Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 01.12.2008, 09:58 PM
New here
New here

Unhappy Ever open your Virus?

I have a problem w/ my ti keyboard, the mod wheel quit working on me. At first, a few months back, it would work for a while when I first start her up, but then would quit on me by about ten minutes into a session. So, I am not too savvy w/ electronic repair, but if it is an easy fix, or if someone knows the mechanics of the ti mod wheel, perhaps I can look at it myself.

Are there any pictures of an open virus? Anyone have experience with this type of thing? Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01.12.2008, 10:42 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I opened mine once and enjoyed the process. Leave it unplugged, maybe a grounding strap to boot.......

Keyboard /Modwheel stuff is usually a pretty straightforward thing, like a loose ribboncable, or an unseated connector of some kind. I'd say go for it. You won't hurt anything. Be extremely careful when it's open. The top of the case is very heavy and can fall and damage your plastic keys...

If it's not a loose connector near the mod wheel, then close it up and send it to access for a visit.
Old 02.12.2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Opened up my Indigo once to reccy some wobbly pots.

* Red = a floating/hovering PCB that piggy backs onto the back of the main PCB board.
* Green = the mainboard (which houses the pots)
* Blue = the pitch/mod wheels

There are several ribbon cables in the virus connecting the modular parts, including the keybed, PSU, the PCBs, fascia, and the mod/pitch wheels. In fact you can clearly see one of the main grey ribbon cables going into the Mod/pitch wheel PCB there on the pic, and there is a separate local plug with the coloured wires too. Any of these may have become loose, so it would be worth checking them out like Mono suggests before you bundle it all up and send it anywhere.

Contact these guys: http://www.synthesizerservice.de/index.php?lang=en

... and ask them for details on how to open up your Virus. They'll send you photos with brief descriptions. (That's what they did for me, anyhow).

They are the hardware branch for Access Music.

Disclaimer: If your TI is still within your warranty period, opening up the Virus will void it. If it's outside the warranty period you have nothing to lose, and it's not like it's particularly risky anyway. Just take the usual care with regards to grounding (to avoid static, which can harm electronics), and electric shock (in other words don't leave your Virus plugged in!)

"This bag of peanuts may contain peanuts", etc. etc.
Old 02.12.2008, 09:31 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for the link and the picture. I have sent an email to the address, hope they also have some pictures of a virus ti to send! BTW, you had no trouble fixing the pots yourself? Do you have background with electronics?

Best,
Michael
Old 07.01.2009, 05:13 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Timo,

Would you mind posting the complete set of files that you received from the tech support guys? I expect that they would be useful to people in the future who might want to open up their Virus.

You guys are brave souls... I would send mine in to the shop.

- max
Old 07.01.2009, 05:57 AM
Infektion taking hold...

I bought my Virus on Ebay and always works fine but after turned one start smell like burns or electronic overheat, dammit... well I opened and the problem was with the +5v regulator CI 7805 getting a little more heat that normal, im very familiar with regulated power supplies and after check voltages and some vital electronic components everything seems normal, so I made a little custom modification relocating the 7805 in a better location and now can work 24/7 perfectly normal, no heats no smells and even tried keep it working for five contimuous days.
Old 07.01.2009, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxahachie View Post
I bought my Virus on Ebay and always works fine but after turned one start smell like burns or electronic overheat, dammit... well I opened and the problem was with the +5v regulator CI 7805 getting a little more heat that normal, im very familiar with regulated power supplies and after check voltages and some vital electronic components everything seems normal, so I made a little custom modification relocating the 7805 in a better location and now can work 24/7 perfectly normal, no heats no smells and even tried keep it working for five contimuous days.
Hmm... That's definetly not normal. Seems like something is causing excessive current consumption. The current consumption of Virus is so minimal that it really sohuldn't cause heat dissipation problems. I think it would be wise to check that the transformer is suitable for the unit (the rack unit has an external transformer, right?) and if it's ok then check the groundings. If the regulator is hot it's only a matter of time when it gets burned.
Old 08.01.2009, 03:05 AM
Infektion taking hold...

You right the consumption come from the display module, this one have two integrated circuits built in so I dont have other option, just locate the LM7805 in better place and enjoy the Virus for while.
Old 08.01.2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlenine View Post
Timo,

Would you mind posting the complete set of files that you received from the tech support guys? I expect that they would be useful to people in the future who might want to open up their Virus.

You guys are brave souls... I would send mine in to the shop.

- max
All pics (from both Access' hardware branch and my own) can be seen here: http://infekted.org/virus/showthread...406#post242406

Access' pics are the "[Step 1], [Step 2], etc." links shown in the first quote. My pics are the ones that follow that.

I never actually got around to swapping out the pots as I picked up the various bits of soldering equipment at a later time, and I always get waylaid and start jamming on the Indigo instead! - The affected pots don't affect actual usage. However I have a spare slot tomorrow so will do a bit of Viral surgery, with more pics. Of course these would be different to a TI.
Old 09.01.2009, 02:57 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

I opened it to move the plugs to the back for rack mounting. i didnt even look closely at the boards or anything like i normally would. just closed it back up and tested it right away

i like how it says warranty void if you remove the sticker, but they tell you how to change to rear mounted plugs.

fortunately it worked.and the sticker stuck back on fine