Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 20.07.2008, 06:48 PM
New here
New here

Default Total N00B question: Ti vs. Snow polyphony

Hi all. I'm looking into getting a virus desktop of some sort to use as a sound module in my setup which is all hardware and no PC. I'm not quite sure what multi mode is for virus synths. Does this mean the virus can play separate parts for separate midi channels coming from my sequencer?......as in a bass patch for midi ch.11, a lead for midi ch.12, and a lush pad on midi ch. 13 all at the same time?

I use a Fantom X6 as sequencer/controller for EMU XL7, and a MicroKorg.

TIA for answering my stupid question. I searched the intranets for an answer, but was unsuccessful....I also searched here.
Old 20.07.2008, 07:32 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Send a message via Skype™ to flipside

Yes, it can..

Best,
Alex
Old 20.07.2008, 07:37 PM
New here
New here

^^^^^Same with the snow? I would like a TI desktop, but too much$$$$

*EDIT* OK snow will do 4 parts....that should be enough for my meager setup.....now I only have to save up $1500 more than i have

Last edited by SPISHAK : 20.07.2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 20.07.2008, 10:28 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Indeed. Snow is 4-part multi-timbral, while all the other TIs are 16-part.

As to whether you can actually fully utilise all parts at the same time is also dictated by polyphony/voice usage.

eg, If you have a really thick pad using all three oscillators and a heap of unison, odds on you will probably only be able to use one or two parts!

The Snow has half the DSP power of the other TIs, so I'd imagine it would require more careful selection and allocation of various patches to parts if you want to use all timbres at the same time. Just something to bear in mind.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 21.07.2008, 12:48 AM
New here
New here

^^^^Yeah, I kinda figured that. But I pretty much just use stock patches and real-time knob tweeks to get what I'm after. Are most of the stock TI patches polyphony hogs? Most of the patches I use now are only using 2 voices each. I haven't really delved into creating patches because it kills my work flow thanks guys
Old 23.07.2008, 03:10 AM
New here
New here

BUMP! Sorry to bug you folks, but I need to know how many voices of polyphony the virus ti's use for the stock patches on average. The SNOW is in my price range right now, but if I can't get at least 3 patches out of it at the same time then I need to know so I can save up for a TI desktop before I make a purchase.

Thanks for your advice, Mike
Old 23.07.2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator

I don't have either a TI or Snow, so unfortunately can't answer for you. But I've renamed your thread to hopefully catch others' attention.
Old 23.07.2008, 01:02 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

the Ti Desktop (currently) does not have an exact display for how may voices
are in use / still remain ... nor a overall peak meter for system resources.

there's only some meter in the top right corner of the display which shows the resource utilization of the patch - so it's hard to give a precise answer.

like Timo wrote before ... it always depends on how many oscillators are in use and to which level Unison is set (1-8 Voices).

math example: 3 OSC * Unison x8 = 24 voices (max. utilization per patch)

hint: you still could reduce Unison level, if it's hard to the 50 / 80 voices limit.

Last edited by psy604 : 23.07.2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 23.07.2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy604 View Post
... it always depends on how many oscillators are in use and to which level Unison is set (1-8 Voices).

math example: 3 OSC * Unison x8 = 24 voices (max. utilization per patch)
Not only that, if you play three fingered chords you're tripling the voice usage further, then you have to think about release phases (to avoid note stealing) when you change chords, etc.

Sub basslines are usually monophonic, using 1 or 2 osc, so you're looking at just needing 1 voice for that part. Or 2 if you decide to use subtle twin unison.

Arpeggiated upper basslines: again monophonic, 2 oscs, twin or three unison = 2-to-4 voices.

Thick three-fingered pads/strings (chords) = Anything between 12 voices (for 2 osc, twin unison, and moderate EG releases) and 24 voices+ (for full blown 3 osc, 3 unison, and moderate release). Double the voice count further if you have even longer release times.

Leads: 2 or 3 osc, twin or 3 unison, moderate release = 12-24 voices.

Thick leads: 2 or 3 osc, 3 or 4 unison, moderate release = 24+ voices.

Ethereal/atmospheric stuff: Same as thick pads.

Blips, percussion, or FX, anything from 1 to 8 voices.

These are for classic oscillator types ONLY (as that's all I know, having an Indigo myself).

If you start using wavetables, formants, graintables, hypersaws etc, those guesstimates will be wrong. Some oscillator types require more DSP power than the classic ones, thus they'll reduce the voice count you have to play with with those patches.

So when Access give the figure "up to a maximum of 50 voices", you could have two parts playing chords and a thick lead and literally use up all of your polyphony... Or you could have a sub, arpeggiated top bassline, a few blips and a lead being able to use all four parts.

If you go stupid, you could use up all polyphony with one mofo behemoth of a patch, with just 10 voices to play with.

On the classic Virus though, I rarely use the third oscillator unless it really adds something to the sound. And similarly I rarely increase the unison beyond 3, otherwise it turns to mush. Some huge monophonic leads benefit from greater than 3 unison, but that's it, imho.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with regards to polyphony usage of the non-classic oscillators in the TI/Snow.
Old 23.07.2008, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Sound On Sound (UK music-tech magazine) have reviewed the Snow in their latest edition.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0...les/tisnow.htm

Subscribers only, or from a good newsagents, though. Unfortunately I don't have a copy to précis for you.