Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 27.07.2006, 03:12 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Default Juno 60 and SH-101

I did a BAD thing... I splurged. :P I bought the Alesis Andromeda and like a dummy I go and let some extra cash burn a little hole in my pocket... I got an old SH-101 and Juno 60.

Hey everyone needs some vintage gear right?!

Actually, I guess it was technically like free money, I didn't file an old old tax return and they actually let me have it. The statuate of limitations was probably expired on it, but I got lucky, so 2 free keyboards from old Uncle Sam.

What do you guys thing about the Juno 60 in particular? I was listening to some examples of just preset sounds and oh my, totally 80s flashbacks right there! Especially the PWM Chorus preset, that almost sounded like Eurythmics right there if you took off some of the decay/sustain.

I think I'm going to take some Gas-X and try not to buy anything else for a little bit, but I'm open to suggestions for the future! :P

Synthi 100s and Moog Modulars are out of the question though. Hell. even the cheapest keyboard I bought this week is probably worth more than my car..!
Synths can be like women. After the initial few months of intense love-making, things become routine, banal. Once the deepest recesses have been probed, new specimens begin to attract the eye, bursting with promise of unique treasures to uncover. --Doof
__
Alesis Andromeda A6, Roland SH-101, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY85, Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000VP, Roland GR700+G707
Old 27.07.2006, 04:35 AM
This forum member lives here

Congrats! Im also the proud owner of a near-mint Juno 60:

It produces some great bass using just the sub osc and Chorus on 2.

Be careful though, looks like you've caught the analogue bug bad. I started with a Yamaha CS-10 analogue mono, then got the Roland Juno 60 and a Roland D-50. I've also just got a PG-1000 programmer for the D-50 and I have a Roland TR-707 on it's way soon. Try running the SH-101 through some stomp boxes. I run my CS-10 through a distortion and delay and get some great sounds.

P.S I know the D-50 is not analogue, but it is still vintage

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 27.07.2006, 04:41 AM

Oh yea, the D-50 was really popular, a friend of mine used one a ways back and it was like his "main" keyboard mostly. Kind of like the most popular digital Roland probably!

If I go for a virus, it will probably be a desktop C model later down the road, it certainly seems sufficient and capable.

I was almost tempted to get a really cheap SY-85, you ever had any experience with those?

Edit: That Juno looks fucking pristine! You could eat off those keys.
Synths can be like women. After the initial few months of intense love-making, things become routine, banal. Once the deepest recesses have been probed, new specimens begin to attract the eye, bursting with promise of unique treasures to uncover. --Doof
__
Alesis Andromeda A6, Roland SH-101, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY85, Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000VP, Roland GR700+G707
Old 27.07.2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Phillips
If I go for a virus, it will probably be a desktop C model later down the road, it certainly seems sufficient and capable.
Good choice! I want to trade in my RackXL for a desktop or KC at some point.

Quote:
I was almost tempted to get a really cheap SY-85, you ever had any experience with those?
Never played one before, but it doesnt seem to have any standout features. Just looks like an early workstation type synth, using AWM synthesis.

Quote:
Edit: That Juno looks fucking pristine! You could eat off those keys.
Hehehe....yeah, I was lucky with that one. The insides were relatively dust free too. Although I just spent AUD$200 getting it serviced!!!!!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 27.07.2006, 07:33 PM

The Juno 60 was my first polysynth. I think they are awesome at certain sounds (bass, chorussy pads and drones)

Let me know how you get on with the A6. Im particularly interested to hear your thoughts on that one.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 28.07.2006, 12:56 AM

I've only had the A6 for a few days but right off the bat it was clearly evident that it was not a digital source at the heart. The sound has the great analog fluctuations and inconsist character. It has a good top end and can scream, the sync algorithm seems nice, it has hard and soft sync which has a very different timbre in itself with almost any sound.

I don't know how to program it the way I really want to yet, but I'm getting there. The modulation matrix is pretty extensive, 3 LFOs is very useful and I don't think it needs 3 oscillators (it has 2, and I don't think people are complaining.) If anything it could maybe use a boost in the stereo panning department for voices. Things seem to be a little too mono without adding effects but I might be missing something at the moment. It could use an extra envelope which would be nice but I haven't really exhausted the 3 that are given right now anyways.

The bugs in the OS are very minor I don't think many people would be annoyed with anything. The only real weird bug in my opinion is the duty cycle of the pulse wave, it is really 52% instead of 50% to get a perfect duty cycle, but it is not terribly major. You can mix in the pulse wave with different amplitudes. This is the only osc wavefom with independent amplitude control. It defaults to 50% (bug?) but you need to set it to 22% for it to "match" the other waveforms, just hit up+down keys simultaneously after turning the level knob for the pulse wave to set it to 22.

I like running the voices on rotary assignment, each note uses the next voice regardless of the polyphony and that imparts a bit of randomness to the sound. You can easily see this with an oscilloscope or just listening to 2 oscillators at the same frequency without sync on one note and then striking another note. The oscs drift in a different manner on each voice.

There is a nice feature to mix back in the fundamental sine wave of either or both oscillators and/or the ring mod if you choose after filtering. Something that I think was (somewhat) a feature of the CS80, not too many synths do that. The mixing aspects of everything on this synth seem to be very good. With very basic oscs you can mix things in various ways and just literally spend hours before exhausting just the tiniest bit of potential. Then change something on one of the oscs and your in a different ballpark again.

The A6 is hard to find right now, I couldnt find ANY place that had any in stock. Some were not very truthful and said they would have one shipping in a week. but I think that is false. Everything is manufacturer ordered and that supply is currently low. I heard a rumor that there was a manufacturing problem that needed to be rectified before the next stock was shipped and that it would be not until September when that was ready.

Some of the key features of the board in my opinion:

- VERY flexible envelope system, has many contours for each stage which greatly change the sound, especially when used with the filters.

- Nice mixing system, post and pre and has a lot of flexibility, especially adding back of the fundamental. There are 2 ways to do a notch filter which has a bit of a difference because the one method uses the independent slopes of each filter; 12dB SEM and 24dB Moog.

- Ribbon controller rocks. Can adjust each half to do different things if you want and has a "hold" mode that you can click on that remembers the last position your finger was at.

- Portamento is VERY flexible. Has almost any conceivable type of portamento and even legato and a "reverse legato" if you will. You can even modulate portamento stuff. Weird.

- Soft sync algorithm is really good. Not many thing have soft sync in addition to hard sync. Syncs harmonics instead of just osc duty cycles.

- Has quite a few engine modes. Fast to slow for basses (fast) down to evolving pads (slow). Changes things quite a bit.

- Autotuning is nice and reliable. Turn on only temperature tuning and turn off background tuning of unused voices and it will work fine and still have character.

- Envelopes are all 7 stage, 2 are bipolar. They are very flexible and I like the curve changes. I've actually found myself using these curve differences the most.

- Modulation capability is VERY extensive, just takes some time to set everything up. Most stuff is laid out for you fairly easily but it can still take some time to make the most of it.

- There is a fairly esoteric feature called the TRACKING GENERATOR, but it seems like it could be useful it is just kind of hard to understand. It does let you reconfigure quite a bit of things and you can use CROUTES to reprogram things in some other manners, but I've not really used these. Example though is you could use the tracking generator in addition to something like the mod wheel to change the curve of modulation applied by the mod wheel. At the very top end you could have something like distortion kick in at the top of a filter sweep.

- Has global and voice randoms so you can use those to add extra inconsistencies/fluctuations into parameters, and use the global random for inconsistencies that need to remain at a somewhat predictable value between parameters, and not vary per voice.

- The knobs don't transmit CC, but they do transmit. I've successfully recorded knob tweaks into Sonar without trouble. The parameters are just sent via 4 pairs of numbers, 2 that identify the parameter and are combined to form an NRPN value, and then a pair that represent the actual value. I believe they are 14-bit accuracy. It works well, you just can't control VSTi shit with them like a MIDI controller. Big deal! This works better for the A6, it has very smooth parameter store and playback, just don't use the DENSE option, it will give your sequencer a fucking heart attack! I use number 4 currently without problems. Can even overdub multiple parameters on different takes and combine the best takes later.

The worst parts about it? The effects blow. But who cares?! Get a Virus and run it through its effects, thats what I want to do. It is a shame that the effects suck though, because you can independently add the distortion circuit (which is analog) into the FX bus and not the main output. That spices up the reverbs quite a bit if it is at a low number like 3% distortion. If the effects were really good this would rock. The only recourse I could see for this would be to send the distortion out the MAIN, and run that through your outboard FX, then use dry AUX out and mix that in with the outboard FX to taste. I don't mind the distortion on here, but you can't go very high with it. A distortion pedal is probably better though but I don't have one.

Also, the LFOs only go to 25Hz but I guess that is the nature of an LFO, something you can't hear.. But if you are used to fast "audible" level LFOs you have to hit something like the pitch envelope and use that in looping mode since that operates faster. I think you can do up to a 500Hz unipolar saw "LFO" with looping envelopes.

The bass end leaves not so much to be desired but I have not fully explored this yet. I think though I will use the SH-101 and Juno for that territory!
__
Old 28.07.2006, 01:28 AM

Congrats!

Yeah once the bug bites it bites hard!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 28.07.2006, 02:11 AM

Yea I was going to get some Raid or Black Flag for that bug but my now empty bank account now completely nullified the need for it.
__
Old 28.07.2006, 07:52 PM

Hey DS would you say it would be a good idea to try to track down a Jupiter-8 at some point? Look awfully sexy they do.

Though I see a lot of good words about old SY77's as well, esp regarding strings.
__
Old 16.08.2006, 01:54 AM
New here
New here

I have the TG500 which is the rack version of the SY85. Really nice sound, lovely pads etc.