Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 05.04.2009, 10:01 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Access TI (VST3) and Cubase 5 sidechain query

Hi

I'm a little confused and would like some advice/help please.

Recently updated Access TI to OS 3.0.1.9 which now has VST3 support. The Virus has 3 out/1 In however, according to Access, Cubase5 does not support sidechaining however I would have thought now with VST3 side-chaining should work and therefore it should be possible to use the 3outputs/1 inputs. The reason I say this is due to Access stating that 3 outputs/1 input is not possible due to Cubase not supporting sidechaining.

Can anyone help/explain as I am confused.

Cheers.

But fairplay to Access for updating to VST3 (hope they haven't just rename the dll with the VST3 extension!!!)

H

(PS posted same at Cubase.net) covering myself as I am sure one will lay the blame on the other!

Last edited by TheHobbit : 05.04.2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06.04.2009, 09:00 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHobbit View Post
Hi

I'm a little confused and would like some advice/help please.

Recently updated Access TI to OS 3.0.1.9 which now has VST3 support. The Virus has 3 out/1 In however, according to Access, Cubase5 does not support sidechaining however I would have thought now with VST3 side-chaining should work and therefore it should be possible to use the 3outputs/1 inputs. The reason I say this is due to Access stating that 3 outputs/1 input is not possible due to Cubase not supporting sidechaining.

Can anyone help/explain as I am confused.

Cheers.

But fairplay to Access for updating to VST3 (hope they haven't just rename the dll with the VST3 extension!!!)

H

(PS posted same at Cubase.net) covering myself as I am sure one will lay the blame on the other!
yes, you are confused

cubase supports side chaining for a long while but not for instruments. no cubase version does that, including cubase 5. this will hopefully change in a future release of cubase.

>But fairplay to Access for updating to VST3 (hope they haven't just rename
>the dll with the VST3 extension!!!)

if it would be that simple ...

marc
Old 06.04.2009, 12:22 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
yes, you are confused

cubase supports side chaining for a long while but not for instruments. no cubase version does that, including cubase 5. this will hopefully change in a future release of cubase.

>But fairplay to Access for updating to VST3 (hope they haven't just rename
>the dll with the VST3 extension!!!)

if it would be that simple ...

marc
Thanks for confirming the unfortunate news about the sidechaining still not being a viable option. Wondering however, can you give a low down of what the VST3 version has to offer over the VST2 version? Why suddenly now are we seeing this? Just curious on the technicals behind it. Thanks.
Old 06.04.2009, 01:48 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
Thanks for confirming the unfortunate news about the sidechaining still not being a viable option. Wondering however, can you give a low down of what the VST3 version has to offer over the VST2 version? Why suddenly now are we seeing this? Just curious on the technicals behind it. Thanks.
right now it doesn't offer anything on top. you are seeing this version because we are beginning to test it (after all, this is a public beta test ...). side chaining in cubase instruments will not work unless steinberg makes it work.

best, marc
Old 06.04.2009, 02:28 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
right now it doesn't offer anything on top. you are seeing this version because we are beginning to test it (after all, this is a public beta test ...). side chaining in cubase instruments will not work unless steinberg makes it work.

best, marc
Thanks again Marc. I don't put much faith into Steinberg making any changes, at least not anytime soon.

With this being a beta, and nothing new on top yet for the VST3 version, what do you expect to have different in a non beta VST3 version of the plugin? I am unsure of the differences between VST3 and VST2 so would like to know what a VST3 version could offer over what we have now in a VST2 version.
Old 06.04.2009, 03:17 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
Thanks again Marc. I don't put much faith into Steinberg making any changes, at least not anytime soon.

With this being a beta, and nothing new on top yet for the VST3 version, what do you expect to have different in a non beta VST3 version of the plugin? I am unsure of the differences between VST3 and VST2 so would like to know what a VST3 version could offer over what we have now in a VST2 version.
there are things in VST3 which we would like to use in the future. right now, it doesn't matter much which version you're using. but since this is a public beta test we take the chance to see, if there are remaining problems in the VST3 port.
as for faith and fixes/adjustments in cubase all i can say that we are in communication with them and there is a mutual understanding of what needs to be done.

best, marc
Old 06.04.2009, 07:51 PM
Pro
Pro

Thanks for the response Marc, I was confident it was a C5 issue regarding VSTi's.

Regarding the comment for VST3 extension I recently read a developer had done something similar to that (can't remember who or what so please no flames).

PS 64 bit support please

Will the virus work in a 32bit function with Cubase?
If so what issues would we face?

Reason being want to make use of 64bit architecture and more importantly the extra RAM support for sample memory.

Cheers...and loving the Virus. If only I could now afford TI Polar on top

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 06.04.2009, 08:37 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Regarding the comment for VST3 extension I recently read a developer had done something similar to that (can't remember who or what so please no flames).
there is only one VST3 host on the market: cubase. and cubase supports VST 2.4 as well as version 3. so what would be the benefit, even if renaming would just work?

anyway, i didn't try, i just know that we spend a couple of weeks on it.

marc
Old 06.04.2009, 09:18 PM
Pro
Pro

No worries marc, not having a go, just wanted to backup my claim regarding an article I read regarding a developer renaming the vst plugin as a 3. I am confident that it is not that clear cut as you stated.

64 bit support please

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 06.04.2009, 10:48 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
No worries marc, not having a go
i didn't think you had a go at all

m