Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 05.05.2007, 07:56 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Proco Deucetone Rat distortion

The same with this thread. I guess it's better to start a dedicated thread for this product too to keep things clearer...

I am not a very special guitarist and I don't have any demos yet but this rat sounds very good. It uses 1x9V battery. Both channels can be used in cascade mode without using an external cable. You can easily get too much distortion if you turn both distortion knobs too much. With reasonable amounts of distortion and switching between the different rat modes (clean, turbo, vintage, dirty) you can get some nice warm distortions. The 2 filters are basically low pass filters which work very well at what they are meant to do. You get either very bright or dark sound or anything between them. The unit doesn't produce too much noise. I have read comments from other forums that the deucetone noise is awful but the noise isn't really audible at all if you don't turn both distortion knobs and levels so high that the settings will sound only buzz and humm anyway. You can use quite extreme distortion levels without the unit being noisy. The clean and turbo rat modes are my favourite. The pedal has 2 switches on the back (for both engines) which you use to choose the rat models you want to use for engines A and B.

I am not an expert to describe the sound but after turning on this distortion I felt like I was playing my guitar for the first time again! Now the sound is what I had always wanted it to be. Earlier I had used powercore tubifex and logic guitar amp pro plugins which imo are one of the best plugins for guitar itb anyway but the difference was still big. The rat sounds so much warmer and more real that sometimes it really sounds and feels like I am playing thru a big guitar amp + cabinet. The rat works very well for all old rock and heavy metal sounds.

I will test the deucetone with some of my synths too but I haven't had time to do it yet. I have been so excited at playing my guitar with the rat.
Old 06.05.2007, 02:47 AM
This forum member lives here

The Proco Rats are supposed to be very cool distortions... I was looking at them today.

I came away with a Boss Compressor/sustainer and Boss Tuner. Pressies for my little brother and his bass guitar

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 06.05.2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Looks great, FSD. Would love to hear a demo of that puppy.

Have you tried the Compressor/Sustainer on synths, Jas?
Old 06.05.2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Looks great, FSD. Would love to hear a demo of that puppy.

Have you tried the Compressor/Sustainer on synths, Jas?
Im not at home at the moment, so wont get to try it out for another couple weeks.

I have a much nicer compressor at home anyway, so the Boss pedal will probably just stick to guitar/bass duties

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60