Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 19.07.2004, 06:18 AM
This forum member lives here

Blank, when you hear what a hoover sounds like.....you'll wonder why the hell people like it heheheheh

Its goto be one of the most shite 'reveered' sounds ever.

Ill see if I can dig out a clip of one, or perhaps ill quickly make one and send u the .mid file

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 19.07.2004, 09:06 AM
Veteran
Veteran

cool thanx..

peace
Blank
Old 19.07.2004, 08:45 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

haha not winding you folks up honest ting is a lot the tracks I play is hoover laden love it or not - it works and sells well - I love the underground scene and want to make some input!

I realise the virus c is oh so capable of much more but I am just on the beginning of a pleasurable journey - just need to get off to a flying start

Do you think if I take a week off work and learn the manual inside out and back to front I should be well on my way - or should I stagger my learning - I understand that there is a steep learning curve with this type of technology - please advise ...
Old 20.07.2004, 12:19 AM

I say take the steep learning curve. The Virus is a full-on synth to take the plunge with though - so many options. Jump in is my advice.

Great to see you are back with those sound-sets coming along Blank!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 20.07.2004, 01:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran

the thing is you can learn all about the virus and its functions...that would probably take you a week...then you have to get a feel for it...you have to comfortable with what the functions do to the sound...its not as easy as ring mod does this...you have to learn to think upsidedown...like, would ring mod make it sound more like this...its really easy to know what modulated pitch sounds like...but when dealing with the whole you have to realize that you are not focusing on one aspect of the sound...but them all combined...you must learn patients all over again...because like every1 who buys a synth you want to just tweak certain knobs and get the sound you are looking for...that doesnt happen...and sometimes you will find out that adding something that you didnt think would work actually does...knowing synthesis is not everything aswell...because u still have to feel how the synth creates and affects sound...ie not all synths are the same sounding...you are learning an instrument and therefore are in for the long hall...so 3 things will possibly happen...you will either by a soundset...sell the virus C and say it sux...or learn how to play an instrument...

peace
Blank
Old 20.07.2004, 09:40 AM
Administrator

I've said many times as an advice to beginner Virus users that before you start fooling around take the manual in your hand and read it through while trying out the features with your Virus. That way you learn how to use your synth and you also learn how different parts of Virus affect the sound.

So the best way simply is that choose the last patch of C bank and start reading the manual. And for example when you get to the part explaining oscillator section you tweak the oscillators in a way explained in the manual (like this: Manual says: "This knob here controls the shape of first oscillator", you turn the shape knob and say: "Cool!"). When you're through the oscillator part of the manual you reload the last patch of C bank and move to next chapter which probably is filter section. Continue this until you have read through the whole manual and went through every part of your Virus. Now it's time to start fooling around. Reload the last patch of C bank and start experimenting.

Edit: And speaking of hoovers aren't they consisted from PWM waves, not saws?
Old 20.07.2004, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Hoovers, just like these, innit: Rave/hoover

Saws, bags of detune and maybe twin/triple unison, with an envelope set up to pitch down from a higher pitch to the proper pitch at the beginning for a doppler effect (as shown), if you wish.
Old 20.07.2004, 03:28 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Once again thanks for all your input chaps, keep em coming
Old 18.08.2004, 06:33 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
Hoovers, just like these, innit: Rave/hoover

Saws, bags of detune and maybe twin/triple unison, with an envelope set up to pitch down from a higher pitch to the proper pitch at the beginning for a doppler effect (as shown), if you wish.
Currently off work and ploughing thru the manual
Old 18.10.2004, 02:00 AM
Pro
Pro

Hey Tomer. I am a newbie here. Just got a virus B last week and am absolutely loving it. Have got the hang of the basics and now starting to design my own patches. What an enormous learning curve though. Is there any chance that you can post a midi file of that hoover sound so i can reverse engineer it. I know it might be alot to ask but I definately want some grunty hoovers in my sound arsenal. Cheers. 8O