Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 10.09.2007, 12:08 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul
Default Going back to analog - partly...

For various reasons Im thinking of ditching my yamaha digital mixer and audio interface etc and going for a MOTU 24 i/o + Mackie 32.8 analog desk combo. I might even go for 24 ch HD recorder and skip the computer completely - dunno yet.

Just interested if anyone else works that way - using a multi-channel audio inerface to basically turn their computer into an HD recorder plumbing into an analog recording mixer and mixing the old fashioned way?

Anyone specifically using that desk? Ive used one very briefly, but not extensively enough to know about its issues etc (if any), and I wasnt mixing electronic music on it either.

Part of this is driven by a realisation that I just plain simply miss having a full desk rather than a miserable slim portion of one.

Yeh, I know, back to tracking sheet hell etc, but in reality Im doing that anyway with patch bays, mastering gear etc...
Old 10.09.2007, 05:31 AM
Pro
Pro

Well, I've been thinking about this too sometimes but I still wouldn't ditch the computer. I've been checking out the motu 24 i/o too. Some people say that motu are no good but I've used my 828 mk2 for many years now and imo there's nothing in the sound why wouldn't I use one. At least when you want to use 24 channels, the motu is the cheapest and still good enough quality solution I guess. If you want RME, the price will be ridiculous, over 4k.

However, altough I used an analog console to mix, I would probably mix in the box too, for example if I want to use busses and use plugins for them. I would probably direct my busses to the desk for the final mix. I use lots of mix busses so the 24 channels would all be in use.
Old 10.09.2007, 05:44 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

I run all my equipment through a patchbay to a mixer and into my Motu ultralite. I still mix in Cubase but i try to use the computer as little as possible. I find that this way of working gives me a much better overview. I´d rather mess around with patchcables than browse through menus and i´d definitly rather twist a real knob than using the mouse on a vitual knob. Of course computers has their advantages but they drain my creativity...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 10.09.2007, 01:39 PM

Just wrote a long winded reply, and the fucker didn't save in. Don't have time to write anything else, but to just give a few lines from the huge post I just lost....

I have a mackie 16-4 and I love the thing. I use this with my old desk to have a total of 32 tracks. You having 8 busses will give you nice options, but heading into the computer you will be wanting more, so you will end up bouncing out often anwyay. Where the huge I/O of that sound card will help, is when you want to mix down. I bet that you know already... Can't beleive I lost that other post. Oh well.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 10.09.2007, 02:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Thanks all

I was just looking through SOS reader adds - seems I can get a MOTU Core PCI and a Mackie 32.8 for about 1500UKP total second hand which aint bad

All starting to sound very tempting - and its the first console Ive come across that actually supports the kind of recording/mixing/mastering/patching/monitoring setups and workflow that I want to use.

What are the main headaches of buying larger consoles? I was thinking of taking an iPod (not ideal, but better than nothing...), cans and my KP3 and some cables just to run through all the channels for noisey wipers and anything else that might be amiss.

I guess as allways a good sign - does the guy have patch bays - yes means he probably wasnt plugging cacle into the connectors 50 times a day, does he have a dust cover - less chance of wipers getting degraded, does the place smell of smoke - def no no.

Ages ago I was looking at getting one of the RME PCI cards and then hitching a loads of non-RME ADAT DA/AD boxes to it. Kind of gone off that idea now and some of the tracking done here would *possibly* benefit from higher sample rates at tracking time - vocals, accoustic instruments etc, so thats put me off the ADAT boxes thought, and hence the thought about getting a MOTU core system (PCI or PCI-E).

RME is appealing just becuase of their claim of ultra low latency, and ultra low CPU, but I wonder whats the reality of this actually is, along with driver reliability on a decent PC. Actually drivers are my number one worry - I allmost cant remember that last time I bought something that did audio in the pro-audio space for the computer whos drivers just worked and were problem free from that point onwards. This is a large part of why Im throwing in the towel with the yamaha rig.

Maybe Im getting too cynical, but Im just tired of spending time troubleshooting one thing after another and a computer running everything just seems so sensitive by the time you have a complex rig. Thats the reason Ive been thinking of bypassing the computer completely, or at least having the option to. These days I just want to play, record, mix etc, not be trouleshooting driver issues and loosing ideas in the process...

That and finding that even cheap analog hardware still is quicker and easier to use and oddly can work out alot cheaper than plugins that approach it in having a pleasing sound. And no plugin yet I have used comes close to the little collection of digital TC electronic and analog SPL hardware boxes I have. Of course cables allways pile up the cost...

For some time Ive been thinking the prices of pluggins is creeping up rather excessively - then I saw it - a TECH21 plugin for pro-tools that cost *MORE* than the original analog hardware upon which it was modelled costs new...
Old 10.09.2007, 05:33 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via AIM to logo80 Send a message via MSN to logo80

no completely digital but not completely analog here:
I don't use to follow the same audio chain every time but the pieces I use more are a mackie onyx 1620 connected to the motu traveler straight into the imac. But when I mix I use to pass tracks like guitars, voice, bass, but even keyboards through an old Fostex 350 mixer (that one with the VU meters... very 80ish...) that is really good sounding to my ears. I use it in the mastering too, or as an equalizer... (so I don't strictly use it as a mixer but for its sound). In this way I stay in the digital world but still work with some analog to gave the old good sound to the mix.
Regards, Lorenzo
Old 23.02.2008, 08:23 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo80 View Post
no completely digital but not completely analog here:
I don't use to follow the same audio chain every time but the pieces I use more are a mackie onyx 1620 connected to the motu traveler straight into the imac. But when I mix I use to pass tracks like guitars, voice, bass, but even keyboards through an old Fostex 350 mixer (that one with the VU meters... very 80ish...) that is really good sounding to my ears. I use it in the mastering too, or as an equalizer... (so I don't strictly use it as a mixer but for its sound). In this way I stay in the digital world but still work with some analog to gave the old good sound to the mix.
Regards, Lorenzo
If your looking at live or a studio mixer, you should look at the TASCAM DM3200 or DM4800.
It's very professional and affordable.
Got one and won't part with it
Old 23.02.2008, 09:02 AM

Have you seen the new Toft ATB consoles?

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 23.02.2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Looks fantastic. Very similar to the specs of the Ghost.

Price: £3570 for 24/8, £4754 for 32/8. Not as much as I thought it would be, but out of the reach of most.

Bet it sounds great, though. Analogue ftw.

Last edited by Timo : 23.02.2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 24.02.2008, 06:56 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Send a message via ICQ to Analog Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell View Post

I have a mackie 16-4 and I love the thing.
same here

mackie offers a good quality sound with a really great routing flexibility for small money in the semi-pro price section. Imo the sound of the EQ is one of the best you can get for it's money, i had the CR-1604 and now have the 1604-VLZ pro and never had a püroblem with one of them - they're both very reliable, hands-on to use and they're build solid like a tank !

Analog Warriors