Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 10.11.2004, 08:44 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Ben, do you work for Access?

Also, synths tend to have a signature sound. You can make a million different patches with the Virus, but they're still gonna sound like a Virus. This is not an attack on the Virus, I think it's true of any synth.
Old 10.11.2004, 08:59 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicIndustrial
Ben, do you work for Access?
I do some work for Access, yes - preset designing and trade show demos, for instance. I am not an employee.

Why, what are you trying to say?

Quote:
Also, synths tend to have a signature sound. You can make a million different patches with the Virus, but they're still gonna sound like a Virus. This is not an attack on the Virus, I think it's true of any synth.
This is true to an extent, but I think it's fair to say that it is easier to identify the Virus sound in some contexts than it is in others. I think the more a patch makes use of the onboard fx, the easier it becomes to identify it as Virus. Also, there are inevitably those presets which become trademarks - other musicians might pour scorn on those who use these patches, but the general public know nothing of such things, so what does it matter?

For the record though, I never use presets in my own work
Old 10.11.2004, 10:03 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicIndustrial

The attribute you are describing here is one of the reasons why I'd buy a Virus. Not all synths have a signiture sound....only really decent ones do.

If I wanted some unrecognisable synth sounds....I go would go and download a free shitty softsynth and run it through a Pro-One filter and then mangle the hell out of it using plugin fx. But thats NOT the way I do things. Having said that I ran a Kraftwerk drum beat through the Pro-One and it was amazing! I reckon they should stick analog filters on soundcards hehe

With reference to another comment you made regarding me prefering the Jupiter 8 sounds.....It really depends what mood im in. If im in the mood for instant warm analog 80's sounds (and lets face it...who isnt!) then the JP8 wins. But if im feeling in the mood for doing some deep programming and using my imagination then the Virus is the best. Since selling the Virus KC I have come to miss it. There is something about it that I like. There were also a few things that I didnt like....but at the end of the day my financial position dictated what I had to do.

Now that the Ti incorperates full effects, loads of poly and Wavetable type oscilators..im impressed.

Dont worry about the KB.....its a fine synth...everyone knows that.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 11.11.2004, 03:53 AM

The TI can import patches from the C I've heard/read, so yes the VC probably will be useless - unless you don't have a TI, then it will be very usefull. Having both though...........Waste.

Damn I'm looking forward to hearing the TI though.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 11.11.2004, 06:34 AM

I am in the same boat. I have a Virus C but am drooling over the Wavetable OSC and HyperSaw OSC... Also the USB connection and plugin control. Having total control over programming of Arps for each and every patch is Awsome. From what I have read the TI has been rebuilt from the inside out.....Thus bringing up the question.....Will it have a different sound? I am not Rich by any means but Would I benefit from keeping my Virus C and getting the TI? I mean think of merging the two together and using them in Unison. I know people that have two Nord leads a rack and keyboard version same goes for the JP-8000 and a JP-8080. I have heard custom patches and loops that contain so many Layers it is mind boggling and sound awsome. Just looking for some advice or insight if you had the choice of having both or getting something else....(already got a V-synth, JP,and many more but there is just something about the Access Virus...I love this thing!!
Old 11.11.2004, 11:01 AM

i dont actually own a virus product yet - the ti will be my first

but my housemate who i write music with owns a kb and he is in the same dilemma (well maybe not now that ihave one on order).
i have used his kb for some time now and i can tell you that before the release of the ti i was considering purchasing a nord lead 3 - purely because there was already a virus in the house and i felt the two instruments would compliment each other nicely.

your idea of teaming up the units is totally valid - especially once there are enough secondhand b and c units on the market to force the price down. you can never have too many especially when you could utilise the input of the ti and use it as an interface for your b or c to connect to your pc....

mid-december just isnt coming quick enough...
Old 11.11.2004, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
And I hope a fully comprehensive review will be posted?

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 11.11.2004, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
And I hope a fully comprehensive review will be posted?
I'll say! Specially if you have a bit of synth background Blay.

That goes for anyone who gets their hands on one. I'm sure someone here will host some web space for sound demos and all that. I wanna hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waketek
Thus bringing up the question.....Will it have a different sound?
I've been wondering about this too. For example if we bring in the Nordlead2 vs the Nordlead3 debate - even the NL2 vs the NL2x (same engine but different D/As). The sound has changed for the worse in some peoples eyes.

Bloody hell I'm looking forward to hearing this thing though.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 11.11.2004, 11:23 AM

i think you will get sick of me dribbling about the thing

and i guess it depends how comprehensive the manual is in terms of how quickly i give a review (and how comprehensive it is!)

im certainly no expert with the existing series, but i am more than willing to give up any info or help to those interested.
in fact the more questions im asked the better cause it will push me to learn - which is a positive
Old 11.11.2004, 07:46 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Yup - your Virus C will self destruct the minute the TI is released!