Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

Old 09.06.2013, 03:55 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Another great band on Letterman :)

Not so much a synth band, but a clip worth watching. I am catching up on recorded Letterman shows on the DVR a bit late, so running a bit late on my announcement

Queens of the Stone Age..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GEFEX4oTlg
Old 09.06.2013, 04:16 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Awesome. Not as crazy as in the past, but still love Josh Homme mixing styles and strange sounds.

They played another time!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_571989&feature=iv&src_vid=3GEFEX4oTlg&v=08SmHntCQ e4

my soundcloud page
Old 09.06.2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post
Awesome. Not as crazy as in the past, but still love Josh Homme mixing styles and strange sounds.

They played another time!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...=08SmHntCQ e4
Yep, they came on the next night.. I just preferred the song from the first night
Old 08.02.2015, 08:32 PM

Letterman's retirement in a few months actually has me a bit bummed, I've been watching him since the early days on NBC. None of the other talk shows ever really got my attention, it was mostly Letterman's humor and wit in impromptu situations that made it worthwhile.

Then there was the bands. Admittedly, most of the time I would wait for the closing act, give them about 30 seconds to catch my interest, then delete the remainder of the show off the DVR if they weren't cutting it (or at least fast forward to Dave's closing comment), but every now and then the show had some great acts.

Then there were the weird acts, worth watching for the sheer novelty like these:

Future Islands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c#t=197

Die Antwoord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1LxhugiJI

....So, for any Letterman fans out there who will miss the show, have you decided what you will watch instead after he is gone? I can't watch any of the other talk show hosts out there for very long, they're mostly horrible. Kimmel was great when he was on The Man Show with Adam Corolla, but his talk show just isn't the same. There will never be another Letterman. Last of the mohicans...
Old 13.02.2015, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Liked Future Islands. Heard Seasons a few days ago and oddly made for compelling viewing/listening.

Over here in the UK we have 'Later with Jools Holland' which is a sort of late night alternative platform for establishing artists as well as top names. It is more of a music show than a talk show like Letterman, though.

Quite liked Letterman's style with the guests. He even interviewed David Cameron and Boris Johnson (possible future PM, I kid you not).

Talking of NBC, stumbled upon Dan Deacon on NBC morning show.

Alternative acts are the best.
Old 13.04.2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Over here in the UK we have 'Later with Jools Holland' which is a sort of late night alternative platform for establishing artists as well as top names. It is more of a music show than a talk show like Letterman, though.
First time I passed over this part of your message, I figured since I'd never heard of Jools, it must not be a viewing option here in the US. Only now did I stop to realize the absurd number of channels I actually get that I never find time to watch, or even realize are there. A quick search in the iPad app for my DVR, and yep there it is. Looks like the kind of thing I was looking for. I've scheduled a few of his shows, the lineups look great based on descriptions.

Dave is great at what he does, and will be missed when he retires in a month. Honestly most of the bands at the end of the show get fast-forwarded through, as most of them don't appeal to me, but I've discovered (or rediscovered) a few gems over the years.

The descriptions I've seen when scheduling the Jools Holland shows for record look very promising. Thanks for the tip. At least I'll have a music show to watch. Most of the talk show hosts I've seen do not inspire me to watch... Kimmel was great on the Man Show with Corolla, but as a host behind the desk? Can't make myself keep watching. Similarly Fallon was great on SNL but the desk is not his gig. Colbert (Dave's replacement) has been playing a character all these years and is a genius at it, but suddenly he's going to do a talk-show as himself? Someone will have to let me know how that goes.
Old 14.04.2015, 12:37 AM

There's a list of some of the musical acts for Dave's last few shows on this list.

http://time.com/3820331/david-letter...e-show-guests/