Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 29.01.2006, 11:02 AM

Default Pizzicato sounds as used by Faithless

Would it be possible to create those Pizzicato sounds with a Virus?

I love the sound and have been wanting to know this for a while.

If you've heard Faithless you will know the sound i mean

Thanks
Old 29.01.2006, 11:17 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Which track(s) are you thinking off? Theres lots of different piz sounds in their tracks

BTW - I think there is a Virus among their synth collection.
Old 29.01.2006, 11:36 AM

Salva Mea is my favourite

But any piz sounds would be great, I wasnt sure if they used a samples or a synth though.
Old 29.01.2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Explorer
Would it be possible to create those Pizzicato sounds with a Virus?
Similar, but most probably not.

I absolutely love that SalvaMea/Insomnia pizzi sound too.

My Salva Mea - 500kb Mp3

^ Quickly made with a Roland MC505 (pizzi + single 808 drum) just shoved through an RNC I think. I recorded that snippet years ago. Think I overdid the 505's onboard reverb/delay a touch, lol.

The pizzicato in the MC505 is similar to the faithless Salva Mea - nearly there, but not quite (on it's own). I think the pizzicato used in the real Salva Mea is the MC505 pizzi with a low-pass filter to remove the top-most freqs to make it sound smoother, and layered with another sample. I can't be 100% sure, though.

If you wished, though, for a fiver or something (paypal?), I'd be happy to map out all the waveforms and key-ranges in the MC505's Pizzicato multi-sample (using [these] techniques) and record them completely dry and top/tail them for you if you wished. PM me if you're interested.

I think the Roland JV-1080 had a similar if not the same pizzi as the MC505. I never got to hear it, though.
Old 29.01.2006, 04:28 PM

I was going to suggest it might have been a reprocessed sample from a Korg M1 (I cant remember which preset, Ill try and find out) layered over a fairly standard piz bass arp.

If I was going to do this on virus, I guess IO would start with your standard saw bass arp and layer a perc dance organ bass type patch on it.

Nice sound tho timo
Old 29.01.2006, 04:42 PM

Grrr - cant find the track...

Can you post a clip from Salva Mea?
Old 29.01.2006, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Just spliced together and mixed up a copy of the relevant bits.

[Faithless - Salva Mea (spliced)] ~400kb mp3 (mono 48kbps)

(c) Faithless.

Sounds like there's a pizzi-like arp running underneath it, too, as well as a subtle 303 coming in harder @ 32secs, joined with brass stabs as well. Plenty of quality 'verb on the main riff.

PS > I'll check out the M1 soundset. I have the full official M1 waveforms for my Trinity lying around somewhere. It had a nice dance-type piano too, if I remember rightly, also a similar organ bass as used in Kylie's "Can't Get You Outta My Head", I think.
Old 29.01.2006, 07:37 PM

Ta - Ill take a look. BTW - I was listening the one in Insomnia - will check the Salva Mea one.

Still thinking organ type wave, maybe with a hypersaw over the top to give it some richness and gloss - I do think its two separate synths (and/or samples) here, or a pre-filter signal is being sent to the verb.

The underlying arp I think you can hear (if its anything like the one in Insomnia) is actually a damped 4/3 delay at a guess.

The M1 patch you looking for I *think* (so long ago) is one of the melodic chromostic percusion ones.

BTW- yeh - the M1 did have a good piano - still sort after for dance tracks along with roland's U20 paino sounds.
Old 29.01.2006, 07:57 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Ta - Ill take a look. BTW - I was listening the one in Insomnia - will check the Salva Mea one.

Still thinking organ type wave, maybe with a hypersaw over the top to give it some richness and gloss - I do think its two separate synths (and/or samples) here, or a pre-filter signal is being sent to the verb.

The underlying arp I think you can hear (if its anything like the one in Insomnia) is actually a damped 4/3 delay at a guess.

The M1 patch you looking for I *think* (so long ago) is one of the melodic chromostic percusion ones.

BTW- yeh - the M1 did have a good piano - still sort after for dance tracks along with roland's U20 paino sounds.
the insomnia patch is a JV-180 factory patch. it's a pizzicato (transient) sample with loads of reverb.

did you try korg's digital legacy collection? they got a virtual M1

best, marc
Old 29.01.2006, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
the insomnia patch is a JV-1080 factory patch. it's a pizzicato (transient) sample with loads of reverb.
Thought as much. I wonder if it's any different to the MC505 pizzi waveform. Just found out the MC505 came out about three years after the JV1080, so probably so.

I mailed Roland. Unless anyone here has an JV1080 (surely )? Or the XP-50, which I think has the same synth engine as the JV1080.

[edit]Actually, on reading some stuff the faithless pizzi may have come from the JD990.