Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 22.01.2009, 06:32 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Elektron, Jomox and Radikal Tech

I been reading about drum/groove machines available today and over the world wide web and im more confused now, lol. Ok top line for compose electronic music are:

Elektron Machinedrum and monomachine
Jomox 888 and 999
Spectralis

Looks like we have here Pepsi, Coca Cola y Dr Peper... someone have experience and can type a short description of each? because every company website show the own products like the best and the reviews forums is plenty of fanatics and some negative people, so... here we go.
Old 27.01.2009, 03:41 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Sure nobody have a beat machine here.
or maybe nobody care a shit.
Old 27.01.2009, 03:56 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I used a hardware drum sequencer once. Paid £200 for some alesis beasty. It was good for doodling on but I would hate to actually use it in a recording.

Does it _Really_ have to be a hardware unit? Software is so much better for sequencing drums... :> (imho)

I've heard good things about the MachineDrum but never used one myself.

-Annikk
Old 27.01.2009, 04:44 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I used the machine drum. It can get some nice mangled sounds, and has a nice sounding output. Software is definetly the way to go there. I couldn't handle the led screen all the time.
Old 27.01.2009, 07:05 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Don't forget the MPC series. Nice complement with a Virus if you don't want to go software. Its an all in one sampler/controller/sequencer and somehow gets the essential features right without too much complexity.

B
Old 28.01.2009, 06:00 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Thank you guys for the answers, but you know over the net we can find tons of information about it but always I like the opinion of the people over here.
Personally im a old school guy and I don't like VST's instruments but I have to recognize they are very handy and powerful today.
Thank you
Old 28.01.2009, 09:58 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default go Stylus RMX.....

I have been looking into Stylus RMX and have noticed at NAMM that they have released an even better version (V 1.7 with Time Designer) where you can map a groove from any existing audio loop onto the Stylus beat. I think as far as beat composing goes (especially if you are using Virus Control) you would be hard to match Stylus RMX as long as your PC and D/A is decent.

However if you are using one of the previous Viruses through standard MIDI a hardware beat box would be cool.
Old 10.02.2009, 06:48 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxahachie View Post
Thank you guys for the answers, but you know over the net we can find tons of information about it but always I like the opinion of the people over here.
Personally im a old school guy and I don't like VST's instruments but I have to recognize they are very handy and powerful today.
Thank you
If you're looking for hands on drums, and do mostly electronic music, the Elektron is the way to go. I find when my creativity is limited by hardware, I tend to make sue of what I have instead of searching edlessly for that sound on software.
I used to own a MD and am looking at actually purchasing it again because I am not getting anything done with software because of the limitless options. lol.
Old 10.02.2009, 06:50 PM

Oh, and the Spectralis. Tried one of these out and it was nice, but the company is small and I think there is two guys doing most of the work under the hood. The current OS is v0.97, and they just announced they are releasing the second hardware version. Sounds crazy to me that the OS hasn't even reached 1.0 and they are already upgrading the hardware. Hmmm...
Old 11.02.2009, 11:46 PM
New here
New here

I think it comes down to what suits you creativity (like Merlot above)
I've used Live for many years and that alone can yield amazing results, but since I bought the MachineDrum I'm making more music and seem to be using my ears and hands instead of eyes and mouse. I love it!
If you're searching for tactile feel (like I keeped searching for the absolute midi-controller) when get your hands on the MD and try it out. I haven't used the Jomox, Spectralis or Future Retro products, but they all seem very appealing and if you're an analog purist they may be better than the MD.
I'm working on a live-setup without computer consisting of the virus ti, machinedrum and a keyboard (remote sl - which can midi-merge) and so far it has been a blast.
Just my thoughts.. and good luck