Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 03.09.2008, 12:00 PM
New here
New here

Default Access Virus Ti multi parts YOUR OPINION & EXPERIMENT ARE WANTED ALL OF U

Hello To everyone
I was reading all and you talk about 16 different lines(parts) but i must say that in fact you can't use all in one time
I explain i never put more than 5 or 6 sound in one time because the Virus can't stand more
After you are loosing some sounds
To precise i'm talking about sounds with 3 voices and some effects if you put all the voices off maybe you can but for my part i'm working every parts so every sound is taking from 3 bars to 5 on the screen
Let me know about yours
See u
Raf
Old 03.09.2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hi,

"three voices", is that with three-voice unison, or a patch with no unison but three notes (a chord) instead? Even if you play a chord on a patch without unison and then change to another chord, it will use 6 voices in total as it will still be calculating the previous chord's release phase, etc.

Polyphony usage can be very wild and very dependent on the patches you use and the way you play them.

However, on the other extreme, if you had 16 x monophonic patches (with none of them using Unison) they would only ever use 16 voices polyphony in total, and thus you should be able to use the full 16 channels of those Virus patches simultaneously.

The Virus should be able to handle way more than 16 voice poly over 16 channels. The above was just an example.
Old 03.09.2008, 01:09 PM
New here
New here

Hello Timo
Thanks for your response
Yes i was talking about 3 voices in the unison 1/2 window
There's some patch that use lot's of memory (not about the notes in a midi line )
I mean when a complex patch is edited it reduce the possibility a lot of using several channels
And as you said when we use a monophonic patch it takes less but the sound is cheeper
Old 03.09.2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

>>And as you said when we use a monophonic patch it takes less but the sound is cheeper

That's been pretty much the same since synths were ever built. The Minimoog has just 1 voice poly! The Jupiter 8 had, of course, 8 voices of poly. The Andromeda has 16. The Virus B has 24, the C has 32, and the TI has "up to 80".

etc.

Even though the TI is digital, it doesn't have limitless DSP.

But you really do have to take into account how you play a patch, and the type of patch you're playing, if you want to calculate how many voices it's using at any time.

A 3-unison patch playing a 3-fingered chord will use 9 voices of poly. Change chords, and it becomes 18 voices of polyphony while it still calculates the release phase of the previous chord. And if you're using a third oscillator in the patch, this can eat an extra 8 voices of poly, so you'd be looking at 17 and 26 voices respectively for the above example. It soon adds up, and that's just one patch.

The TI has a rough quota of "up to" 80 voices, but this is highly dependent too.

If you have lots of patches playing at the same time in the mix, you might not be able to notice if you decreased the unison of some of them, but it would give you a few notes of extra poly to play with elsewhere.

If you want to use several absolutely massive unison or very complex patches, then it's probably best to play them solo and record the track down as audio, allowing you to completely free up the Virus for other parts. Too many "massive" patches playing at the same time make everything sound muddy anyway, it's best to use them sparingly. What sounds big and fat in isolation may just sound muddy in the mix when mixed with lots of other big and fat patches. Those "cheaper" patches come into their own when mixing.

Try and work to get a fatter sound from fewer oscillators (by programming, using the modulation matrix, using midi CCs, etc.), than throwing more and more oscillators into the fire. The Minimoog had just 1 voice, but that one voice certainly wasn't cheap.

Last edited by Timo : 03.09.2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03.09.2008, 04:49 PM
New here
New here

Hey Timo
What a good response thanks for that
I must say that i'm working with Ti since he comes out and every track i produced on the market are done with it
But those advices are wellcome & thanks for that
I'm made about this synth and i forget sometimes that like every others synth he have a limit
When i use my nord lead 3 or microkorg it's sure that i can't go throught the possibility because you can simply not hahahah
And i do the thing you said edit one channel at a time (i do it when i edit every channel out )in audio and work with it after but sometime i have several channel playing at one time and i use to edit when the track is done because until the end i don't know how i use the automation and effects
But i will use your advice about one big sound and some more simple
See u
Raf
Old 04.09.2008, 12:04 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Please post a link to a tune. I'd like to hear some tunes that can kill TI polyphony with 3 channels...
Old 15.10.2008, 08:56 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Also pay attention on how TI's 2 DSP's working...

They work in odds and evens...

That means DSP 1 takes channels 1,3,5,7 etc.
while DSP 2 - '' - 2,4,6,8 etc.

So for good balance if you put a complex patch let's say on CH1
put another complex patch on CH2 and on CH3 put a light one...

Cheers!