Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 02.01.2009, 09:09 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default multitimbral

While surfing around and reading about the Virus I came across the following, and wondering if anyone would care to explain further what is meant?

"Lastly, the Virus has always been 16 parts multitimbral for multilayered patches and ensemble performances. However, up until the Virus TI, this aspect of the Virus has been severely flawed and is often considered unusable because of the polyphonic limitations of the Virus A, B and C and the lack of analogue outputs on the synth."

I am getting confused between the polyphony and number of voices and multitimbral and multilayers. I want to have, for example, a virus playing a bassline, a pad and a lead on 3 different midi channels. It can do this, right? Can it do 16 different voicings like this? I understand if this number starts to go down if i have sounds that are actually multiple layers of sounds. A couple of concrete examples with numbers for the Virus C would be A HUGE help for me!!!
Old 02.01.2009, 09:31 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

yes it can do bass/pad/leads on the virus - each with their own effects and arpegiator section.

I've never needed 16 different instuments at once from the virus so I don't have experience in the truth on how this works.

I have used about 5-6 different layers and all has been fine - just dont use unison on all the parts.

click me for main download page
Old 02.01.2009, 09:46 PM
Very mucho Newbie

I doubt I'd be using 16 parts either, unless perhaps they were all synth drum parts or something special like that.

So if it will handle several different parts at the same time, do you know what the article I read was referring to? Everything else it said seemed well written and researched so I don't know if they are referring to a known issue or just talking out of their arse.

Is the Virus C enough by itself to play back a reasonably complete song (no overdubbing) (Im thinking techno, psytrance and drum and bass styles) or will it run out of voices?
Old 03.01.2009, 12:02 PM
New here
New here

Default talking out the ass

Homeslice, the virus b,c, ti etc all have six "Analogue outs" and have no problem producing 16 separate parts on whatever midi channel (1-16)you wish. eg c1 -c#1 bass midi ch 1 , d1- d#1 assneck pad midi ch 2, e1 - f1 penis throb journo web log sound, midi ch 3, f#1 -g1 crackhead patch, midi ch 4, g#1-a2 im a moron pad, midi ch 5, etc etc right on up to oooohhhhhhhh 16,

mancheck, obviously the virus ti is the only Virus that has a "USB out" and therefore confuses crackheads with the concept of having to use "analogue outs" to actually transmit all 16 parts, as though that wasnt always the pocedure up to the TI anyway.!! so to put it in crackhead code, just as the access website says, it really plays 16 parts on 16 separate midi fucking channels man, access arent lying to you !

and no, most nostrlls would not use up all of even a virus b's polyphony, even accross 16 separate midi channels, lets be fucking honest, especially if your laying your tracks down in audio in your DAW, as opposed to midi.
Fucking bing bong mc fly
Old 04.01.2009, 02:14 AM
Complete Newbie

although you can have 16 different sounds assigned to 16 midi channels even with the TI you can even start losing notes much earlier with complex patches. but you probably wouldn't want to play them all at the same time.
Old 04.01.2009, 02:31 AM
Infektion taking hold...

16 voices is a useless feature for mostly of the people, five, maybe six but 16...
Old 04.01.2009, 04:25 AM
Complete Newbie

it depends how you do music. it is much faster to change a midi channel to an allready set voice than to do a program change. you might have a few voices only used a couple of times for effects or whatever. if they are already set then you dont have to wait for a program change.
Old 04.01.2009, 01:16 PM
Infektion taking hold...

I made a patch once that took up all it's voices when only playing 2 notes simultanious. It was a pad with unison set to 8..
Old 04.01.2009, 01:55 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I was first introduced to synths by way of my friend James, who owned a Korg something or other, a digital beasty with very limited programming capabilities. It was multitimbral of course..

When I came to buying my own synth, I went for a Korg MS2000 and the biggest disappointment was realising it could only play 1-2 sounds at the same time (2 if using multimode). This left me extremely limited in scope for writing songs...

I think the Virus is much better as a main workhorse synth. Anyway as all these kind people have already pointed out, you're not about to walk into the same trap as I did. :>

-Annikk
Old 04.01.2009, 03:38 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Seems like I will do ok. My plan is to sequence it with a command station and do as much as possible live, so the amount of tracks and voices it can do at once is more important for me than for someone say recording and overdubbing sounds in a DAW. But if it can do a couple of tracks at the same time, that's probably fine for me!!