Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.03.2005, 07:41 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Oops never mind, I see you answered that
Old 21.03.2005, 07:48 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot
Once a salesman, always a salesman! J/K with ya Ben.
Yep - just can't help myself..
Old 21.03.2005, 08:24 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Nice one. Does the EQ module in the Virus C and TI come before or after the filters?

I always assumed that the EQ was for shaping an overall patch to go into a multi-channel mix (song), rather than tonally effecting an oscillator before it goes on to be processed further.
Old 21.03.2005, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Interesting.

Just a thought....

Does the VCF of a synth affect the oscillator waveform, even if it's left wide open?

....Like, on the Virus C, does a Saw with the Moog filter (low pass, but wide open) look any different to a Saw using the standard Virus filter (wide open), after it's been routed through the VCF?

Otherwise, if it's not the VCF, but an overall general "EQ" that's imprinted on the sound (via the inherent design of the circuitry, as a whole), how come there aren't Juno (or Pulse, Jupiter, TB, etc.) EQ plugins or the like (for VST, or similar), which sample that inherent EQ, so you can apply it to channels as an effect? ..

...Similarly like Steinberg's "FreeFilter" plugin, but with Juno, JP, etc., EQ-presets.

I can remember hearing a Juno's basic saw wave, and it sounded really, really thick and meaty, especially when doubled and detuned. The Virus' saw(s) were played next to it (along with other synths - it was a 'blind' test) and it sounded like a bumble bee in comparison ('analogue boost' notwithstanding). I was shocked!
All the square waves sounded really different, too. The Jupiter8's square sounded downright evil.
Old 21.03.2005, 09:38 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo

Does the VCF of a synth affect the oscillator waveform, even if it's left wide open?

....Like, on the Virus C, does a Saw with the Moog filter (low pass, but wide open) look any different to a Saw using the standard Virus filter (wide open), after it's been routed through the VCF?
Yes - because the Moog filter has embedded saturation. The difference is particularly noticeable with the Sine wave. From what I can tell, the standard filters do not affect the signal when fully open, so long as there is no saturation curve applied.

Quote:
I can remember hearing a Juno's basic saw wave, and it sounded really, really thick and meaty, especially when doubled and detuned.
The question is - is it possible to hear just the basic saw wave in an analog machine? I would suggest not, unless there is a bypass button for all the subsequent sections, all of which will add colouration to that basic wave..

Quote:
how come there aren't Juno (or Pulse, Jupiter, TB etc.) EQ plugins or the like..
Dunno. It's probably a lot more complicated and subtle than I have suggested, for one thing. Plus I guess people generally want the filter rather than just an eq - and with that there's the possibility that they already do build eq into those filter models..

I can't say that any of my comments on this topic can be held up as 100% fact, btw..
Old 21.03.2005, 09:40 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
Nice one. Does the EQ module in the Virus C and TI come before or after the filters?
After - it's in the effects section.
Old 21.03.2005, 10:19 PM

Ben,
Holy fuck mate. Did you learn all this through trial/error and ears? Or did you take some lectrical engineering courses?
Old 21.03.2005, 10:38 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot
Ben,
Holy fuck mate. Did you learn all this through trial/error and ears? Or did you take some lectrical engineering courses?
The Virus I know about pretty well by now - I've been working with it obsessively for the last 5 yrs or so. The rest is based on hearsay and speculation. Anyone who has had even a passing interest in decent hi-fi systems knows about colouration though - it's an inevitable consequence of any electrical circuit.
Old 22.03.2005, 12:23 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

ben get back to subject
& what do u think about the Virus TI to make sum hip hop tune ? la Dr Dre or other top notch producer.
thx
Old 22.03.2005, 12:28 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj2001
ben get back to subject
& what do u think about the Virus TI to make sum hip hop tune ? la Dr Dre or other top notch producer.
thx
I think it will serve you more than adequately - I've just been making some very phat basses on mine

You do know that Dre has a Virus, don't you? It is also the defacto synth for 'Dub Step', I am told.