Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 22.07.2008, 01:17 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Default Hypersaw

Hi there,

I'm saving up for a hardware synth because I've only ever used software and there are some sounds that they cant do particulary well.

I'm mainly into trance - anything of the quality of Matt Darey's Nocturnal Delights.

I'm still some way off yet but I've narrowed my choices down to a Virus or a V-synth. Has anyone got a sample or a short sequence with hypersaw on twin mode?

Until I've saved the cash I'm building something in NI's Reaktor.

Last edited by kensaundm31 : 22.07.2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: ?
Old 27.07.2008, 02:58 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

OK , here is a WMA file which starts out as a single osc saw wave and goes to 9 detuned supersaws , then osc 2 kicks in with another 9 detuned supersaws , then sub osc comes on , then a bit of noise , then an 8 x unison mode which takes it up to roughly 150ish saw waves at once but with a trade off as I only have about 6 note poly.

http://www.speedyshare.com/267369612.html

hope that helps

[edit] I left a multiband compressor on and didnt realise , also sorry for the overload with the filter towards the end

Last edited by IamEvil : 27.07.2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old 27.07.2008, 09:18 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via AIM to logo80 Send a message via MSN to logo80

do you need some hypersaw demo of the v-synth too?
Regards, Lorenzo
Old 27.07.2008, 11:08 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Don't bother with the V-Synth. Many of the great detuned trance sounds on the Virus chew up voices but have great 'width'. The synth engine of the V-Synth lacks stereo width. There's no way to pan one V-Synth osc left and the other to the right. OK, you don't always want to do that, but there's a narrow mono character in the overall sound.

Also the V-Synth effects quite limited and multi parts are damn near impossible to pull off. I'd call it a V-Disappointment

Cheers,
B
Old 28.07.2008, 09:03 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivePsy View Post
There's no way to pan one V-Synth osc left and the other to the right.
Unless you import just the left and rights as separate stereo files.

Having a heap of dry hypersaw samples would mean you could probably make a pretty huge hypersaw knock off on the V. The only fucked thing would be not being able to have them blend and detune separately - maybe blending between patches would help in some ways.

FX on the V-synth are better in general than my VC, but I use the FX just to make a half decent filter, so many of the traditional FX are not available anyway.... Stupid V-synth filters.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 28.07.2008, 04:06 PM
Pro
Pro

I can't compare the v-synth anithing else than a virus B and they're quite different... but I can assure you that it's all but a disappointment...
obviously it's a different machine but be sure that it's the best sounding gear I own (I'm talking about audio quality, not subjectively about the sounds preset or not, so no aliasing, no hiss or hum... just pure sound), effects are great and a lot more than the virus b and other synth I own... anyway if you use it only to play a kind of sound without taking the time to use sampling, editing and tweaking parameters, the v-synth could sound useless.
regards, Lorenzo
Old 28.07.2008, 10:35 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

logo80, enlighten us all with demo sound files of the V-Synth sounding great in a trance setting (since the oringal poster is after that sound). Or point us in the direction of a website which already has these wonderful sounds.

Cheers,
B
Old 29.07.2008, 04:13 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
logo80, enlighten us all with demo sound files of the V-Synth sounding great in a trance setting (since the oringal poster is after that sound). Or point us in the direction of a website which already has these wonderful sounds.

Cheers,
B
no I don't loose my time in this way, I just quote myself, maybe you didn't read correctly what I wrote....

anyway if you use it only to play a kind of sound without taking the time to use sampling, editing and tweaking parameters, the v-synth could sound useless.
Old 29.07.2008, 10:24 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

OK, the topic has turned into "people who don't like the V-synth are idiots". Quite irrelevant to how suitable a V-Synth is for Trance. So I think my point is proven. If you want trance sounds, get the Virus!

Cheers,
B
Old 29.07.2008, 10:32 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Don't bother with the V-Synth. Many of the great detuned trance sounds on the Virus chew up voices but have great 'width'. The synth engine of the V-Synth lacks stereo width. There's no way to pan one V-Synth osc left and the other to the right. OK, you don't always want to do that, but there's a narrow mono character in the overall sound.

Also the V-Synth effects quite limited and multi parts are damn near impossible to pull off. I'd call it a V-Disappointment

Cheers,
B
Whats up with the old fashioned way of creating a stereo field from mono source of hard panning the synth and adding a delay to opposite side by a few miliseconds to get it slightly out of phase ?

I'm not sure how the virus creates its stereo spread ... maybe it detunes certain frequencies to the left and certain frequencies to the right ?

I'm sold on the V-synth to be honest , everything I've heard from it has sounded amazing. It's on my "to buy" list but first I have to update my pc