Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

Old 04.01.2015, 04:50 AM
This forum member lives here

Default The Church

The Church can't even be classified as a synth band (only moderate keyboard use, as you'll see if you look for the Juno G here), but they were one of my absolute favorite bands from the 80s, and the Starfish album is in my top favorite LPs of all time, and that's saying a lot up against some of the greats.

This live performance isn't going to convert you into a fan of them if you've never heard of them before, but if you ever owned the Starfish album you'll enjoy it. Performing live effectively and memorably is much harder than producing a good studio track, which is why it's not a great link to learn about the band for the first time, but I still felt the need to post since I think there are some folks my age here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KteMx3AWems

These days in my car, I have a little USB stick that plugs in under the armrest and contains most of my canned music. When I browse through it looking for something good (knowing I wont have much time to listen because I don't drive as many hours per day as I used to), there are about ten bands that I continually choose, and that's among about 32 GB of MP3s on a stick. This band is one of the ones I always go back to.
Old 27.01.2015, 03:36 AM
Pro
Pro

Yes! I have been a long time "The Church" fan going back to late 80's. I think they use their synths in a very seamless way in various tracks. One I can think of that was one of their rare huge commercial hits that was more synth-pronounced (and I love it) is the song, "Under The Milky Way".https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA54NBtPKdI Great band! Another one from Au is "Icehouse"...still dig them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTomChof_U
Old 27.01.2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Yes! I have been a long time "The Church" fan going back to late 80's. I think they use their synths in a very seamless way in various tracks. One I can think of that was one of their rare huge commercial hits that was more synth-pronounced (and I love it) is the song, "Under The Milky Way".https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA54NBtPKdI Great band! Another one from Au is "Icehouse"...still dig them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTomChof_U
Starfish (The Church LP with "Under the Milky Way") is in my top 10 (perhaps even top 5) favorite LPs of all time. Every song on it is fantastic even if most of them were never hits.

Icehouse found a much more mainstream audience. I liked the tune No Promises a lot, although some of their tunes (such as "Crazy") were a bit too top-40 sounding for my ears, or maybe they just got overplayed by north American radio at the time.
Old 27.01.2015, 04:31 AM
Pro
Pro

Yes, as with many groups, it's all those gems that do not make any airplay that I find wonderful. The Church has quite the prolific stretch of releases and they never had to depend upon radio as they have a solid following. Definitely a band I would love to have seen in concert.

You made my evening with your post. I came on here after taking a break from forums to see what, if anything, Access may have brought to NAMM, but guess it's the Kemper Profiling stuff still, right?!
(quite enjoying a Moog Sub 37 these days )
Old 27.01.2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Yes, as with many groups, it's all those gems that do not make any airplay that I find wonderful. The Church has quite the prolific stretch of releases and they never had to depend upon radio as they have a solid following. Definitely a band I would love to have seen in concert.

You made my evening with your post. I came on here after taking a break from forums to see what, if anything, Access may have brought to NAMM, but guess it's the Kemper Profiling stuff still, right?!
(quite enjoying a Moog Sub 37 these days )
Looks that way on NAMM.