Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 16.04.2009, 08:48 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Tube processors

I have been reading for quite some time about tubes and how they really add to the sound quality of your tracks and was considering picking up one. But Im still learning the whole studio process and dont exactly know where it would go in the chain. From what I see most dont have that many ins and outs. Dont quite know how to use one. I know it seems like a dumb question for some of you but you gotta learn some how I guess. I started digital and have worked digital the whole time producing so I have a bit of a different concept.

The only ways I could figure to use it would be...

1) Like I use my sherman filter bank.
I route its in and out through my Motu 828 MKII and send the audio to that channel from one of my synths...but the catch is that I can only use one synth at a time and have to record them. Not all live.
2) or I could physically patch the cables from one synth to the tube every time. Which is just plan stupid.

How do you guys do it? Can someone guide me to a better solution?
Thanks a ton!
Blank
Old 20.04.2009, 10:53 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I have a Therminic Culture Vulture which does a similar thing to what you're describing.

Here's how I wired mine up:

1. I have have 2 synths, drum samples and VSTs and so on, potentially any or all of these may need to go into Culture Vulture.

2. I have an Onyx 400F audio interface, which has 8 ins and 8 outs. I wire up outputs 5+6 to the the Vulture's input left and right.

3. I connect the Vulture's output to the Onyx input 5+6.

4. Now by controlling the amount of signal sent to output 5+6 along with the channel volume for whichever controller lane/instrument I am working on, I can adjust the volume and the dry/wet ratio of each part.

The way you are doing it would be like routing the actual output of a particular part to outputs 5+6. A better way to do it is to use some kind of send/return system.
What host software are you using? I use Cubase 5. :>

-Annikk
Old 20.04.2009, 04:03 PM
Veteran
Veteran

That makes sense! I need to learn more about using buses too! Any good reading material anyone can send my way would be quite appreciated!!

As far as tubes pre's go or pre's in general to get a better warmth from the mix anyone have any opinions nothing over 500.

Thanx again
Old 20.04.2009, 04:07 PM
Infektion taking hold...

I always recommend the yamaha "sound reinforcement handbook". it explains everything from the basics of electronic sound representation through to mixing, routing, effects, and midi.

though it doesn't cover computer stuff... it is applicable to daw's because they are based on the model of a mixing console.

http://www.themoodchannel.com
Old 20.04.2009, 04:10 PM
Veteran
Veteran

So the book goes into detail quite good?
Old 20.04.2009, 04:19 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
So the book goes into detail quite good?
absolutely! it explains the use of busses for outboard effects processing... which is essentially what you are doing.

that particular issue is something you can probably figure out without a book... but reading this book is something that I consider essential for anyone dealing with sound in the form of electricity!

http://www.themoodchannel.com
Old 21.04.2009, 04:50 PM
Veteran
Veteran

hmm...okay! Well ill check it out...now anyone have any recommendations on tube pre's or pre's...i need warmth in my mixes...no more than $500 though dont need anything crazy!
Old 23.04.2009, 10:01 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I might be able to give you specific advice about your problem, but first we need to know what sequencer software are you using? :>

With regards to tubes, I have some diagnostic questions:

1. Is analog the only option, or would you be ok with a great-sounding digital unit?
2. Will you be using the device in a live scenario eventually?
3. Are you looking for subtle warming only, or do you also want to be able to crank it and get some more extreme distortion?

-Annikk
Old 23.04.2009, 05:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Good questions!!

I use ableton right now

Analog is not the only option if it sounds good and warm I just figured that with me using straight digital equipment getting an analog device to fill in the spectrum would be better but I dont know...
I would love to crank it and get some extreme distortion!!!
Old 24.04.2009, 08:30 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

How about the Pod XT Live?
Line 6 have some of the top audio R&D staff in the world right now..
Other than that, my favourite distortion pedal of all time is the Zoom Trimetal, but it's not because it sounds analog..

If you're looking to spend decent money then you could get real analog gear. Consider the Ridge Farm Boiler perhaps, or may as well take a look at the Culture Vulture. Neither of those units is particularly suited to live, but they are both true analog. The first is a compressor, the second is an actual rackmount distortion unit. I own the latter and I think it rocks :> I have samples of it kicking about somewhere if you're interested..

The Culture Vulture is the most expensive option, though. It's about £1000 i think..

-Annikk