Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 09.02.2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default A new toy

If I don't count my Fatar SL161 as an instrument, I have been without a proper keyboard instrument for years. Now I finally decided it's time to get one again and start playing and practicing again.

Naturally it all started as an innocent 350 euro second-hand Alesis QS8 plan. I almost had one, but the seller backed up. Too bad I already had gotten quite a severe case of GAS so it all led to the classic comparisation vortex. "With 350 I could get that one, but if I add 70 euros, I could get that one... But with 50 euros more it's already on that league...". Finally I ended up with this one and porished moderately.

At least I hope that a real playing focused instrument helps me to get back my inspiration. I still have to wait for a week for it, but it's worth it.
Old 10.02.2009, 06:38 PM

Fine looking set of keys? How's the weight on 'em?
Old 10.02.2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Fine looking set of keys? How's the weight on 'em?
I played around with one in a local music store and the keys felt quite good. A bit lighter than on a real piano (afterall the RD-300SX only weights 15 kilos) but enough to get a piano feel.

I also test drove the RD-700GX which had the heavy realistic key action from FP-pianos. It really didn't feel so much better than the lighter touch on the RD-300GX that I'd feel the urge to spend huge pile of extra cash and lug around way over 20 kilos of keyboard around.

I should get my hands on my RD-300SX next week. Then I can give a more in depth review.
Old 10.02.2009, 11:50 PM

Have you tried the weighted keys on a yamaha? I lean towards those.
Old 13.02.2009, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Have you tried the weighted keys on a yamaha? I lean towards those.
In addition to RD-series I tested Yamaha P140 and Kawai MP8. The touch on the P140 was indeed great, but it lacked good electric pianos. Also the MP8 was a total Mercedes of stage pianos: Insanely good, but way over my budget. That's why I ended up with the RD-300sx. I got a good second-hand deal on one.
Old 13.02.2009, 01:50 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Juho:

I agree about the Kawai MP8-II. It is a monster (I have one of it's predecessor's, the MP9000) and nothing on the market comes close to its sound and feel, (not even the venerable RD700GX). Period.

The other problem is at 73lbs (nearly 100lbs in a case), its just a beast to move around. That's why mine stays in my studio.

I think you'll like the RD-300SX, especially if you bought it at the right price. I looked at it too, but for the difference in price new (and I prefer a heavier action), I went for the Yamaha CP33 (and I'm a yammy piano guy anyhow) and it's been awesome for my live straight ahead jazz combo gigs.

Congrats on the new ax.
Keyboards: Yamaha C7 Grand Piano, 1957 Hammond B3, Hammond XK3, Kawai MP9000 Stage Piano, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk1, Yamaha CP33 Stage Piano, Yamaha Motif ES, Nord Electro 2 Sixty One, Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Access Virus Ti Kbd, Korg MS10.

Studio Gear: iMac G5, Protools 7.4, Logic 8, Reason 4, Live 7, Digidesign 002R, Digidesign C24 Control Surface, Mackie 824HR's, Dynaudio MB 6a's, Presonus Eureka, Universal Audio LA-610 Signature, Neumann TLM -103 (pair), Groove Tubes GT-66, et al
Old 13.02.2009, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisenhower View Post
The other problem is at 73lbs (nearly 100lbs in a case), its just a beast to move around. That's why mine stays in my studio.
That's on of the reasons why I picked the RD-300SX. Afterall I'll have to travel with the keyboard in a train, so the less is better.

Quote:
I think you'll like the RD-300SX, especially if you bought it at the right price. I looked at it too, but for the difference in price new (and I prefer a heavier action), I went for the Yamaha CP33 (and I'm a yammy piano guy anyhow) and it's been awesome for my live straight ahead jazz combo gigs.
I think I won't be dissapointed with the RD. It has generally good sounds and I have always liked the Roland sound. Some people say they sound over processed, but that's not aproblem as long as it sounds good, right? Hehe.

Quote:
Congrats on the new ax.
Thank you. It's a pain to wait for it. So while waiting for it I ordered a new mic, Audio Technica AT2020, and good headphones. It's solo career & YouTube crap time. Yay!