Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.03.2005, 12:22 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Default Virus Ti anygood to make hip hop joint ??

Just wanna known if the Virus has been used by well known hip hop beatmaker, since it's labelled as a trance synthetizer.

To create westcoast lead (whinnin') ? la Dr Dre or some Neptunish/ Timbaland sounds.

Cos i hesitate with a Nord Lead (editing is faster but no FX, only 4 multi)
TI got mo' spec' & a better interaction with VST.

THhx for ya help.
Old 21.03.2005, 12:42 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Re: Virus Ti anygood to make hip hop joint ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj2001
To create westcoast lead (whinnin') ? la Dr Dre or some Neptunish/ Timbaland sounds.
Virus can be used ofr whatever genre you want. But if you want to sound like neptunes, dre, etc. . . . go with a moog voyager.
Old 21.03.2005, 01:09 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

thx i got a studio electronic SE1X.
I'm lookin' for a good VA synth.

the TI is a powerful studio gear to make pads, synth lead & all, + the ARP is dope. Programmin' ya own patch is the goal.

But i don't know if it's better to take a nord lead (faster programming) & get another synth for the price of the TI.

I heard the virus OSC are weak compared to CLavia & the FX are a big part of the Virus sound.

So i'm stuck
+ the waiting is too loooong
Old 21.03.2005, 03:50 AM

I'd say the Virus could do pretty much what you're after. I don't make trance at all (far, far from it infact) and the Virus fits quite well.

The OSCs are on the weaker side when comparing to some other gear around, but unison with no detune or pan spread helps in that arena.

Voices don't last long if I wanna program sounds on my VC to match the power of sounds on the nord though.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 21.03.2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
The OSCs are on the weaker side when comparing to some other gear around, but unison with no detune or pan spread helps in that arena.
Yeah, why is that? When doing 'blind tests' by listening to dry oscillators from several sources (including, especially, the Juno, Pulse, Jupiter and others, as well as the Virus), the Virus always seems so, so very dreadfully thin in these comparisons, even when they've all been programmed similarly. Why don't Access address that?

The "stock" Virus sound can be improved, imho, much more than just sticking a hypersaw model in there, etc....

Maybe Access have made a rod for their own back by having to adhere to the samey samey character of previous Virus', with each succession...? I don't know, but it needs addressing.

Apologies for sticking my neck out.
Old 21.03.2005, 02:06 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Yeah, why is that? When doing 'blind tests' by listening to dry oscillators from several sources (including, especially, the Juno, Pulse, Jupiter and others, as well as the Virus), the Virus always seems so, so very dreadfully thin in these comparisons, even when they've all been programmed similarly. Why don't Access address that?
Because you are not listening to as dry a signal as you think you are. Most synths have an eq curve applied to them internally which is impossible to bypass. Roland's are bassey and toppy. Waldorf Q's are just toppy. So, in actual fact, Access have addressed this by giving the Virus an EQ as well the Analog Boost effect - however, the purist attitude which seems to be so pervasive in the synth community seems to forbid their use when judging a synthesizer.
Old 21.03.2005, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Hiya Ben, is it solely the inherent EQ differences, or is there more to it going on than that?

I was thinking more along the lines of different oscillator waveform representations and implementations?
Old 21.03.2005, 07:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
Hiya Ben, is it solely the inherent EQ differences, or is there more to it going on than that?

I was thinking more along the lines of different oscillator waveform representations and implementations?
Well, put it like this - if an oscillator module within a VA engine has some eq built into it, then you're going to see a different waveform from one that doesn't. But if you have eq applied later in the signal, you're still going to see a different waveform from one that doesn't, so long as it can't be bypassed.

The Virus implementation is such that all the eq'ing is transparent to the user, and also controllable. I like this approach, personally - it's one of the factors which adds to the incredible versatility of this synth.
Old 21.03.2005, 07:39 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
The Virus implementation is such that all the eq'ing is transparent to the user, and also controllable. I like this approach, personally - it's one of the factors which adds to the incredible versatility of this synth.
Hey Ben, that's very interesting -- so do you know if the EQ being applied to other synths is on the oscillator itself, i.e. prefiltering and modulation, or at the end of the signal path? And what about the virus? I always assumed the EQ was just one of the effects at the end of the path, but maybe that's not true.
Old 21.03.2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
I like this approach, personally - it's one of the factors which adds to the incredible versatility of this synth.
Once a salesman, always a salesman! J/K with ya Ben.