Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.07.2008, 12:15 PM
New here
New here

Default Planning on purchasing 2nd hand Ti Desktop

Hi Guys.

Great forum/Community you have running here. Hopefully, if all things go well you will see a lot more of me here.

I'm going out tonight to purchase a 2nd hand virus ti Desktop tonight and as such was looking for any info which would help me in my purchase. Be it software issues to look out for, Cosmetic defects, hardware issues etc. etc. You know yourself just anything which I should be aware of before I commit to buying it. I already made it clear the synth would have to be set up upon arrival with a midi keyboard attatched.

Cheers Lads.
Djamel
Old 21.07.2008, 01:18 PM
New here
New here

I sold mine on ebay and the receiver was well happy. Try find an add that just looks real.
if that makes sence?

if your new to virus, get a C or earlier, save money and less hassel.
Old 21.07.2008, 01:25 PM
New here
New here

Cheers for the reply mate. I'd be satisfied that the guy Im buying the virus from is reputable (Im meeting him at his place, he'll have it running)

I may not have been specific enough with what Im looking for, to clarify; I'm purchasing a virus Ti desktop, have my heart set on it. Now what Im looking for is pointers from owners of the Ti desktop on problems to look out for in a second hand Ti, be it aesthetics, hardware or software issues etc.

Cheers
Old 21.07.2008, 02:37 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

just check each of the knobs ... when you have the chance to play on it: that's probably the best check.

also bought mine 2nd hand from private ... was all fine.

but: before i tried to bid on eBay and had the *second highest bid* ...
then the "seller" contact me via eMail and i really think they wanted to rip off my money ... (very bad translation, price not realistic, ...)

later on i read about this way of betrayal and was glad the Virus was already sitting on my desk for 15min, just before i received that suspicious eMail

also: to make a sales contract is always recommend, if it's a little more money.

Last edited by psy604 : 21.07.2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 21.07.2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Welcome Djamel!

Test all the knobs. I bought my old Indigo over the net and it turned up with wobbly pots, which needed replacing. So test the knobs lightly and make sure they are all firm. (Sorry that sounded SO wrong)

Software wise, the latest OS version is OS 2.7 beta 4, which is meant to be more stable than the previous OS v2.5 release version. You can tell what OS version the synth is using when you turn on the Virus. - It displays the OS version on the LCD for a couple of seconds. You can update the OS easily enough yourself via [Access' downloads] though, so this is not so much a concern.

Other than that, make sure the pitch and mod wheels feel ok and don't travel further than they should do. The pitch wheel should bounce back, but the mod wheel free-wheels up and down.

Some people have had issues with LEDs that are sometimes slightly lit when they shouldn't be, but from reading responses I believe is more an aesthetic problem than a severe fault.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else at the mo.

I think you'll be blown away by the crazy sounds it can put out. Hope it goes well.

Timo
Old 21.07.2008, 05:25 PM
New here
New here

Cheers for the feedback guys. Im gonna head out now and grab this synth. Appreciate everything. I'll report back regardless.
Old 21.07.2008, 09:37 PM
New here
New here

Hey Guys, bought that in the end. Well delighted with my purchase. The unit is absolutely spotless, it's immaculate actually, new pot feel, all pots consistent etc. He said there was only about 8 hours of use in all and I'd well believe him!

Felt really sorry for him, apparentley he's taking up a new hobby, marriage!

Right now to get deep into the ether with this baby, Im sure I'll be frequenting this forum quite eh, frequently

Cheers and talk soon.
Djamel