Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 12.12.2008, 02:52 PM
Infektion taking hold...

to the original dude's issue, on the mac you can go to apple menu>about this mac>more info to access the system profiler.

from there look through your USB device tree. according to access, the virus needs to be on a dedicated USB bus. just because they are separate physical ports doesn't mean they are separate busses, as often there are internal hubs for USB (where the two ports on the front are one bus, and the two on the back are another, for example).

try experimenting with plugging stuff into different ports to see if it makes a difference, all the while monitoring using the system profiler.

for a simple test, plug the virus into one and a mouse into the other, at which point you can confirm if the virus works... then perhaps you can get an external usb hub (cheap) for your other devices.

http://www.themoodchannel.com
Old 13.12.2008, 09:30 AM
Newborn
Newborn

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS View Post
Some people will always experience performance/integration issues.....its a hard fact of life. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I dont know why mine works fine......
DS
here's the reason: there's too many chefs in the kitchen of the computer industry and 90% of them want THEIR version of a "standard" to be the standard. The rest of the problem is people who think this is ok and think that it's NORMAL for computers to be the one tool that is allowed to be so unimaginably inconsistent from machine to machine (even when they are CLONES of each other, they behave differently - been there, done that). Oh and developers not caring enough to follow specifications as documented if they can do something easier for themselves, and selling things before they're fully debugged. Take mLAN. It totally, 100% takes over the Firewire bus. The bus is useless for anything else once mLan is on. This is the complete opposite intention of the very creation of firewire.
Old 13.12.2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
here's the reason: there's too many chefs in the kitchen of the computer industry
Indeed. The number of possible configurations of all components in a system is gargantuan. And most off-the-shelf PCs are not designed with high-stress, performance music/video production in mind.

There is a way around it, and that's placing your money with people who have tested many, many configurations for music systems and have the expertise and support to back it up.

One company that jumps out a mile is http://www.adkproaudio.com (ships worldwide), the guy behind it is driven to obsession (in a good way) in creating absolute optimal configurations for music production PCs. He buys loads of new stock and torture tests everything with everything, and he sure as hell knows his stuff.

Another UK-based company that I know of is http://www.paqt.co.uk

I reckon if you really want to buy a hassle-free PC it would be worth paying that little bit extra for these kind of services, by people who have tested multiple configurations to come up with ones that work optimally. Ones that allow the system and busses to run unhindered.

Quote:
and 90% of them want THEIR version of a "standard" to be the standard.
That's the same with Dell, etc.. They're just mass, generic PCs, which are only good for office, gaming, and one other thing. The equivalent of a chicken factory production-line.
Old 13.12.2008, 08:53 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Having set up many hundreds of computers in my time, I can state for a fact that you can take 4 or 6 computers out of the box and set them up simultaneously side-by-side. They do not behave the same, they ask for different updates and in different orders. Some stumble over simple setups, some are fine. They are NOT all the same even though they all started with the same disk image. I'm just talking about Windows, Office and Acrobat. I have done this experiment many times and its now boring to see 1 out of 6 misbehave with the identical installs.

If you are confident you know what a computer is going to do, then you haven't had enough knocks yet

B
Old 15.12.2008, 12:05 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by teethofgold View Post
from there look through your USB device tree. according to access, the virus needs to be on a dedicated USB bus. just because they are separate physical ports doesn't mean they are separate busses, as often there are internal hubs for USB (where the two ports on the front are one bus, and the two on the back are another, for example).

try experimenting with plugging stuff into different ports to see if it makes a difference, all the while monitoring using the system profiler.

for a simple test, plug the virus into one and a mouse into the other, at which point you can confirm if the virus works... then perhaps you can get an external usb hub (cheap) for your other devices.
With my pc it didn't make any difference whether I had a device plugged to another connector sharing the internal hub. Both computers have all their onboard usb connectors designed as two port hubs. The decisive difference may be the chipset used, which is SIS on the working pc and nVidia on the non-working one. That would be my best bet for naming a factor that would help to distinguish whether or not a ti would work with a certain hardware. (I don't know much about mac hardware though...)

Btw.: The PCI card I'm now using has three discrete USB controllers with one port each.

Last edited by tmielke : 15.12.2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 15.12.2008, 02:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalston View Post
Hello
I have yet another problem with my hopelessly useless Ti.

Its simple: Turn on Ti.
"establishing usb connection"
"usb connection has been lost"

I have tried different USB ports. The are some things plugged into other usb ports but that is neccessary (I have a usb keyboard and a midiman)- another of the Ti's quirks is that Virus Control will not lauch fully unless I have midi plugged in. Im not using it thru midi but VC asks for it. Actually, plugging in midi cables doesnt work either. VC rarely starts or works.

Im on a G5, OS X 10.4.2, SX 3.1.
Ive been doing this for years - I know how to get a synth working (or I used to at least). I'm really really sick of this.
I waited a year for a synth that doesnt work.

Very very dissapointed.
Royalston
the minimum requirement for the TI software is 10.4.6 or higher.

marc
Old 07.01.2009, 05:06 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

I just wanted to post to second the notion that an earlier poster made - that the issue is probably related to USB rather than the Virus.

I would recommend looking in System Profiler to see if the Virus shows up in the USB section. You will need to go to View => Refresh to see it pop up if you load System Profiler before you plug in the TI. After the connection fails, refresh System Profiler again to see if the TI still shows up in there. If it does, then it might be an issue with the TI rather than your G5 (although that is not totally definitive).

If you decide to try a fresh USB PCI card, note that they are dead simple to install - you can install one in less than five minutes if you have enough space to open up the G5's case. Be sure to get a reputable card from a well-known Mac supplier (such as Belkin); I recently purchased a FireWire PCI card for my old Quicksilver G4 tower, but I can't use it for FireWire networking because it is a dodgy Chinese card I got for cheap on Newegg. That's what I get for being a cheap bastard.

Good luck with the problem - I hope it goes away for you. Let us know if you find a fix.

- max
Old 07.01.2009, 05:54 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Just a tip...do not buy a combo PCI card as this mostly will not work on a older Mac G4 or G5.

Just buy a dedicated PCI USB card and you are ready to go.
Old 12.01.2009, 08:32 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

I started having a problem after i moved my computer, forgot what USB port, installed the latest software/firmware all at the same time! (one of them caused it, im not sure )
anyways now i found that i cant load the vst in cubase (sounddriver failed to start) and it works fine in other hosts.

anyways i just set it to the first slot in the vst instrument panel and it seems to be ok now.

mind you i am on a PC.
Old 12.01.2009, 08:41 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

I've not got the ti driver on this pc but going from memory...

If you go to your start menu / access folder , I'm sure there is a Re-install virus drivers option

click me for main download page