Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 03.02.2004, 01:53 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Default If god was a machine, he would absolutely be a midiinterface

Not really sure about wich topic this should be posted in, but whatever.

See, yesterday I bought a new midi interface (4X4 midiman) and voila!!! All my problems seemes to be gone. For the first time Sound diver recognize my Virus by it's own, it never has before... Second, no problems with frustrating notes that "hang" or other ones that sometimes doesn't sound at all. A lot of the problems with midi seemes to get solved by just setting the system up properly...
Old 03.02.2004, 02:13 PM
Amateur
Amateur

I had problems for months setting mine up but like yuo say once you have got it all set up properly your away!!

Though I have a midiman 4 X 4 I still dont know weather its my interface or just my computer that stuters from time to time!

I say stuter but its not actually stuter I mean just the presicsion of each note sometime when in a long track things start going out!!

Im a fussy bastard I know but I hate getting everything off as audio all the time Id so much prefer keep it midi!

Think I might stick another 512 ram chip in there see if that sorts anything out if not I think im gonna change from my midiman to sumin else!!

Any suggestions anyone??
Old 03.02.2004, 02:17 PM
Amateur
Amateur

I tend to notice it in... say ive pasted a 1/32 riff out trance styleee in an a 3 octave riff and have the cutt off really shut it skips notes and can be very annoying!

Though when i show freinds back my tracks they love it I can still hear it!!

Anyone else came across this problem if not any suggestions on what it could be!

Soundcard perhaps? though midi information dosnt go through there so dont think it could be that could it??
Old 03.02.2004, 02:37 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Also anyone know how reliable the midi interface is like on the yamaha 01x?

Just Ill be purchasing one soon!
Old 03.02.2004, 03:30 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303lovesit
I tend to notice it in... say ive pasted a 1/32 riff out trance styleee in an a 3 octave riff and have the cutt off really shut it skips notes and can be very annoying!

Though when i show freinds back my tracks they love it I can still hear it!!

Anyone else came across this problem if not any suggestions on what it could be!

Soundcard perhaps? though midi information dosnt go through there so dont think it could be that could it??

Is it the highest notes that drop? (Not highest in volume, highest in pitch). Then it's not that strange, because if you have a low pass filter really closed then it will filter the higher notes off...
Also if the notes in your riff are of slightly different velocity, you may not notice this when you play the riff with open filters, but when you close them the difference can become noticeable...

Take a look at some pretty advanced book or other text about basically what a sound is. This knowledge in combination with the knowledge about how filters works, will explain a lot about what you hear and why.
I've also learned alot by using a 3D analysing tool (steinbergs wavelab offers one), and analyzing sounds graphically. With this kind of tool you get a visualization of the sound over time like a mountain in different colors, or something. (A 3D picture actually). If you, lets say, analyze a riff with gradually filtering you'll get some nice pictures on what you hear and especially why.
Old 03.02.2004, 03:35 PM
Amateur
Amateur

No No No....I know the diffrence between filters and velocity I just mean they actually skip notes fo no reason sometimes and was just curious to know why it does that esspecially noticable with 1/32 riffs!!
Old 03.02.2004, 03:36 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks anyways mate
Old 03.02.2004, 04:35 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Alright, I see. Are the notes also programmed to be just 1/32 long? Suppose you use some kind of computer sequencer program...?

If that's the case try to make them a bit longer. But then the sound will change, you may say? Yes, it certainly will, and the trick is then to adjust the amplitude envelope settings of the sounds (in your synth), to get the desired sound back. Very short notes can sometimes disappear, especially if your'e using bigger setups with a lot of synths.
Old 12.02.2004, 06:29 AM
Amateur
Amateur

thanks mate
Old 13.02.2004, 02:26 PM
Veteran
Veteran

BTW this topic probably would fit in computers and making music...

peace
Blank