Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 08.02.2013, 11:11 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Anybody here Producing Tech House or Minimal ??

I'd love to know more about these styles...Thanks
Old 14.03.2013, 06:50 AM
Pro
Pro

Anybody.....No ??
Old 03.02.2014, 03:16 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrinoland View Post
Anybody.....No ??
I am trying to but all of the presets are very trancey. I am using Access Virus Ti2. No house or techno keys that I can find. I am not much of a sound designer so beginning to wonder if Access Virus was the right choice for this style.
Old 04.02.2014, 04:32 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrinoland View Post
I'd love to know more about these styles...Thanks
There's not much to figure out...tech house is house music without any soul or character & minimal is the most basic shit that is still classed as music. If you can program a simple 4/4 pattern you can make either, there's really not much more to it
Old 05.02.2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran

if you search the web for tuturials on specific genre sounds, they'll be presented using some instrument, chances are in 80% of the cases you'll be able to translate that know how into your Virus - since most subtractive synthesizers share a similar structure, it doesn't matter much which one you're using. Virus is a very capable machine and sounds very good, suited to all the genres I can think of, factory presets are just based on the public they think they have, it's a marketing decision more then anything, really.

it's best to ask about specific sounds, with examples, so as to get some good guide lines about the basics of such sounds. plus, programming a synthesizer isn't a daunting task, nor is it something that requires you to learn thousands of strange, difficult to grasp concepts, it's a matter of looking at the different things one at a time, like oscillators, envelopes, filters, lfos, so forth and so on, and experimenting with this things, starting with a blank patch. one important thing is: at first don't obsess about getting a specific sound, that comes with time, once you're used to connect some settings to qualities of sound.

so yeah, do as Berni says: search around for patches that get near what you're looking for and analyze those, really look into them, see what's going on, and then try to build some from scratch based on that know how. the Howard Scarr manual, on their website, provides a good journey into such matters: how you can approach and analyze patches, things to experiment to get to know the machine a little better, some careful laid out explanation of the main features and techniques to, and is quite an enjoyable read to, not nearly as boring as a manual. a combination of this things will get you up to speed in no time, and you'll find yourself feeling much more empowered and inspired and loving your new machine much more to. the more you put into it...
Old 06.02.2014, 04:32 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
There's not much to figure out...tech house is house music without any soul or character & minimal is the most basic shit that is still classed as music. If you can program a simple 4/4 pattern you can make either, there's really not much more to it
Hehe.... Berni you've got "industry goggles" on when you start thinking that 4/4 no longer works... although I can understand it if you're involved in music as a profession, I do the same thing with software development. Some concepts that are insanely repetitive to a developer will recur constantly and make you crazy and full of disdain if you let it get that bad.... i.e. "If I run into one more cunt that doesn't understand the Euclidian disparity between a simple O(N log N) and O(n^2), I'm going to put my boot on their throat and hold it until their squawking appeases my disagreement"

Seriously though, I still listen to a lot of old school trance, and while the beats are simple, some of it can be incredibly beautiful if listened to on a system that does the original mix justice. Admittedly a beautiful female voice can add a lot.

When I was young I used to make fun of 70's disco. Now I make fun of those who try to emulate it, and fail simply because they can't put their mind where it needs to be to do it right.
Old 06.02.2014, 02:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Well, blaming the 4 on 4 time signature, is liking blaming grammar for bad writing.

And there's tons more to it! like syncopation and swing for example.
Old 06.02.2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, and Dubstep is just a bunch of non sense noises with distortion, right?

Hell no! If you take Skrillex for example, he gets all the hate, but he's like 20 times the producer the haters will ever be - and I don't even enjoy his music, but production wise... Different story.

Same with any other genre. Pick Minologue, for example, it's the most basic shit, uh? Just go ahead and try! Genre talk, usually, is what bullshit looks like on a forum like this, imo.
Old 07.02.2014, 01:23 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
20 times the producer the haters will ever be. Genre talk, usually, is what bullshit looks like on a forum like this, imo.
Yep.. QFT.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 08.02.2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Well, blaming the 4 on 4 time signature, is liking blaming grammar for bad writing.

And there's tons more to it! like syncopation and swing for example.
yep, true.... depends on what "it" is, but one thing for sure, there is definitely, and usually, more to everything.. hehe.

I mostly said what I did about four on the floor with regard to EDM. That's just because lounge music for sitting back and chilling with friends and club music for getting on the dance floor and burning through energy are two entirely different things, and most clubs I'm aware of that aren't a hole in the wall and drive large crowds would have trouble surviving if they introduce "swing" into the beat. Most people don't want to be out there doing the irish foot shuffle leprechaun dance

But it doesn't mean I want an intense throbbing dance beat all the time. Honestly sometimes what I listen to on a weekend night during while at a club or even screwing is not necessarily the same thing I want to listen to Monday morning on the way to a meeting at a client site. Things sound different with alcohol. If I went down a list of the bands that are in my own opinion and mind the greatest in the history of music, only a couple of synth bands would even make it into the top ten, and none of them are really what anyone would call EDM.

As far as Skrillex, I admire anyone that is truly good at what they do, even if I don't like what they do. My problem with dubstep is that it is a genre born from pasting clips together like in Live, which comes across sounding more like a random paste-fest of sound bytes than it does a musical composition. Sonny is kind of snarky little geekturd that can't even read sheet music, but I respect his ability to draw a crowd. Nobody will know who he is 15 years from now, but that's true of all these little Justin Beebers wet behind the ears artists. The true talent got sucked out of music the moment it became freely available online via the interwebs, and there's not much new to see. Its just the reality of the situation these days.