Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 27.12.2013, 09:25 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Request

Hello everyone...
I'd like to request You'll to talk about FM synthesis....
Anything at all about it...maybe examples of tracks You'll have made using FM sounds etc...Maybe some cool techniques or ways to modulate parameters to create cool FM sounds..
I like to make Fm sounds for Psytrance...But overall I'm very fascinated by Fm in general... I'd love to know as much about it as I can..
Please do share..

Thanks
Old 31.12.2013, 02:37 PM
Veteran
Veteran

razor sharp sounds fan, uh?

the basic idea behind it is that you're modulating pitch with a fast frequency within the audible range - from 20Hz to 20Khz.

basic patch is setting two oscillators (carrier and modulator) a few octaves appart then turn the FM amount Knob. so there's three parameters already: FM amount, the pitch of the carrier and the modulator. you can play with these to get more out of this world, unpredictable FM sounds.

Yamaha's DX7 kind of FM was mainly about sine waves modulating each other at audio range rates, then the volume envelopes of this various waveforms would play a big part. Then even Yamaha extended their range of selectable waves in their following FM offsprings, all of those waves are present in Native Instrument's FM8 that is a total beast, except maybe for it's filter section that I always feel could be - severely - improved.

The other thing to keep when thinking about DX7 kind of sounds is the blueprint of the modulations, called algorythms, like: what's modulating what kind of maps. this opens up a more complex way of approaching FM synthesis, along with the feedback thing, where one signal is modulating itself. FM8 sort of compensates the bad filters with exceptional (kind like the best in business) envelopes, multi-staged, syncable to tempo if you wish to, adjustable curves, zoomable, so forth and so on...

but all of this covers only a select range of FM sounds.

Then there's the new take on it. Like the Virus. The positive (phase) triangle mode sounds quite sharp and unique. Also, the Nord Lead's FM has a very distinct tone to it! Zebra's got very nice sounding FM tones to! Ok, but the point is: besides the more common FM between two or more oscillators (Albino also comes to mind) followed by a more conventional filter section, and absolutely no volume envelope modulation going on at all, except maybe for amp's envelope (??) kind of thing, there's a couple of things to consider. Modulating the pitch frequency of both oscillators or just one, modulating the phase init (phase distortion) parameter (where available of course) and use this signal to modulate another, or vice-versa, or both. using noise as a carrier. using filtered wacky noise as a modulator? using just a sample?

ok, then you think uh... let's see... what if I have LFO's that can go all the way to 20Khz? like you'll find on Ace or Bazzile. what if you couple that with lag generators and then use this signal to modulate the frequency of an oscillator? now that's kindzadza's territory (sure that rings a bell) eheh...

yeah, then you get some real modules like the DPO and you go nutz! so watch out!

EDIT

uh, there's filter Fm to... but, everything applies to it to, so...