Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 19.02.2006, 10:57 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Default Total Integration?

Hello

I'm writing to share my impressions regarding my newly bought TI - the "total integration" aspect.

My motivation was to get a tool which could be used both as a soft and a hard synth, for the same projects
1 at home with cubase,
2 to exchange ideas and project sketches with friend using other soft hosts, like Live or Acid
3 and possibly onstage, using hardware sequencers, like Roland MV-8000 or Discovery5.

My assumption (not so uncommon - if you refer to some posts at this forum) was that midi files would convey all the necessary data, like:
sound info (Sysex - a quick and relatively comfortable way to "preprogram" somebody else's TI no matter their bank patch settings)
controllers (CC)
and (of course) notes

A .mid file containing ALL THE THREE would do the job.

But to create one it appears to be currently impossible.

The most apparent obstacle is that as a VSTi TI does not send or receive Sysex dumps. Thus, a VST based project having its own patch settings seems to be hermetically closed in itself as far as the sounds are concerned.

A possible workaround, quite a complicated one, is to save patches in RAM memory and later load them (also in non-VST mode, to dump), but it's easy to predict that the more projects the trickier will it be to handle those patches so that one does not get confused nor overwrite the needed sounds.

A simple I guess solution is to implement Sysex transmission in VST mode. When unneeded sysex can well be filtered out by hosts like cubase, so potential conflicts are avoidable.

Through midi files hardware sequencer users could then exchange their ideas with people overseas who use software hosts and vice versa.

In my opinion this option would make the slogan Total Integration a true feature description.

Without it I'm afraid TI would rather deserve a name HV - Hard VSTI.

If I'm wrong or misinformed, please let me know.
Old 20.02.2006, 12:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Try pressing Store when you are in VC mode, and choosing Multi Edit Buffers as the Destination.

Press Store again.

Exit VC.

Go to Config - Transmit MIDI Dump, set Type=Arrangement.

Start recording in your host and press Store.

Export as .mid.

(Be aware that you may need to manually reset the different Parts' output settings to Out1L+R, as they tend to be set to usb outs when you do this - it's probably best to do this before you do the MIDI Dump)
Old 20.02.2006, 05:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Add to that, you could also save an .fxp file for the VC. This is all the sounds plus the routings.
Old 20.02.2006, 09:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs
Add to that, you could also save an .fxp file for the VC. This is all the sounds plus the routings.
True, but not all hosts will read those.
Old 20.02.2006, 08:50 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Thanx a lot for the replies.

grs
yes, but this can be written or read only in vst mode, so I can think of a simpler way - TI's internal browser.

ben crosland
this is the workaround I have been looking for.

Greetings

Tomek
Old 21.02.2006, 03:43 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

It does work fine. So it is possible to transmit from VC to non-VC.

What about the opposite direction?

BTW. Virus kills. I have compared it with some of the most complex VSTi and the difference really is there.

I checked pads.