Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 02.06.2009, 10:27 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default Aftertouch problem v3.0.3.00?

So I encountered a problem yesterday after I installed v3.0.3.00 on to my Virus, just wondering if anyone else can confirm this issue before I go assuming it's the update's fault.

I'm using Win XP, Cubase Studio 5, and VC v3.0.3.00 w/ my virus ti snow.

For some reason it is no longer receiving aftertouch from my midi controller (i set chan pressure in the matrix to affect a high pass filter in the particular patch i need the sweep effect for).

What's weird though is that I can automate aftertouch with any given midi file in Cubase, playback, and channel pressure works just fine with the virus. So it's not Cubase that's to blame.

Naturally my first inclination after restarting Cubase a few times and reloading VC was to try and see if my midi controller's kb crapped out, so I swapped out the controller w/ another one; same problem. Swapped USB cables; same problem. Aftertouch is set to on. So it's probably not my MIDI controller (Xboard25) that's the problem.

I've tried testing the chan pressure modulation on other patches in the virus, they all don't react anymore. So it's not a bad/corrupted patch in the Virus.

Finally, I tried removing VC from the equation entirely, and just directly connecting the midi out of my kb controller to the snow's midi in. Again, aftertouch still isn't doing anything. Definitely not Cubase.

Can anybody else just test a Virus TI patch w/ chan pressure set to modulate something in the matrix (using the newest OS of course) and see if it works?
Old 03.06.2009, 08:38 PM
Very mucho Newbie

can anybody else confirm or deny this problem? I'll just mention it to Access otherwise, but please give it a shot and drop a line in this thread.
Old 04.06.2009, 12:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I couldn't reproduce this problem on my Snow v3.0.3.00. It responds to aftertouch as normal, both with existing presets and with newly assigned Channel Pressure routings in the Snow's matrix.
Old 04.06.2009, 12:51 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland View Post
I couldn't reproduce this problem on my Snow v3.0.3.00. It responds to aftertouch as normal, both with existing presets and with newly assigned Channel Pressure routings in the Snow's matrix.
thanks for giving it a shot!

now i have absolutely no idea where this issue is coming from. different cables, different midi controllers, same issue. wtf?!

*********UPDATE****************

OK... So I borrowed a Novation SL25 from a friend, and the aftertouch works w/ it.

Based on the fact that I've used two DIFFERENT E-mu controllers, and the fact that aftertouch DID work prior to updating to the new OS, my best guess at this point is that there is a compatibility issue between E-mu controllers and the new OS.

Now on to figure out how the heck to fix this without having to get a new controller. Hopefully it's something I can fix on my own. :/

One more thing: If anybody here owns an Emu Xboard midi controller, please try and test out aftertouch w/ the snow and see if you encounter the same issue.

Last edited by ctrlshft : 04.06.2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04.06.2009, 07:21 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Perhaps you should use some midi signal monitor - like this http://www.midiplugins.com/plugin/?id=161 for example - to examine what midi messages are sent from your keyboard and resent via virus midi through
Old 06.06.2009, 06:37 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvti View Post
Perhaps you should use some midi signal monitor - like this http://www.midiplugins.com/plugin/?id=161 for example - to examine what midi messages are sent from your keyboard and resent via virus midi through
good idea, i'll give it a shot, thanks!