Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 13.11.2014, 03:36 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

The Fact YOU had to make that promise previously proves something doesn't it. I haven't been offensive to you or made any sly digs. I have made all valid points towards the discussion but it appears your only willing to hear the words you want to hear anything else isn't allowed to be in the discussion or an opinion.

My VINYL ADDICTION saved me from drugs so to that comment, NO. I even quit smoking to buy more records. At the raves i needed a straight head as it was usually my equipment.

As for this Calvin Harris you had never heard off he made $66 million in a year. FWM tour beat him by only 1 million grossing $67 million but that spreads out over a lot more people. See i'm willing to bring more than OPINION to the debate. Will he be earning that much in ten years time, I doubt but we just don't know yet.

I will consider myself ignored, which for you is a shame as i'm probably the only person here who would take the debate with you to an actual level of substance. Although it might get heated at times!!! My inner circle of friends know this quite well and we love it!
Old 14.11.2014, 03:50 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
So, how can anyone compare these modern artists with someone like Buckingham who not only directly contributed to the "engineering" aspect of Fleetwood Mac's success, but also played and wrote many of the tunes? How many of these producers that you feel are solely responsible for "good" sound can just walk out on a stage with a guitar and do this?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdd_fv0xrSo
Ok, sort of on-topic, I watched this video about 4 times after I posted that (which was the first time I had searched for it in years). One of the things that makes Lindsey Buckingham great was that his playing style was so recognizable, that even if he was playing a song you had never heard before, you would probably recognize the sound and say "that sounds like Buckingham", yet simultaneously no two tracks ever sounded too similar (as they often do from today's popular stars). In terms of his playing style, since he almost never used a guitar pick and played with his bare fingers, it seems you need to have the exact same fingerprints hitting the strings of a guitar that was tuned with the exact same wrists to truly achieve or imitate the Buckingham sound.

There are certain musical elements that are just not reproducible by an imposter, and his playing style is one of them. That is the pinnacle of what an artist should be -- original and creative.

Electronic dance music and modern pop will probably never be able compare to this, because given a certain combination of MIDI, samples (if we allow that cheat factor in at all), and synth parameters, technically anything electronic is reproducible. I'm as much a synth head as anyone reading this, but I know when to pay respect to the masters versus identifying those with delusions of grandeur. I never intended this thread to be about Fleetwood Mac, and maybe I will morph it into discussions of other bands as needed over time, but when I watch the talent of people like Buckingham, I'm just fucking humbled.

If you've never seen him describe some of the mixing and audio engineering techniques he used on some of the old Fleetwood Mac LPs, it is an amazing journey into the history of audio production, and somewhat staggering/ humbling to gain insight into the level of talent it takes to achieve record sales that keep on going 30 or 40 years later, even when those came after struggle to sell a single crappy MP3 on iTunes or whatever.

It's amazing that after all these decades, Fleetwood Mac's record sales still stay on the charts. There's a reason for that. Do you really think anyone will be talking about Katy Perry or Justin Bieber in 30 years, much less remember who they are, or buying their recordings?

What's worse, do you think the current generation of musical noobs even cares that anyone would recognize their work in 30 years? Many of them will change their own music genre as fast as many change underwear in order to sell records, stay in the limelight, and be able to continue to feed their addiction for attention. That's why they are there, they want attention, to be loved by the public (and if they can't be loved, they will take negative attention as a supplement). Longevity is not even a thought in their mind, they care about right now and today.

Screw actual musicianship, it's not needed with computers right? Screw using your brain when you can Google something and look it up later. Screw learning something from someone more knowledgeable on a topic when you can just be a douche and argue it because you're bored and need some sport in your life. Why bother?
Old 14.11.2014, 04:15 AM

Some fun homework: working from the following list, take note of the ones that are multiple-decades old, yet still on the list. Also take note of the noobs. Make a mental bet with yourself regarding which parts of that list will look very different 10 or 20 years from now, versus which artists will still be on it. Compare notes with yourself 20 years from now.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/li...-the-rich-list

Just a side note, I'd probably rather do prison time than listen to Justin Timberlake's music, but I am fully aware of the difference between personal musical preference and talent recognition. The guy is actually massively talented. I watched him on Saturday Night Live, and realized he has a very broad skillset that is spread across "pop music", dancing-boy-band-stuff, but more importantly to me he is reasonably good at comedic acting. Do not misunderstand me for a minute I respect the guy. He is very good at what he does. But what he does is spread so thinly across so many different media types that to compare him to some of the musical artists I've named in this thread is an absolute fucking joke. I think he is a smart enough guy that he would probably agree with me. He is not trying to be the next Tom Petty, he is trying to keep his cheese-mug in the limelight as long as can. Nothing wrong with that. He is making a shitload of money doing it and I do respect that, but a music legend he is not. Obviously he understands this, unlike his fans. That's why he is diversifying and trying to get into acting (or already has I guess).

But the bottom line is that if you're making a few dozen-million and still trying to figure out which skill you're best at, you're probably not one of the greatest musical talents of all time. Maybe overall performer? Social Media Icon? Paparazzi Bait? Perhaps. Not musical talents though.