Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 29.03.2004, 07:09 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default Virus Aliasing

Hi all,
I was just looking around KVR-VST forum and I saw a lot of posts bad mouthing Virus synths, saying how horrible they sound due to aliasing. I know most VA's are susceptible to aliasing, but it seems like people at KVR feel that the Virus aliases a great deal more than other VA's. So, since I'm planning to get a Virus synth in the future I thought I'd ask here. Is aliasing in a Virus really that apparent and obvious? And does it really alias more than other leading VA's?
I've listened to Manuel Schleis' Virus sound sets and I did hear quite a bit of aliasing on some patches, but I thought that might be due to the low bit rate of MP3 samples. I've also played around with a Virus C quite a bit at work and it seems like aliasing is especially noticeable on patches with unison and heavy detuning, although it seems a lot less noticeable if I run the same patch through a BR filter (maybe followed by LP in series) with the frequency somewhere around the middle.
Just wanted to hear some opinions on this topic from the Virus users, since I don't own one yet and can't fully test it.

Thanks!
Old 29.03.2004, 07:37 AM
This forum member lives here

I dont have a huge amount of VA experience (Only Nord 2, Nord 3, JP8000, KS5) but I think im right in saying that the Virus probably aliases the most. ITs very noticeable in the higher registers, the sound becomes very thin and dirty with artifacts. For the most part, aliasing never becomes an issue. IF your intending to use very high pitched synth sounds...you'd be better off using a true analog monosynth anyway!

Of all the VA's I own, THe Virus is the only one I wish to keep. THe Virus has a nice warm dark tone....that every other VA lacks. I particularly like the Virus because it reminds me of my old analog poly's (I used a Jupiter 8 before the Virus). Ive been highly critical of the Virus (I am with most instruments!) but at the end of the day.....I still use one, I still enjoy it and I have no intentions of selling it. THat must say something!..........

If you have any specific questions plz ask

DS
Old 29.03.2004, 09:02 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: Virus Aliasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ REMIDI
Hi all,
I've listened to Manuel Schleis' Virus sound sets and I did hear quite a bit of aliasing on some patches, but I thought that might be due to the low bit rate of MP3 samples. I've also played around with a Virus C quite a bit at work and it seems like aliasing is especially noticeable on patches with unison and heavy detuning, although it seems a lot less noticeable if I run the same patch through a BR filter (maybe followed by LP in series) with the frequency somewhere around the middle.
I'm not at all convinced that what you are referring to here even *is* aliasing. Aliasing is only really apparent at high frequencies, and is probably less apparent on fat unison sounds like Manuel Schleis' than in any other situation!

Yes, the Virus does have aliasing, but it is not generally a problem - the thing you should be aware of is that the strengths of the Virus *far* outweigh any weaknesses.

For instance, the new Analog filters are absolutely fantastic! Funny that they don't talk about them on any of the forums though - perhaps it's because these anti-Virus folk don't actually have the first clue about what the Virus can do - they've just heard that it has aliasing and so they just jump on the bandwagon and start slagging..
Old 29.03.2004, 11:16 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Ben is absolutely right...I have been on forums for quite awhile and i would not listen to ppl that talk crap...if u notice there is always one person that says...this is shit because of this reason...usually it is no more then 3 reasons unless they r actually talking about something that is not good...then from there ppl start clinging on because they r followers and continue on the crap...then a guy will come in and say no your wrong...and then they will all gang up and talk smack on him...never once every weighing pros and cons like an intellegant human being...

peace
Blank
Old 29.03.2004, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Look how "bad" SID sounds.

Need I say more?!
Old 30.03.2004, 07:33 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Send a message via MSN to Machinegunjoe

Funny someone did a post about this, i myself have been annoyed from time to time at my Virus for just this reason. I've never had any prob with any other of my VAs i've owned/own (Jp8000, nova, Nordlead 1 & 3). Some of Manuels sounds totally phase out when i press the mono button...which means if im to listen to a track in my radio by the bed (which is mono) i wouldn't hear that particular part at all.So basicly if i would make the lead sound with the virus and not be careful, yo wouldnt hear the main lead it my radio....which sux. This is the main reason why i think the Virus is hard to fit in a mix. All viruses i've had (bought my first 1997, Virus A ) the same problem. Although since i know about it I always choose sounds wisely. Atleast i think i do
Old 30.03.2004, 08:09 AM

I do not understand ^^^
Old 30.03.2004, 09:39 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Send a message via MSN to Machinegunjoe

Sorry my misstake...i read phasing...as in when the sounds phase (not the FX) oh well...
Old 30.03.2004, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Hi Joe, that's very likely due to the sound-programming/programmer. It's very easy to put things out of phase, especially when you are maxxing-out effects with stereo width, or are taking the oscillator programming to the extremes

You can very easily phase-cancel *any* VA if you wished. Just place one oscillator having a positive phase and another (using a copy of the first oscillator) as a negative (inverted) phase. They'll cancel each other out, simple as that.
Even if you put one of the oscillators panned hard-right, and the inverted oscillator panned hard-left, when summing to 'mono' they'll cancel each other out.

Just think, when summed: (100) + (-100) = 0 = no signal.

Listening to Manuel's audio demos of his patches on his Vengeance site, it really does sound like his programming is very harsh/extreme. It could easily create phase-distortions when doing that sort of stuff, regardless of which VA used.