Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 30.08.2008, 10:57 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Jd-800

Anybody else here using JD-800? I somehow managed to ignore the synth for many years, mainly due to its age. However, last week I purchased one from ebay. It needed some service. I have been fixing it a couple of days and it is working nicely now. I took all keys off and cleaned them + some of the contacts. I still have to replace 6 front panel switches which need alot of pressure to work. Anyway, I am quite happy with the purchase. The synth looks cool and sounds very nice. The user interface is very easy to use because it has lots of knobsss. I also have the strings ensemble card set for it. Have to start programming some new sounds soon...

Last edited by F5D : 30.08.2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 31.08.2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Very nice!

I believe the JD800 has THE pizzicato sound of Faithless - Insomnia/Salva Mea, and Sash's Encore une Fois.
Old 31.08.2008, 08:05 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Yeah I love the JD800 , it was my fave synth.

I don't have room for another and the thought of programming a JD990 front panel scares me. Maybe one day I'll get another..

Though the JD does have the pizz sound, I always thought that the trancey one was a CS6X ?
Old 01.09.2008, 01:34 AM

These are amazing synths. Every now and again Roland comes out with something special. Nice buy!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 01.09.2008, 07:28 PM
Pro
Pro

I wish the synth will last long. I have cleaned it inside out. I uninstalled and cleaned the front panel fader circuit boards today. I am still going to replace the main volume potentiometer (makes some clicks and pops, it is old) and the 6 micro switches. Then it is fully working. I have to get a proper stand for the synth. I don't know where I will put the chair. I don't have much room left here anymore.

edit. Still have to say that played the synth an hour last night and it truely sounds amazing! The strings card set is actually very good, some say the best expansion card for the JD series and I believe them. By mixing the real strings with the synthesized ones gives nice results. Actually the real strings sound very good alone too. I can't believe how Roland managed to build a digital synth sounding this good in 1991!

Actually I am planning to put my XV-3080 and the expansion cards for sale. It is also a nice sounding synth but the JD-800 beats it hands down in the ease of editing. It is sad that synth companies don't put as much effort in designing new synths and programming sounds as they did years ago. From now on, I am mostly interested in old synths with less options than new synths with too many options because the old ones really seem to have more soul, even the digital ones.

Next on the list are FS1R, JD-990 and Prophet-8 (that synth really has a soul!). There were 2 FS1R's for sale in ebay at the time I bought my JD-800. It was a difficult decision, which one to buy, the JD or the FS1R. I would have won the FS1R if I had bid but decided to get the JD first.

And yeah, I guess the JD has _the_ pizzicato sound. At least I played one that sounds about identical to the one Faithless used. I like their music alot. I would like to see them live because they never play the songs the same way as on the albums. It's very progressive, almost like jazz and I like it.

Last edited by F5D : 02.09.2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09.09.2008, 06:27 PM
Pro
Pro

Check out the mod I did to my JD800

Old 10.09.2008, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Wow, very nice indeed. Looks absolutely spot on!

Where did you get that from? Do they do them in Indigo/blue?! How did you hook it up, electrically?

Fantastic. A very nice little mod.
Old 10.09.2008, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Is it illuminated or just florescent? At a closer glance, it looks the latter!?

Pimp My Synth. We should start a new thread.
Old 10.09.2008, 06:46 AM
Pro
Pro

Actually it is just an orange felt strip I added, cost something like 3 euros in a local fabric store. Very easy job. I did not touch the LEDs or anything.
Old 28.09.2008, 06:17 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
Anybody else here using JD-800?
Always wanted one, jsut never found one at the right price, condition etc etc.

So I've got a JD-990 with the Vintage Synth Expansion installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamEvil View Post
I don't have room for another and the thought of programming a JD990 front panel scares me. Maybe one day I'll get another..
Actually not that harder, considering the panel shows the graphics of the waveforms etc etc