Filter Factory...is this possible on the Virus?? I make drum'n'bass and I'm looking for that ripping hard-on-the-ears, lots-of-resonance high-pass filtering that alot of artists use on the drums or bassline....I just got it yesterday so I'm still learning it but I just hope I didn't make a mistake...I've always heard about how amazing the Virus sounds and how they have the best digital filters out there but I can't seem to get the high-pass intensity I am looking for...is there a rough, deafening high-pass in there ready to tear apart my bassline?? Thanks, Brett
Old 02.07.2005, 07:38 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

realy cant see the words high pass and bassline going side by side,would you mind linking us up with a short clip?
Old 02.07.2005, 07:38 PM

~Welcome to Planet Virus~

If the Novation can do it, the Virus will shred it to bits! You've got a killer synth mate, give it some time and learn to use it, Im sure you wont be dissapointed!

Im still a novice too.....sorry couldnt give more specific details, but Im sure someone on here can help out

Good luck!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 03.07.2005, 02:06 PM
New here
New here

Well...I have played with it more and the more I use it the better it sounds...the filters are definately SMOOTH so far...you don't hear ANY stepping so that's good but I'm still looking for that sharp high-pass sound...
Old 03.07.2005, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Well, a dead cert' is using the white noise oscillator and colouring it to fit. There are a multitude of things you can do with the filters, like have them work in series, offset-series, dual mix, split, and each filter type will have a largely different impact, and each can have seperate resonances. Add filter-env on each for depth. The saturation stage that is routed inbetween the two filters would also be worth checking out to experiment with different saturation distortion curves. Try band-pass as well as high pass, as band pass is more 'selected' and you can enhance the particular frequencies that mix best with the similarly grouped parts.

ie.:- layering two bass sounds - one with plenty of low end grit, and another punchy high/band-passed one - work well. Use Multi mode for this.