Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 04.09.2008, 12:01 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Red face Keeping your Studio nice and clean.

How the fuck????!?!?!?!?

I am a pot smoker and a full time music maker. How can these 2 worlds jive??? I see everyone's nice clean studio.... but I fail at this.

Not sure if this is fixable.
Old 08.10.2008, 10:16 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Send a message via ICQ to Analog Warriors

at first ... get one of these fine tools

and then ... get you ass up man, your studio is no dump

Analog Warriors
Old 08.10.2008, 03:16 PM
Infektion taking hold...

You could try buying some decent dope.
Old 08.10.2008, 04:18 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
You could try buying some decent dope.
Yeah, maybe try baking it in some brownies or something...
Old 09.10.2008, 08:51 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

There has been a vast improvement. I dismantled, changed carpets, and "remanteled" my studio. I also sold a bunch of unused gear (Lexicon 300 and Focusrite ISA 220), bought an Andromeda and a Chroma Polaris. It was hard to part with the Lex and ISA, but hey, I needed some analog love.

The analog has switched up the vibe of the studio a bit and now it's all clean and dandy. I installed a little speaker outside in the driveway so I can listen to my mixes outside while I am smoking.... YAY!!!

Those little dusters are very handy, I needed that.

Old 10.10.2008, 08:23 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Send a message via ICQ to Analog Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monobeat View Post
Those little dusters are very handy, I needed that.
it's nearly impossible to clean a bigger mixing desk without them

... salvation to the analog machines !

Analog Warriors
Old 06.12.2008, 11:35 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Well, I always cover my equipment with a towel, if I am smoking. I also have a duster, and dust my equipment at least once a week, if not more.

My studio is in my bedroom, so it can be hard to keep it clean... but pretty much I clean my room once a week, for the sole reason that I find it hard to concentrate when my surroundings are in disarray.

So to answer your question... just you know, do it. Clean it, and it shall be clean.
Old 08.12.2008, 11:26 AM
New here
New here

Well, I also smoke the good erb, and I find that setting absolutely everything up 100% helps. I don't know if all your stuff is already wired, but I connect everything into a patchbay, so I'm ready to go immediately. Also, try and keep your music area free of anything that doesn't relate to your studio. File paperwork and chuck anything you think you don't need...
Old 02.01.2009, 10:05 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I actually enjoy cleaning while smoking. It is bringing order and control, and peace and serenity into a chaotic and stressful environment.

But there is a trick to making it all easy and enjoyable. Every single item I own has it's own home, a dedicated little place where it should be. Start off simple, I bet you usually keep your cigarettes, phone, lighter in the same place all the time. Everything in your kitchen probably already has a good home. Just keep assigning homes to everything. Everything!

Then cleaning becomes really, really easy, its just two steps. First, you just wander around, and throw away the garbage. Then second, just pick up anything that isn't in its home, and return it there. No brain required, with a little practice its possible to clean when absolutely corked. This technique works amazingly well, and there is an extreme pleasure in always finding what you are looking for in the first place you look. Find homes for all your stuff man, that's the secret and if you can't find a sensible home for something, just throw it away.

Throwing out all the irrelevant junk really, really helps. If a home (like a shelf or drawer) is getting full, then just take away the least used items. It's not enough to just have everything packed on a shelf so its overflowing, you also need space into which you can expand. I went from being a complete slob with shit everywhere to really enjoying the discipline of having a neat personal space. My studio is my dojo. I can see the state of my life reflected in the studio; when the cables are a spaghetti mess and theres small items lying around everywhere then I know that my life and mind is currently similar. Restoring order to the studio helps me calm my mind and returns it to an organized and restful state again. This I love and enojy working on and developing.

Like that guy also said, try have ONLY music making things in your music making area. If its also your bedroom, you may need to compromise. Also, study where you sit/perform music the most. Observe where you spend the most time looking (probably at a computer screen, or a synth). Try really, really hard to make everything else in that view disappear. Remove all items, hide all cables, get a smooth featureless background. There's nothing worse than a lot of items (visual noise) creeping in at the edges of your vision, trust me on that.

Always remove things, always make it neat and minimal, and you will have calmness and room to grow.
Old 02.01.2009, 10:40 PM
Infektion taking hold...

You can try one of this cleaning devices:

I dont know if she clean fine but will get alot of fun for sure :P