Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 25.06.2009, 06:20 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default New user...Couple of questions...

Hello all.

I have had my TI a few weeks now, and loving ...95% of our time together..

Things I dont like .........The manual is a bit (embarresed to admit) over my head. !!!!

Would of liked a more "Virus TI for dummies" edition, as I am pretty new to synths and noticed the manual seems more for those that know at least a little about them.

If anyone has a few good "Dummie" tutorials out there, I would appreciate the links..Not so much on setting up and routing etc, but leaning more towards actual synthesis tutorials.

My next question is this.....Can anyone reccomend a good stand alone vsti program for windows that I could use with virus control ?

I know the virus TI makes sounds without being connected to the computer, but I much prefer to use virus control as like I say, I am new to the virus and have limited synth knowledge.
The virus control makes it a lot easier for me to see what changes I have to, and being more used to soft synths this is a god send.

The reason I ask this, is becuase I would love to use it stand alone mode withut worrying about opening my DAW and let all the cpu go to using the virus.

One last thing....I read through a few posts on this board, and noticed a post which was asking somthing like this.....

"Did you use the VST..3 Version with cubase ? "

Now can someone tell me where the VST3 version is at ?
I am not sure if my DAW (Sonar v supports the vst3 versions.

I have been using it as a plugin in sonar recently, and dont know if its the vst3 version I have been using, or if its vst 2 ???
If it is the vst 3 I have used, then I guess it is compatible, but if its vst 2 I am using, then I wonder if vst 3 would work and be more stable ????

Thanks.
Old 25.06.2009, 06:21 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Hmmmm ?? why did my number 8 turn into a smiley face ?
Old 26.06.2009, 02:34 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Don't believe that Sonar v8 supports vst3 technology. Also, the Virus Control installer doesn't select the vst3 option by default so unless you checked the box during the setup to include it for installation, you most likely don't have it installed.

You will be running the vst2 vc.

When you say vsti program to use it with, do you mean a wrapper so you can run the VC standalone?

If that is the case and you don't want to run it in a DAW then you could try this link:

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

HTH,

Simon

Virus-TI2 KB, Powercore compact, Intel i7 Quad Core on Gamers republic mobo (Nvidia Chipset), 4Gb Ram, 250Gb Sata, Windows Vista x32 SP1.

Ableton Live 8.04
Old 26.06.2009, 10:55 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Watch the tutorial videos if you want to learn how to use the Virus. I know that may sound like a typical response, but the ones included with the Virus really are useful especially for beginners.

As for the manual... you can think of it as a dictionary. If there's one specific function you need to know what it does, look it up in the manual... just as you would a dictionary for any particular word you came across.
Old 28.06.2009, 09:39 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Also you should have a look at the excellent Virus Programming Tutorial by Howard Scarr,I have a paper copy that came with my virus but you can also download it from the access website,its at the bottom of the download page.
Old 28.06.2009, 06:25 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

origonally posted by PaulDavid"(The reason I ask this, is becuase I would love to use it stand alone mode withut worrying about opening my DAW and let all the cpu go to using the virus.")
The virus shouldnt use any more cpu in a daw than in stand alone mode. It does all its proccessing inside the unit.
Old 28.06.2009, 10:24 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
origonally posted by PaulDavid"(The reason I ask this, is becuase I would love to use it stand alone mode withut worrying about opening my DAW and let all the cpu go to using the virus.")
The virus shouldnt use any more cpu in a daw than in stand alone mode. It does all its proccessing inside the unit.

I shouldnt of used that example actually. But I also think it must use some cpu power, becuase it still is a plug in right ?

Either way, I am still in the teething stage of using my virus, and am struggling with sync errors constantly.

Also another thing I notice is that when I make real time adjusments, say to a midi clip in a track. I notice that the adjustments I make and hear while it is playing back, are never the same when I stop playback and then start it again.

That is somthing to do with my DAW, I know that much, but what excactly is it ?

I am using sonar with a dual core 2.6 and 3 gigs of ram, and all the usual pc tweaks that can be done.

Another thing I notice is that when I bounce a midi clip to audio, there is a pretty big problem with the audio clip I just made not being lined up with the midi note.
Normally its about 1/4 note behind the midi notes.
I am doing the bounce in real time like it says to do though.