Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 02.10.2006, 08:14 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Need help building new machine

Hi

Drummer mate of mine wants to build a new computer so he can use his Vdrums to trigger DfH:

http://www.toontrack.com/superior.shtml

I haven't built a computer for 4 years and I'm out of touch.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to what's his cheapest serious solution. 2 audio in outs, midi in out and phones out is about it. Maybe interested in 2nd hand if anyone's selling.

Thanks

matt
Old 03.10.2006, 12:26 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Matt, I would seriously look around for a good, used gaming PC or something before building one from scratch.

Maybe I'm lazy but it only takes screwing something up like frying your motherboard once and you have eaten up most of the money you would save by boing it yourself.

I have added drives to machines, PCI cards, regular stuff and never bothered to build a machine from the ground up. Researching the compatibility of the devices just seems like a pain in the arse.

If you know what you are doing at the technical level AND can locate a sound configuration easily that is within your budget (plus locate all the damn parts) then go for it.

Otherwise look around...

Just my (lazy) .02.

P.S. Doc Jones gave me some really good advice on a machine that I was looking at a few months ago, send him a PM and see if he has a canned config. you can use.
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 03.10.2006, 05:33 AM
Pro
Pro

Hi Alex

Yeah. I was thinking about 2nd hand gaming thing too. But he still needs a decent audio/midi interface. Guess that's the tip I'm after.

I built my machine entirely around an RME Multiface, but that's a bit out of his (wife's) price range.

(Susan Rayner, age 10)
Old 03.10.2006, 07:00 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Hey matsa,

I have just bought an RME Fireface 800 and therefore have no more need for my RME HDSP 9632 (with additional 4 stereo input expansion board (AEB-8I)).

You're mate is more than welcome to make me an offer for it/them...

PM me if he's interested in either the soundcard or the expansion board (both are in excellent condition and have the latest beta drivers & firmaware on (0.75 ms latency!)

Drammy
Old 03.10.2006, 06:12 PM
Pro
Pro

Will do mate. Giz a day and I'll check out the spec.

Just out of interest, why did you go for the 800? You running so much midi outboard? You got a spec list and pics of your den anywhere mate? Love to see.

(Susan Rayner, age 10)
Old 04.10.2006, 01:24 AM

Just tell him to get a Mac...it will solve all of lifes problems (including erectile dysfunction as they are just too damn sexy!)

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 04.10.2006, 07:51 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

I wanted to stay with RME and also wanted to get rid of the PCI card - my new mobo only has 3 PCI slots (as well as 3 PCI-e) and I was only able to fit 1 UAD-1 and my Powercore.

I NEEDED my other UAD-1 in there so the soundcard replacement had to be USB2 or Firewire. I have a lot of USB stuff on the comp, so I decided Firewire.

As for hardware I haven't got much anymore - I have sold a lot of it. I now only have a Vox Guitar pre-amp, Dave Smiths Evolver, the TI and also a (now unused) Virus C XL.

I like the Total Mix patchbay capabilities and using it I am able to quickly alter what is going through the TI filters or the Vox preamp etc or the Evolver distortion...

The Fireface 400 wouldn't do all this and the 800 was not much more in comparison to the 400.

Listen to me, I sound like I am trying to justify it to the missus

I'll try and sort out some pics for you at some point, although at the moment I am real hesitant as the place is an absolute shit-heap!
Old 04.10.2006, 06:19 PM
Pro
Pro

Jase. I actually did tell him to get a Mac. I wish I could afford one mate.

(Susan Rayner, age 10)