Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 17.09.2005, 05:46 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

the whole purpose of good accurate monitors is that the mix will translet butifuly on any system whether its a 20k audiophile hifi system or your mom's crappy kitchen 20 bucks radio.
Old 17.09.2005, 10:37 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Yep, but I think the truth is, that you can only really hear if a mix is done on Adam?s or on Genelecs, on the really really high end hifi systems Lets not forgot all of em fantastic songs that you still play today, that have been done on simple PA systems when the technology of nowadays speakers wasn't even available!!

-VR
Old 17.09.2005, 11:05 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
the whole purpose of good accurate monitors is that the mix will translet butifuly on any system whether its a 20k audiophile hifi system or your mom's crappy kitchen 20 bucks radio.
That's exactly the reason. Good monitors, in theory, = a more portable mix. I often send mixes to my best friend (not telling him the reason), knowing that he only has small computer speakers. Sometimes he says, "Wow, that a cool song" or "That song sucked, WTF were you thinking?" and I figure I did a pretty good job mixing it, because he's listening to the song. If, however, he says, "I couldn't hear a lot of the parts, but it probably doesn't matter because I'm listening on computer speakers," I know that I have work yet to do.

The need for great monitors these days is higher than ever, because modern playback systems are getting worse and worse. iPod headphones and computer speakers are what you have to finally test with, and in order to get a mix banging on those, as well as quality systems, critical monitoring is essential.

FWIW, amazing sounding speakers have been around for more than 40 years, as well as amplification. Transducers aren't rocket science for the manufacturers, it's just a matter of making decisions between budget restraints, consumer interests, and the market demand for higher performing products. Speaker development in the last ten years has focused much more on finding different materials and crafting a more durable, longer lasting speaker. They've been sounding good for a long time...
Old 18.09.2005, 12:40 AM

Truer words have'nt been spoken!

Great monitoring is essential, which includes the room, placement between speakers, placement between listener, height, etc etc....

Ideally when mixing you have the flattest response possible, and like Panopticon said, reference your mixes on a number of different playback systems.

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 18.09.2005, 10:33 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

I would totally agree with it, if I just hadn't been watching John Lennon's recording of Imagine.

-VR
Old 18.09.2005, 01:24 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

That's totally fallacious. Those guys were using state of the art equipment that still holds up today. To say, "well, they made records on 8 tracks," but they had the very best stuff at hand and recording legends exhibiting their skills on it. I can easily get my songs down to 4 stereo channels for mixdown, but I don't have U47's, Fairchilds, Neves, and the like. Nevertheless, I can mix a semi-decent (not platinum level) song. Do you think that the Beatles closed themselves off from the technology at hand? If so, you're high. They had great equipment, world-class engineers, (and the best songwriter to date). High quality sound didn't originate in the 90's, we're still doing our best to match sound quality with the functionality we now enjoy. I'd like to know, vvanrij, have you dedicated yourself completely to the pursuit of music, and do you have albums on the store shelves to speak for it? Because from the looks of things, you're just some asinine prick with a cracked copy of Cubase who think's he's the recording genius of the century. I've struggled long and hard to accumulate the knowledge I have, and I'm still not completely there. To off-handedly dismiss the views of professionals who dedicate their lives to this pursuit is reckless, at best. Luckily, I am fortunate enough to have found a calling in music, and to the best of my knowledge, Jasedee and Hollowcell are the only other two people on this forum who have amassed the skill to pursue music as a career (Hollowcell may not be doing it yet, but could if he dedicated himself to it. (And Juho could def. find work, as he has discriminately great taste in sound, and an ability to create good ones)).

So you come in here a little over a week ago and start telling people what they need to know about music...lemme tell ya something...just at the point where you think you know the answers, you don't know shit. There's a reason Clearmountain has the status he does: he's been in it forever, and learned the hard lessons to make lasting recordings.

If it would appease you, I'd happily make a mix on computer speakers, and you can then proudly present to the world my inferior ability to making good sounding recordings. But, as long as I have to pay for my mortgage with my work, I'm going to use all the tools I find essential to creating listenable tracks. I don't get paid to be a mix or mastering engineer, so all my tracks are, by definition, "rough mixes," but I do as well as I can with what's available to me (which, through luck and a fanbase, is thankfully more than most).

PM me with your real name and town, and when I come to your area I'll put you on the backstage list, and you can tell me how much I don't know as soon as I get off stage. FWIW, we'll be opening for Tool their next tour...
Old 18.09.2005, 01:32 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Sorry for the rant, just a bit miffed right now (and I still don't like that mix I posted, but I hope it tranlates the basic idea).
Old 18.09.2005, 02:32 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

8O WOW 8O Calm down!! I haven't offended you have I?!?

Anyway, Imagine was recorded when the beatles were already parted

And my point was more being that the whole track was recorded live with no additional mastering (thats at least what he sais on his video). Anyway I can defend the whole thing I saw, but that would be kind of pointless, and you being offended and all , anyway just rent the movie made by John Lennon and his oh so beloved YOKO ONO of the making of Imagine. I think you'l be surprised..

And there is really no need to get personal and stuff and crying out how 'pro' you are, cause you must have learned to keep things to the point in a discussion!

-VR
Old 18.09.2005, 02:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

oh yeah! we got some beating going on here.
this is the true essents of the unofficial virus forum,i wish juho was here to see this! (tears of joy)

btw: m8 when are you done with your album,
I would love to hear some clips from it.
Old 19.09.2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon
we'll be opening for Tool their next tour...
Thats fucking amazing! Well done mate...

What happened to King Crimson supporting Tool??? I always thought that would be the best fucking concert EVER! KC and Tool on the same bill.

Good luck!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60