Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 09.04.2007, 08:24 PM
New here
New here

Default Drum kits, need advice, pls help

Hello

I'm a newbie here, i currently use a Roland Fantom X6 synth, but i went to a local music instruments dealer and for a couple of hours i played the Virus TI kbd and was completely amazed by its synth sounds; consequently, as i also want to have an analog synth apart from my sample-based Fantom X, i have the following questions (or concerns, to be more realistic):

1) Is it hard to program a drum kit ? How do i have to do it ? I've seen there are no drum kits as patches in it. How can it be done ?

2) Do i (is it possible) to buy drum kits online and load them into Virus' memory by means of USB ? (i am not so good in using MIDI)

3) Do I have to buy an external drum machine ? (like Alesis SR-16 or Boss DR 670)

4) As far as accoustic sounds (e.g. piano), what about them ? Do they also need to be programmed ?

Thanx 4 your help

P.S My gear : Fantom X6 / Intel-based iMac / M-Audio FireWire Audiophile soundcard
Old 10.04.2007, 09:30 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

1) There´s no drum kits on it since you can only program one sound (or drum) per part. You could of course make a multi and select drum sounds for all 16 part. This way you can have a drumkit of 16 drum sounds.

2) Maybe, maybe not but it should be possible to buy soundbanks with good drum sounds or you can download free soundbanks from Access´s website...

3) That´s up to you. With a Fantom X6 and a Virus TI you will have a lot of drums. Still not satisfied: If you are looking for analogue drums you should be able to program these on the Virus but if you like (and can afford it) you could also get a real analogue drum machine too like Jomox or Vermona. If it´s acoustic drums you´re after then think about buying the "SRX-01 Dynamic drum kits" expansion board for the Fantom X6.

4) This is where you use your Fantom X6. You will NEVER get realistic sounding acoustic pianos, strings, brass, guitars, etc. from the Virus. The Fantom X6 is on the other hand very good at these sounds.

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 10.04.2007, 05:01 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

If your refering to electronic drums,yes the virus can produce some amazing elec. drums but you will have to master the means of subtractive synthesis (a.k.a. analog synthesis).

Are you thinking of replacing your fantom with the virus?
If so i wouldnt advice you to make that move ,Keep the fantom and get the TI.
As stated the virus cannot produce realistic acoustic sounds.
Old 10.04.2007, 05:19 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom_x View Post
Hello

I'm a newbie here, i currently use a Roland Fantom X6 synth, but i went to a local music instruments dealer and for a couple of hours i played the Virus TI kbd and was completely amazed by its synth sounds; consequently, as i also want to have an analog synth apart from my sample-based Fantom X, i have the following questions (or concerns, to be more realistic):

1) Is it hard to program a drum kit ? How do i have to do it ? I've seen there are no drum kits as patches in it. How can it be done ?

2) Do i (is it possible) to buy drum kits online and load them into Virus' memory by means of USB ? (i am not so good in using MIDI)

3) Do I have to buy an external drum machine ? (like Alesis SR-16 or Boss DR 670)

4) As far as accoustic sounds (e.g. piano), what about them ? Do they also need to be programmed ?

Thanx 4 your help

P.S My gear : Fantom X6 / Intel-based iMac / M-Audio FireWire Audiophile soundcard
I use the Virus Ti as my main board. I use it in conjunction with Reason & Spectrasonics RMX along with a Korg PadKontrol for better drum feel... I also have Cubase 4 which has a lot instruments including Motif piano samples. Redrum via Rewire is awesome.

If you don't already have software you may want to keep the Fantom... on the other had if already have plenty of software and plan on purchasing more things could work out for you with the Ti.

like the other guys said if you want a "Roland" sound- there's not too many options left.