Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 18.10.2005, 09:32 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutekk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten

2) IIRC the polar is made of even higher quality componants than the keyboard version, but I think the keys will be the same.....they are very nice to use.
which parts a higher quality?
he probalby means the aluminium side panels which indeed are very very important for the keyboard and playing feeling
Old 18.10.2005, 12:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Funny....prick. A post made by someone at Access here while we were waiting for the TI to be released said the reason the polar costs the same as the keyboard was because some of the parts were of higher quality.

I never said its worth as much because of this, infact I think the opposite, but then as I own a keyboard version I couldnt really give a shit either.

ten
Old 18.10.2005, 03:11 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

This is a guess, but I think the keybed isn't as high a quality as the 61-note TI. - Ie, i think the 61-note is semi-weighted, while the polar's is "synth-action", or similar.

I can't understand why the Polar is the same price as the 61-noter.

Sure, the white LEDs are expensive, but so were the blue LEDs of the Indigos, and the Indigos also used aluminium cheeks which are probably equally expensive to anything the Polar uses.

Even so, the Indigo2 used to retail for ?1169.99 (RRP), and the ViruskC around ?1449.99 (RRP).

Now the Polar and TI are both ?1499.99.

Surely the walnut strip doesn't cost upwards of ?300 GBP ($577USD)?
Old 18.10.2005, 03:33 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
Even so, the Indigo2 used to retail for ?1169.99 (RRP), and the ViruskC around ?1449.99 (RRP).
Are you sure? The desktop was ?1049 wasn't it? I can't see the Indy2 being only ?120 more??
Old 18.10.2005, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
Are you sure? The desktop was ?1049 wasn't it? I can't see the Indy2 being only ?120 more??
Hi Ben,

The desktop Virus C was (originally) ?970 RRP. Turnkey (UK distributor) used their discretion and latterly raised it by 80 quid or so when the Virus continued to increase in popularity.

I was slightly wrong in that the RRP of the Indigo2 was ?1199.99, but the full advertised street price was never above ?1169.99. Actually, I think the street price of the Indigo 2 was originally ?1149.99, but again Turnkey latterly raised it to ?1169.99.

However, the street price of the Polar is the full ?1499.99. (?330 difference).

Am not moaning as such - it's still a great synth for the dosh, and worthy of a slight increase in price - just I fail somewhat to see the connection of such a particularly large and asymmetrical jump in price from the Indigo2 to the Polar (as opposed to the kC to the 61-note TI), and now the Polar's identical pricing to its bigger brother (the 61-note TI) when compared with the difference between the former Indigo2 and kC respectively. Or smthg.
Old 18.10.2005, 07:13 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

simple
the polar is cooler...
and these days you can buy coolness!
Old 19.10.2005, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. orange
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten

2) IIRC the polar is made of even higher quality componants than the keyboard version, but I think the keys will be the same.....they are very nice to use.
he probalby means the aluminium side panels which indeed are very very important for the keyboard and playing feeling

Unless you need the polar for lots of live gigging and you need everything to be easily portable/compact, I cant understand people opting for the polar. I think its for the kind of people that like looking at the gear in their studio rather than using it...

cheers

blay
Old 19.10.2005, 04:30 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

blay: Well when space in an issue in the studio and you already own a few keyboards already and you want a compact setup for live gigs..I believe the Polar is great
I don't regret selling my kc!
Old 19.10.2005, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten

Unless you need the polar for lots of live gigging and you need everything to be easily portable/compact, I cant understand people opting for the polar. I think its for the kind of people that like looking at the gear in their studio rather than using it...

cheers

blay
Hi Blay, I have an Indigo, and it's by far the most-used synth in my studio. I opted for the Indigo instead of kB or kC because my main Korg Trinity acts as a main controller for it in the studio (the trinity has XY joystick, XZ ribbon controller, and a better keybed with customisable aftertouch and velocity curves), but I am free to take the Indigo to friends and around the house or garden easily because of its size. Especially so now I have a laptop. A tidy setup for sound programming and playing.
If ever I get a TI (and I'm heartily tempted) it will be a Polar to replace the Indigo, for the same reasons. Not for oggling, but the good looks helps!
Old 19.10.2005, 10:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul
Default Re: TI POLAR vs TI KEYBOARD?

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest to use the TI as a main coltroller since you cannot turn off the sound engine, so the whole thing uses the same amount of power independantl on whether you use it as a controller only or a synth and furthermore the TI elders much faster and gets warm without any reason

hope I could formulate properly what I wanted to tell you, my English's lacking...
Isnt that the whole point of the Remote mode when it finally gets implemented - so that you can use the TI keyboard and a general master controlller independently of the TI synth?

Currently if you try to activate remote mode it just tells you to go check for an update on the Access web site.